College Football 2014: The crowning of Mariota

Kalbear

Hahaha I have said for years that if the sec had to prove themselves in a playoff they wouldn't be able to hack it. Vindicated! Competition is a bitch. Someday an sec team may even have to play a game not in the confederacy!

Now that we are in a playoff the sec doesn't have their preseason guaranteed NC berth awarded for just showing up... and it's a bitch to actually earn it on the field.

Now that we are in a playoff the sec doesn't have their preseason guaranteed NC berth awarded for just showing up... and it's a bitch to actually earn it on the field.

This is the way it should've been from the start. I mean, I hope this isn't its' final form (I think it should be at least a 12 team playoff, if not 16) but how the hell do you crown a champion on paper? Through a fucking poll? Welcome to the 21st century, NCAA Football. It took you long enough to get here.

This is the way it should've been from the start. I mean, I hope this isn't its' final form (I think it should be at least a 12 team playoff, if not 16) but how the hell do you crown a champion on paper? Through a fucking poll? Welcome to the 21st century, NCAA Football. It took you long enough to get here.

This system is nothing but a paper champion, and can't be anything but unless you completely blow up the foundation of the sport...

You guys are not watching a playoff. You are watching a bowl game that has been hyped by ESPN and an add one game. It is still complete and utter horseshit...

(Although the actual Sugarbowl was a fun game to watch.)

This system is nothing but a paper champion, and can't be anything but unless you completely blow up the foundation of the sport...

You guys are not watching a playoff. You are watching a bowl game that has been hyped by ESPN and an add one game. It is still complete and utter horseshit...

(Although the actual Sugarbowl was a fun game to watch.)

Agreed, but even this is infinitely better than the stupid Bowl system that has determined a champion in this sport for what, 65 years? Thank Dog this archaic bullshit is finally being drug into the modern world. The Bowl system is the primary reason I'm not a fan of college football, and I have an insane love for football. This is very much like the ACA to me. It's not yet where it needs to be, but it is a tremendous first step, given where it was before this change.

The best thing about tonight is that not 1 but BOTH evil teams got beat.

Great post, Manhole.

Ohio State is on their way to being evil. Not quite to Belichick/Saban 9th circle of hell evil, but definitely a lower circle, Mephistopheles/fat George Lucas evil.

Perhaps a righteous ass-whipping delivered by Saint Mariota can redeem them.

Ohio State is on their way to being evil. Not quite to Belichick/Saban 9th circle of hell evil, but definitely a lower circle, Mephistopheles/fat George Lucas evil.

I'm reminded of Judi Dench's awesome line at the beginning of the Chronicles of Riddick movie. "In normal times evil would be fought by good. But in times like these, well, it should be fought by another kind of evil."

Agreed, but even this is infinitely better than the stupid Bowl system that has determined a champion in this sport for what, 65 years? Thank Dog this archaic bullshit is finally being drug into the modern world. The Bowl system is the primary reason I'm not a fan of college football, and I have an insane love for football. This is very much like the ACA to me. It's not yet where it needs to be, but it is a tremendous first step, given where it was before this change.

The ACA sucks because it is half measured bullshit as well. Healthcare should be provided for every citizen in a civilized country period, end of story, full stop.

The college football "playoffs" sucks because they aren't crowning a champion, just like the BCS didn't actually crown a champion, and neither did the AP and coaches polls before that.

College football is a regional sport that is loosely held together and the competition and rule enforcement from conference to conference is so vastly different that there is not enough similarity to fairly assess what teams should even be in a playoff" system.

What we have here is certainly not a playoff.

Umm... isn't Oregon funded by Phil Knight and Nike? I'm sure that everything is on the up and up with them fellas.

The ACA sucks because it is half measured bullshit as well. Healthcare should be provided for every citizen in a civilized country period, end of story, full stop.

The college football "playoffs" sucks because they aren't crowning a champion, just like the BCS didn't actually crown a champion, and neither did the AP and coaches polls before that.

College football is a regional sport that is loosely held together and the competition and rule enforcement from conference to conference is so vastly different that there is not enough similarity to fairly assess what teams should even be in a playoff" system.

What we have here is certainly not a playoff.

Bottom line for me, anything that brings it closer to crowning a champion on the field is a superior system. This is a step in the right direction. I look forward to seeing how it evolves over the next few years.

Archived