The price of oil - Christmas comes early!

Fragile Bird

I want to say I remember paying around 79 cents around 2000 in Indiana... but that might have been a dream...

I started driving in 97. I want to say it was around 99 that prices fell below a buck for the last time.

• 3 weeks later...

$2.12 is the lowest I've seen in San Antonio. And the price keeps on dropping 3 cents every four days or so. I wonder when it'll bottom out.

So 3 weeks since December 17 and gas prices are now $1.91 here. My mom tells me they are down to $1.78 back home in Louisiana. Anyone else kinda hoping the price will quit dropping so it won't be as much of a shock when the cost of fuel begins to go up again?

Tthey're saying that it has bottomed out today.

I'm kind of devastated that you felt the need to lie to me ToL :bawl: .

So 3 weeks since December 17 and gas prices are now $1.91 here. My mom tells me they are down to $1.78 back home in Louisiana. Anyone else kinda hoping the price will quit dropping so it won't be as much of a shock when the cost of fuel begins to go up again?

I'm kind of devastated that you felt the need to lie to me ToL :bawl: .

Did I say that? :P

What the hell do I know. If I were **that** certain, I would have scooped up some oil stocks. Now I wish I would have shorted them. :(

I filled up for $1.57/gallon today. I need to talk to my friends working the oil fields around here to see if the falling energy prices are causing them to worry about layoffs. From what I've read, we're quickly approaching the break even point where shale extraction will no longer be profitable.

I can't help but think that the bolded above is exactly the goal of the "oil powers-that-be."

Did I say that? :P

What the hell do I know. If I were **that** certain, I would have scooped up some oil stocks. Now I wish I would have shorted them. :(

Meh. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. I'm sure I'll get over being devastated eventually :D .

They say oil, which closed at $48.65 today, may fall into the $30s...

I wouldn't count on it. I think the bottom line for Brent crude oil lays somewhere between $40 and $50. But I think the more important question is how long is it gonna last. I mean oil prices below $60. Because oil is going to recover to at least $80-$100, eventually. But will it be this year, next year, later?

we're quickly approaching the break even point where shale extraction will no longer be profitable.

As for who is gonna suffer the most, the cost of unconventional oil (which is mostly produced in US and Canada) is generally higher than the cost of conventional oil, but it is also much more flexible. Which means, that US producers might reduce substantially the number of rigs in the face of today's oil prices (it's already happening), but they will also be able to relatively quickly restore their production once the prices go up to the satisfactory level, unlike, say, Russian producers, hit by weak oil prices, and additionally Western sanctions and weak currency.

Prices just spiked here--from $1.76 to $2.09.

We saw about a 30 cent jump after the first of the year in some areas, but that was due to various changes in taxes. It's already drifted back down about 6 or 7 cents in some areas. Of course, it always goes down much slower than it goes up.

Archived