NFL Playoffs Divisional Round part 2: Who is Elite in Foxboro?

Trebla

Simon has been a weak link. I hope they won't be relying on him next week.

Yeah, I didn't see for sure because I was getting the kids to bed but it looks like maybe Maxwell was hurt and they just wanted to use their next "tall" CB on Benjamin? Is that why Simon is listed as the back-up LCB behind Sherman but was playing on the right side? Or was Sherman out and Simon was just manned up on Benjamin?

Also, 2 for 2 today but I have Dallas and Denver tomorrow so that could easily make it 2 for 4 for this week.

It was the best sporting event I have ever seen in person.

About half way through the game I realized what I was watching- I was watching the 2014 Patriots play the 2003 Patriots. I was watching a well-coached team with this veteran QB who was leading a team of vets with a hungry defense lead buy a Hall of Famer Cornerback who dial up these crazy plays …

… playing this incredible coach with this clutch-in-the-playoffs QB leading this team of no-names on offense who go for it at WILL on fourth down and a vet defense filled with monsters in the front…

And I don’t know who actually played better. If you play that game 100 times, who wins the 100th time?

The game started exactly as the Nightmare Scenario would: Ravens get the ball and drive for two scores to gp 14-0 and it was like the same old story- can’t stop the Ravens in the playoffs; up where I was sitting my buddy was openly discussing not renewing his season tickets next season. Watching Brady jump-start the offense with that rushing TD and then hitting Gronk, it was insane.

And then Brady seemed like he gave the game right back. That INT- his only one –was terrible; maybe the worst INT he has thrown in the playoffs (he had one terrible one in that 09 game, and the 2003 Superbowl he threw it RIGHT AT a Panthers defender in the end zone). Tom Brady, in that one moment, with the game tied and the Pats driving with 2:00 left in the half, that “Score-at-the-end-of-the-Half-Then-Get-The-Ball-Back-In-the-Second-Half” thing the Pats are known for… to throw that pick… that’s something Matt Stafford does; that’s something a Manning does; that’s something Andy Dalton, Ryan Fitzparick, Ryan Tannehil … that’s something THE OTHER GUY does!

That’s why watching the Ravens was like watching the 2003 Pats- this tough, tried, true, utterly unflappable team just FEAST on the mistakes THE OTHER GUY MAKES! The Pats- BRADY – for that sliver of time, the Pats WERE the OTHER GUYS! They then give up the score and in the second half, go 3-and-out and then drop 28-14, and for the second time in the game, the Pats are down by 14 and for the second time everyone in that place was thinking “Jesus Christ, the fucking Ravens; they are in Brady’s head; Harbaugh is out-coaching Belichick… I GOT TO LISTEN TO STUPID STORIES ABOUT HOW THE PATS CAN’T GET IT DONE IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!! (that last one was just me).

The TD- Edleman to Amendola (like, you know, defenses were preparing for all season) –was something the 2001 Pats would have done (and DID actually do); the Patriots then force a turnover (do nothing with it) and then the D toughened up and then…

…look, that INT Brady threw was total fucking shit. I could see the odor fumes coming off it (that may have been the last bits of heat leaving my body- it was fucking cold). I know that.

That last drive was Tom Brady. The offense could not run the ball (they barely tried); the Pats’ pass rush was – by design – anemic. Even Revis had given up a TD and had been called for PI (first time a PI was accepted on Revis all season). To come back from 14 down … TWICE and to then… that pass to Lefell. Brady took some rough hits; he played nails in the second half. Absolute fucking Nails. It happened down by our end-zone; right in front of us; it was a pass that looked like it was 10 yards overthrown and then looked like it would be picked and then… then the Pats had the lead.

And won.

Flacco’s INT- that last one –was a terrible decision. There is no need to throw that pass. The Ravens were moving the ball, For THAT one play, Flacco became what he has never been in the playoffs. Flacco was “the other guy.”

John Harbaugh is a tremendous coach; Joe Flacco is the QB that turns it on in the playoffs. That D is tough. Going for it three times on fourth down was Balls-out.

But the Pats were better. In all of these departments, the Pats were better. The Pats coached just a little better, their QB played just a little better and the D played just a little better. When it was time to dial up the trickery- the ineligible receiver thing, the lateral-to-Edleman-TD-to-Amendola TD, that was something special.

It was an insane game to be at; the highs and the lows were all mixed up; Flacco hitting 3-for-3 on 4th down; the Pats scoring TDs on all their red zone opportunities. The trick plays, the head-games; the coaching, and the QBs.

Lost in this were these little stories- Suggs was a non-factor; Danny Amendola was huge. Harbaugh v. Belichick may have been the most amazing match-up - coach v. coach -I have ever seen.

I’ve never seen anything like it in person.

Next week? No clue. I had no idea what my name was when this game was over; don't know how I can figure out what will happen next week. The Broncos may be able to feast on this defense; Brady was flung around a bit; Browner left the game and did not return.

Maybe the Broncos can catch that lighting in the bottle.

Or maybe, next week, they will be the Other Guy.

So jelly right now. I can only imagine how apeshit that place went on that Edelman to Amendola play. That was a thing of beauty. It must have been damn near euphoric to have been there in the flesh. Amazing game from start to finish.

That play was insane.

As far as "euphoric"... only after the fact. After it was all over- the turn-overs, the penalties, the 4th-and-go-home plays; the ... the Brady... after it was all over... okay then AND ONLY THEN could I really enjoy it and looking back on it all, it was completely amazing.

But while it was going on.... at one point Right BEFORE the Edleman to Amendola TD, the Pats had just stopped the Ravens on a 3-and-out and I turned to my buddy and said, "Jesus Christ... they need to score a TD here... and ... and even if they do... There are twenty minutes left in this game!" That game was 60 minutes of wall-to-wall football and while it was going on you felt the WEIGHT of every single drive, decision, play and scheme. Every single play mattered. And everyone felt it. I felt it.

It was incredible; it was aggravating; it was intense; it was awful; it was ... it was the best game I ever saw. I was so lucky to be there.

<snip>

Congratulations, this is probably the first time ever I was thinking I wish the "other guy" (Brady) was my QB. The way he he came back in the second half was amazing.

That being said, Ravens could have won the game if Flacco does not take that shot. As you said they were driving. And we WOULD be discussing how Brady and Belichick can not get it done in the playoffs any more. Football really is a game of inches.

As far as "euphoric"... only after the fact. After it was all over- the turn-overs, the penalties, the 4th-and-go-home plays; the ... the Brady... after it was all over... okay then AND ONLY THEN could I really enjoy it and looking back on it all, it was completely amazing.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Basking in the afterglow, if you will.

I am re-watching the game on NFL Network so... I'm up...

I JUST WATCHED THIS:

http://deadspin.com/nbc-carries-nfls-water-with-pre-written-statement-on-mu-1678746476

Its Al Michaels basically making it PERFECTLY OBVIOUS that he is reading a prepared script in defense of Rodger Goodell; what an absolute freaking shit-show. How fucking pathetic. I don't blame Michaels or Collinsworth. The NFL basically told their "satellite entities" to force-feed us all the Kool Aid.

What a shitty, shitty PR move.

Okay, so like I said, watching the Pats game v. Ravens on NFL Network. And its seems pretty clear the broadcast did not - in any way- describe the "ineligible receiver" wrinkle that Belichick threw at Harbaugh, that caused the unsportsmanlike conduct and derailed the Ravens temporarily. It was actually VERY clear attending the game what was going on, even though I - and turns out, John Harbaugh- had never seen anything like that before.

With about 8 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter with the Ravens up 28-14, the Pats were driving and eating up chuncks of yardage when, suddenly, Shane Vareen reported as "ineligible." The ref ANNOUNCED IT to the whole stadium. The Pats lined up only 4 interior linemen and Vareen lined up on the right. The Ravens, confused, still put a player over Vareen for coverage. The ball was snapped and Vareen jumped back into the backfield and looked like he was trying to get a pass (this confused the Ravens more). THe result of the play was an 11 yard catch by Edleman.

Next play (1st down), Vareen did the same thing; the refs AGAIN announced that Vareen ("Number 34") was reporting as "ineligible." And again, the Ravens put a guy over Vareen* (Full Disclosure, I THOUGHT the second time they did this, it was Hoomanawanui (#47) who was reporting as "ineligible" but not sure any longer). And again, Vareen took two steps back into the Pats backfield, looking like he was going for a pass and again, this messed up the Ravens. Edleman caught a short pass for 4 yards.

Between these plays you could see Harbaught hopping up and down, but nobody was paying attention to him. Again, full disclosure: I have been watching football on TV since ~1984-1985>I have N-E-V-E-R heard a player come into the game and announced that he was "IN-eligible." Everyone I was sitting with thought it was the craziest thing we had ever seen... BUT ... we saw IMMEDIATELY the impact it had on the Ravens- we yelled out how utterly CRAZY it was that the Ravens were STILL putting a guy over Vareen... EVEN THOUGH Vareen had said - and the ref announced what Vareen was doing- that he was an ineligible receiver (you cannot hear it at all in the broadcast on the first two plays; you can kind of make it out on the third- which I will get to).

Next play (2nd down) ... THEY DID IT AGAIN! And AGAIN the ref clearly says for everyone to hear that #34 was "ineligible," AND AGAIN the Ravens put a player on Vareen AND AGAIN Vareen jumps back and looks like he's trying to get a pass. This time it was a 14 yard pass to Hoomanawanui. At this point, Harbaugh is apoplectic and he runs on to the field just to get a ref's attention and is flagged (because, apparently, he's no Dez Braynt).

But the damage was done. The whole time it was so freaking crazy because the Ravens were putting a guy on Vareen and it was screwing them up. TWo plays later was the TD and the momentum started to ... shift...

We have often joked that while we call him "Darth Hoodie," if there ever was a villain that Bill Belichick resembled it was Tywin Lannister. The Collective Wisdom is not that the Lannisters are any better at war, or that their men are better fighters or that the Lannisters are using their advantages better, etc. No- the Lannisters, we are told, "scheme" better than their enemies; and when push comes to shove, they can be more cunning, sneakier and more strategic than any other clan.

And that was what this felt like. It FELT like Belichick was doing his best Tywin Lannister impersonation and "scheming" and using slight-of-hand, trickery and cunning to out wit and out smart not just the enemy... but the whole concept of what the rules of war/of the game were in the FIRST place.

Harbaugh is now complaining about it; which is his right AND ... his obligation. I don't begrudge him that.

But when you say, "nobody has ever seen that before" ... yeah... see... that's something somebody who lost to Tywin Lannister would say.

Someone is getting cranky. Already resigned to your new Manning losing to your old Manning?

Not at all. I'm resigned to the Patriots in the Superbowl, it doesn't matter who wins today. The Broncos will not beat NE in NE because Manning is horseshit in the playoffs and he's even worse in NE. And the Colts simply don't have the talent to contend with Belichick, because he'll do the smart thing and attack our 101 weaknesses. The narrative for the AFC Championship was written the second Flacco threw that game ending pick.

"Manning's legacy tarnished? Manning's offense falters in NE, will Future Hall of Famer return for another season?"

and

"Colts run out of Luck? After a strong wildcard showing, Colts QB Andrew Luck returns to his turnover prone ways in NE. Can Luck find success in the playoffs?"

Forget that Luck will be throwing 3 INT's vs New England because he's carrying the Albatross that is the rest of the roster around his neck, and forget that we already know exactly what Peyton Manning is, focus on pretending that this was an exciting matchup!

I'm tired of New England, and I'm tired of Peyton Fucking Manning. At least NE is fun to watch, 'cause they're really fucking well coached, but it's gotten stale for me seeing Brady sleepwalk through the last 6 weeks of the season before coming out of his coma to make his guaranteed appearance in the AFC Championship game. And seeing Manning piss down his leg is even worse, because I used to make excuses for that fucker.

I wanted something fresh, and of course I wanted my team to have a favorable matchup against Baltimore, but to see people calling for Manning v Brady AGAIN is the definition of insanity to me.

ETA: Rex Ryan is expected to sign with the Bills today. That's absolutely mind boggling. Literally the worst of the available jobs he could have accepted. No 1st round pick, no QB, no free agent attractions. I guess his obsession with Belichick is just that strong. Wonder if he'll get cheered when he walks into New Medowlands once a year.

Let's hope Bill doesn't suffer the same fate as Tywin. Although who would be his Tyrion?

Hmmm... gotta be Josh McDaniels, right? He brought McDaniels up through the ranks; McDaniels does idolize Belichick; Belichick sort of disowned McDaniels for a while. They work well together ... but ... one of them wants to be declared heir to the "Rock" and hasn't yet...

ETA: Rex Ryan is expected to sign with the Bills today. That's absolutely mind boggling. Literally the worst of the available jobs he could have accepted. No 1st round pick, no QB, no free agent attractions. I guess his obsession with Belichick is just that strong. Wonder if he'll get cheered when he walks into New Medowlands once a year.

Bills have a great defense and no QB. Sticking with what he knows, I guess.

Archived