"ret conning" in ASOIAF

Ser Uncle P

Lannisters are Andals. The Andals took over all the kingdoms save the North.

Maybe you meant that Lann the Clever being a First Man is a retcon?

That was retconned in WOIAF. Andals never conquered Westerlands, the same Lannisters that ruled Westerlands before Andal invasion ruled it after it and the marriage that made Lannisters part Andal had nothing to do with the invasion - it happened long after Andals settled in the Westerlands and was a result of inheritance laws and nothing else.

IMO the Bashir detail was too much of a whopper of a detail to introduce so late. In contrast the Cersei/Rhaegar detail does build on Book 1 details about Tywin turning on Aerys.

Maggy is a bit cheesy, but I agree, making Lannisters First Men is blatant ret conning, hadn't noticed that. Maybe we can pin that one on Elio ;)

A moment, please. Making Lannisters First Men... in which book? There's "A Game of Thrones", establishing them as descendants of (legendary) Lann the Clever from the Age of Heroes, the Westerlands' Bran the Builder. Most recently, there's TWOIAF, and its narrator's speculations as who Lann the Clever might have been (Some say he was an Andal adventurer from across the narrow sea, though this was millennia before the coming of the Andals to Westeros). So, where is it said that the Lannisters are First Men?

He isn't given entire control. And he did respond to Robb's banners. He may have always had the treachery in mind, but if the Stark cause was more successful with a good foreseeable outcome he never would have betrayed.

Neither explains why Ned's alleged distrust of Roose Bolton is never even brought up. By anyone. And Cat doesn't spare it a single thought.

making Lannisters First Men is blatant ret conning, hadn't noticed that. Maybe we can pin that one on Elio ;)

That being said, this retcon fixed one problem that was present with the Lannisters - why would an Andal House be named after a First Man hero?

The whole concept of "No man is as accursed as the kinslayer" could be a bit of a retcon. Killing a family member is a horrible crime, sure, but during the earlier book it never seemed to be this completely unforgivable act that could never be justified, no matter the circumstances.

Because we didn't have any early kinslaying acts. The first is Stannis, and look how many people on here dispute that.

Tyrion's gymnastic athleticism the first time we meet him never comes up again.

George admitted that it was a mistake as back then he didnot know the handicaps of dwarfism and such movements were impossible for dwarfs.

The whole concept of "No man is as accursed as the kinslayer" could be a bit of a retcon. Killing a family member is a horrible crime, sure, but during the earlier book it never seemed to be this completely unforgivable act that could never be justified, no matter the circumstances.

That didn't really change. And this "no man is so accursed as the kinslayer" mantra was said once by Rickard Karstark facing Robb's axe, once Davos Seaworth trying everything he could think of to save Edric Storm's life, and constantly by Tyrion fueling his pity party in "Dance".

But all in all, Walder Frey's crime gets more flak.

Because we didn't have any early kinslaying acts. The first is Stannis, and look how many people on here dispute that.

So Dany just watching her brothers brain get melted by gold doesn't count. Don't get me wrong, Viserys was a horrible man and totally had it coming, but it still counts.

George admitted that it was a mistake as back then he didnot know the handicaps of dwarfism and such movements were impossible for dwarfs.

George tried to use a flashback in Dance to fix this. It still doesn't make much sense though I will admit. Renly's eye color changing from blue to green in a mistake as well.

So Dany just watching her brothers brain get melted by gold doesn't count.

Yes, you're right. It doesn't count. It was not her that did it, and she could not prevent it even if she tried. That she didn't try does not make it kinslaying. Why try and stop something that thousands of khals were definitely going to make happen?

So Dany just watching her brothers brain get melted by gold doesn't count. Don't get me wrong, Viserys was a horrible man and totally had it coming, but it still counts.

Pretty sure that "not actively preventing your kin from getting themselves stupidly killed by threatening your life" is not "kinslaying"

Yes, you're right. It doesn't count. It was not her that did it, and she could not prevent it even if she tried. That she didn't try does not make it kinslaying. Why try and stop something that thousands of khals were definitely going to make happen?

because he's the last living member of your family still alive, but that's totally not important, lol

I'd argue that watching and not doing anything doesn't really constitute kinslaying. Also, the whole "no man is as accursed as a kinslayer" stuff is Westeros-centric, and Dany is culturally like Pentoshi and Dothraki. She could probably care less about the faith of the seven.

A moment, please. Making Lannisters First Men... in which book? There's "A Game of Thrones", establishing them as descendants of (legendary) Lann the Clever from the Age of Heroes, the Westerlands' Bran the Builder. Most recently, there's TWOIAF, and its narrator's speculations as who Lann the Clever might have been (Some say he was an Andal adventurer from across the narrow sea, though this was millennia before the coming of the Andals to Westeros). So, where is it said that the Lannisters are First Men?

Lann being an Andal is just a speculation of some based on nothing and it is doubtful anyway that he was an Andal. The House that he established was obviously a First Man House. The thing is, before WOIAF it was said that the current House Lannister was established by Andal adventurers who conquered Westerlands and by Andal king marrying a female descendant of Lann the Clever. After WOIAF it was all changed. The Andals didn't conquer Westerlands and establish the current House Lannister - it is now the same house that was founded by Lann, thus, historically a First Man house.

because he's the last living member of your family still alive, but that's totally not important, lol

The last living member who had just threatened to give her a forced abortion with a sword. She didn't owe him help. The taboo is against kinslayers, not kin ignoring.

Pretty sure that "not actively preventing your kin from getting themselves stupidly killed by threatening your life" is not "kinslaying"

I agree.

The last living member who had just threatened to give her a forced abortion with a sword. She didn't owe him help. The taboo is against kinslayers, not kin ignoring.

I agree.

I love the hypocrisy in "not saving someone" and "killing them". I mean this has Batman Begins ending written all over it, lol

Doesn't matter if she had good reason, she allowed her brother to be murdered.

I love the hypocrisy in "not saving someone" and "killing them". I mean this has Batman Begins ending written all over it, lol

Where's the hypocrisy? She could not have saved him if she tried, so she didn't try, but Viserys also gave her good reason not to try. It's pretty simple.

Archived