R+L=J v.121

Jon Weirgaryen

Unless Gendry's right that the comet is a "red sword", and Chayle that it's "the sword that slays the season" and it's on its way back to cleanse via the power of boom. Maybe the LB legend is one of those personification of natural events type myths.

I think it's coming back... but I don't think it will go boom...

I'm sure that it must have been pointed out already, but just in case it hasn't I have found a quote from Ser Barristan that may prove Jon's legitimacy. " Prince Rhaegar loved his Lady Lyanna and thousands died for it."

Doesn't the word his imply possession i.e. wife?

Lyanna was a noble. She was always Lady Lyanna

In AGOT, Ser Rodrick looks at Catelyn and it says he "looked at his lady." Vardis Egen obeys commands from "his lady", who is Lysa Arryn.

So it does not necessarily mean marriage. Also, I don't think that, if there was a wedding, Barristan would have known about it.

From everything we know, Barristan knows the least out of the people alive

From everything we know, Barristan knows the least out of the people alive

He may not know the details of R and L and why R and L did what they did, but Selmy does know Rhaegar. He may not have been part of the inner circle but he can speak to R's character and honor.

In AGOT, Ser Rodrick looks at Catelyn and it says he "looked at his lady." Vardis Egen obeys commands from "his lady", who is Lysa Arryn.

So it does not necessarily mean marriage. Also, I don't think that, if there was a wedding, Barristan would have known about it.

The Tully sisters are the wives of their (deceased) liege lords though. They are Rodrick's/Vardis' Ladies because their husbands were their Lords. They are their social superiors. None of those hierarchy questions apply to R+L. If anything, the authority runs the other way around.

He may not know the details of R and L and why R and L did what they did, but Selmy does know Rhaegar. He may not have been part of the inner circle but he can speak to R's character and honor.

I just meant he didn't exactly spend time with Rhaegar during the war, so we don't know what he knows or if he even knows anything.

Obviously though he was his guard for many years so he can speak on general stuff about Rhaegar though.

The Tully sisters are the wives of their (deceased) liege lords though. They are Rodrick's/Vardis' Ladies because their husbands were their Lords. They are their social superiors. None of those hierarchy questions apply to R+L. If anything, the authority runs the other way around.

Joffrey also refers to Sansa as his lady in AGOT (he tells his retainers to bring food and wine for their prince and "his lady"). Joffrey (crown prince) and Sansa (daughter of the Lord of Winterfell) occupy exactly the same social positions that Rhaegar and Lyanna did, and it was appropriate to refer to Sansa as "his lady" even though they weren't married.

EDIT: In ADWD, Tytos Lannister's mistress is referred to as "his lady." So it can mean a a mistress also.

There's still two little things bugging me about this....

When Catelyn asks Ned about Ashara, if I remember correctly, he responds by saying somthing like "don't ever ask me about Jon!" .....??

Also, when he first dreams of promise, he wakes up thinking of 'broken promises' if the promise was really keeping Jon safe, how the hell did he break it?

I know, I know, I'm the one behind the times on this theory I guess haha

When Catelyn asks Ned about Ashara, if I remember correctly, he responds by saying somthing like "don't ever ask me about Jon!" .....??

Also, when he first dreams of promise, he wakes up thinking of 'broken promises' if the promise was really keeping Jon safe, how the hell did he break it?

1. Welcome to the forums and RLJ!

2. That is Ned's response but it is also followed by, "he is my blood" (but not.."son") and Cat thinks about how whoever she was, Ned must have loved Jon's mother a lot...yet the only women he thinks about (except Cat) is Lyanna and in Ned 1 we learn that Ned loved Lyanna with all this heart.

3. The broken promise is still a mystery, but most people think it's telling Jon who he is (the son of R and L) and maybe that he is not a bastard at all (if RL were married)

He does. He then goes on to say that Jon is his "blood"...not son. But Ned isn't going to allow people to spread rumors about any woman...rumors are dangerous when you are hiding something.

We don't know what Ned promised Lyanna yet, so it very well could have been something he never fulfilled. Perhaps she asked him to tell Jon who his parents were...perhaps something else.

“They’ll burn my babe, then. The red woman. If she can’t have Dalla’s, she’ll burn mine.”

“Your son has no king’s blood. Melisandre gains nothing by giving him to the fire. Stannis wants the free folk to fight for him, he will not burn an innocent without good cause. [Jon's (Ned's) promises)] Your boy will be safe. I will find a wet nurse for him and he’ll be raised (at Winterfell) here at Castle Black under my protection. He’ll learn to hunt and ride, to fight with sword and axe and bow. I’ll even see that he is taught to read and write.” Sam would like that. “[Ned's broken promises (Jon's future foreshadowed)] And when he is old enough, he will learn the truth of who he is. He’ll be free to seek you out if that is what he wants.”

(At the black cells) The thought of Jon filled Ned with a sense of shame, and a sorrow too deep for words. If only he could see the boy again, sit and talk with him

Archived