True Knights?

GallowsKnight

A true knight is merely a plot device to make the nether parts of young highborn girls tingle while they wait to be shipped off to whatever lord their parents want an alliance or dowry from

It isn't exactly fair to judge all young girls by Sansa Stark. Arya for instance thought all of that stuff was garbage. I would say you would have a bit of a hard time getting the Sand Snakes to follow that line of thinking as well. Arianne used Arys Oakheart to her advantage. He was supposedly a true knight who dishonored himself due to the machinations of a young girl.

Dany isn't exactly fluttering her eyes at every knight that comes her way either. I would say men care much more about their "nether regions" at a younger age than girls and are much more apt to act upon those lowborn tingling sensations than highborn girls.

A true knight is merely a plot device to make the nether parts of young highborn girls tingle while they wait to be shipped off to whatever lord their parents want an alliance or dowry from

It's also an ideal that serves to make young boys/men strive to uphold certain social ideals. You might not agree with those ideals, but it doesn't just affect young girls. It also seems to have made at least one young girl, Brienne, strive to defend the weak and innocent, and along the way to remind Ser Jaime of his youthful attachment to chivalry in a way that seems to be improving his behavior (though we'll see how things turn out for him).

Does anyone manage to be perfect? Probably not. For me, "true knight" is one who at least strives to uphold the ideal, even if there are occasional situations in which he or she fails. I'd expect the true knight to at least have a conflict in such a situation, that for me would be a mark of the "truth" of his or her knighthood.

I'd definitely put Ser/My Lady Brienne on the list, despite her being excluded by the OP and the "rules" of knighthood in Westeros. Ser Brynden Tully, Ser Barristan, Ser Davos, Ser Beric, Ser Arys, would make my list, as I think we've had enough info about them to judge. Ser Rolland gets honorable mention, though we don't really have a lot of info about him, and from out of the main series Dunk. Arthur Dayne maybe, though I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding the Sword of the Morning.

No one can avoid being compromised, but even in Westeros, there are people who come close to being true knights.

Ser Barristan broke into Duskendale to rescue Aerys, to prevent Tywin storming the city and putting the population to the sword. Did he do wrong to rescue a mad tyrant; or right to save thousands of innocent people?

He did wrong. He knew Rhaegar would be a better king so he should have let the Mad King die.

to me a True knight is a warrior who conduct themself as honorable(Brienne and Duncan the Tall). the key for the honorable knight to live longer is to use their head and trust the right people. They also must protect a ruler from himself.

It isn't exactly fair to judge all young girls by Sansa Stark. Arya for instance thought all of that stuff was garbage. I would say you would have a bit of a hard time getting the Sand Snakes to follow that line of thinking as well. Arianne used Arys Oakheart to her advantage. He was supposedly a true knight who dishonored himself due to the machinations of a young girl.

Dany isn't exactly fluttering her eyes at every knight that comes her way either. I would say men care much more about their "nether regions" at a younger age than girls and are much more apt to act upon those lowborn tingling sensations than highborn girls.

I'm not judging anyone. A young woman's opinion does not change the purpose of myth. Arya does think it is garbage, but her sister most definitely does not. The sand snakes are not highborn, they are bastards and raised with a healthy dose of real from their dad. Arianne was able to use Sir Oakheart the way she did because he was not a true knight. If he was he would have remained true to his king and not defected to a would be usurper.

It's also an ideal that serves to make young boys/men strive to uphold certain social ideals. You might not agree with those ideals, but it doesn't just affect young girls. It also seems to have made at least one young girl, Brienne, strive to defend the weak and innocent, and along the way to remind Ser Jaime of his youthful attachment to chivalry in a way that seems to be improving his behavior (though we'll see how things turn out for him).

Does anyone manage to be perfect? Probably not. For me, "true knight" is one who at least strives to uphold the ideal, even if there are occasional situations in which he or she fails. I'd expect the true knight to at least have a conflict in such a situation, that for me would be a mark of the "truth" of his or her knighthood.

I'd definitely put Ser/My Lady Brienne on the list, despite her being excluded by the OP and the "rules" of knighthood in Westeros. Ser Brynden Tully, Ser Barristan, Ser Davos, Ser Beric, Ser Arys, would make my list, as I think we've had enough info about them to judge. Ser Rolland gets honorable mention, though we don't really have a lot of info about him, and from out of the main series Dunk. Arthur Dayne maybe, though I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding the Sword of the Morning.

The Ideal of "true knighthood" only serves as cover for the real nature of knighthood which is slaughter and killing, something that might be disturbing to young boys. It is not that I do not agree with the Ideals, it's that those Ideals are false, lies to allow children to appreciate socially sanctioned killers.

As for Brienne, she is an anomaly, one born out of an awkward youth of ridicule and shame, so she retreated into fantasy, a fantasy that she will never realize. The reality of wannabe knighthood has been one of more ridicule, threat, insult disrespect and injury. She had part of her face eaten off. That is "knighthood"

As for your list of knights, they are all killers, mostly fighting foes that are less skilled and less armed. One isnt even a fighter, he is a smuggler, a knight in name only (Kino if you will) which is why he holds the ideal so well. There is a good chance that Dunk was never actually Knighted by ser Arlan.

As for Arthur Dayne, he had to live up to the ideal, that is how he got the sword. So one "True Knight," a couple of almosts, and then there are the Jamies and Gregors, and Amorys and Tywin Lannisters.

Any knight can be a "true knight".

He only need to uphold the oath of knighthood: be brave, be just, defending the young, defending the innocent and protecting the women.

He can swear any other oath - to a king or lord - and stay a true knight, until his lord or king order him to act against the oath of knighthood and the knight obeys and breaks his vows of chivalry, automatically becoming a false knight.

But is still is choice: be poor and a true knight, defender of the opressed and weak; or being rewarded, by unjust and cruel kings and lords, and become a false knight and a mockery of what a knight truly is: a warrior champion of the innocent, and not simply a professional killer.

Transposed from the other accidental double thread

^ Gotta disagree on Beric there. Kidknaping and ransoming little girls really isn't honorable.

They didn't kidnap her, they found her. Robb Stark is technically their enemy as well (because they're loyal to the old dead king robert), so there's no dishonour in ransoming a valuable hostage back to the enemy. Especially if you use that ransom to feed the poor.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived