If you could put sole blame on a single person for the events that follows in ASoIaF, who would it be?

Pecnut

Rhaegar may have caused RR, but that ended years ago.

Cersei and Catelyn caused tWot5K.

Can people please stop blaming Cat!!!

Tyrion's arrest changed NOTHING! This war was always going to happen because Robert's heir was actually an incestuous bastard, Stannis was already planning for war, Ned was still going to find out, Littlefinger was still scheming etc.

If I'm going to blame anyone I blame the Lannister twins, it takes two to tango so you can't blame only one :dunno:

Also here's a list people (no particular order) you can blame BEFORE Cat!

• Jaime Lannister
  • Cersei Lannister
  • Littlefinger
  • Robert Baratheon
  • Lysa Arryn
  • Littlefinger
  • Stannis Baratheon
  • Jon Arryn
  • Ned Stark
  • Joffrey Baratheon
  • Tywin Lannister
  • Varys
  • Rhaegar Taragryen
  • Lyanna Stark
  • Brandon Stark
  • Aerys Targaryen
  • Renly Baratheon

I love Ned (Ned and Davos are my two favs) but he shouldn't have told Cersei. Cersei herself says that she killed Robert sooner than she would have because of Ned.

Ned doesn't tell Cersei. Cersei doesn't move against Robert. Robert returns from hunt. Ned tells Robert.

Robert executes Cersei, Jaime, possibly all three of the children. That stops Stannis and Renly, forces LF to switch plans, forces Tywin to either start a civil war, or retreat to the Rock. I think he might choose to retreat, as even a whiff of incest would so humiliate the Lannisters that they might find it difficult to find allies. Also, if Robert is free of Cersei, he could offer a marriage alliance to, say, the Tyrells. Ned remains Hand. Robb remains at WF. War of the Five Kings doesn't happen.

Yeah, true. I guess he brought it all to Westeros though, which is one of the roots of the issues.

Incest seems to be practiced by others besides the Targs too, Tywin married his 1st cousin, and so did Ned's parents,

Of course the brother/sister thing seems to be unique to the Targs though,

Everything can be traced back to Manfred Lothson. If he hadn't betrayed Daemon, then the Blackfyres would've won. That means no Aerys, no Rhaegar, no Robert, no Varys (presumably). No war of the Ninepenny Kings, so Littlefinger never happens.

Everything can be traced back to Manfred Lothson. If he hadn't betrayed Daemon, then the Blackfyres would've won. That means no Aerys, no Rhaegar, no Robert, no Varys (presumably). No war of the Ninepenny Kings, so Littlefinger never happens.

If Daenys the Dreamer dreamed of pretty boys instead of the Doom, then there would be no Daemon :)

Bloodraven. He's been warging into everything, messing with people's dreams and thus their perceptions. He set up everything from Summerhall onward, leading to the current generations of characters being born to their specific parents, in order to lead to Bran taking over as head administrator of the WeirNet, dragons being reborn, etc.

Quite often in a song of ice and fire, I repeatedly come across "This never would have happened if such and such..." So in your own personal opinion (entirely opinion orientated), who do you think is responsible for the sequence of events that follows in the series?

I blame all the folks who make "What If" threads about a fictional story without the writers input

I think its def Cersei Lannister. Nearly every single storyline is influenced by her actions. I'd go as far as to say that without Cersei, the Mad King may still be alive (if Cersei hadn't made Jaime Kingsguard, Jaime would have never killed Aerys).

Brandon Stark, Eddard's elder brother.

If he had killed Littlefinger in the duel, a lot of intrigue doesn't happen. And if he doesn't ride to King's Landing to insult Rhaegar but lets his father deal with it, who knows?

This. It's all Brandon's fault. Not killing Littlefinger was catastrophic in hindsight. Plus he provoked the Mad King.

Archived