NFL Playoffs Conference Championship Week: Can we have a controversy free weekend, please?

Trebla

John Mara on PI/Catch rules:

“We had this discussion a few years ago with the Calvin Johnson catch and decided not to make any changes. But I really think we need to discuss that again because I was not happy watching that, because it just didn’t look right. It looked like it was a catch. But if you go back and look at the language of the rule and read the part about having to control the ball all the way to the ground, you realize that it was probably the right call.

“But do we have to tweak the rules a little bit? I think maybe we do.”

Damn right. Experienced fans should be able to recognize what a catch is. The NFL, man, they've piled arcane rules on top of rules such that when your eye is telling you it's a catch (or it's a fumble in the case of the Tuck Rule), it'll get undone by some absurd exception. It's like the fucking tax code at this point.

He also said he'll look into making PI penalties reviewable which about time. These arbitrary restrictions on what's reviewable and what isn't has long been asinine (see the Navarro Bowman play from last NFCG). Review everything a coach is willing to challenge. If it's inconclusive or grey at all just stick with the call on the field.

I think Fangio was going to leave of his own accord. I'd like to think they'd keep him otherwise, but they appear to be getting rid of any Harbaugh people, so who knows. As to why they denied the interview, I don't get much sense of a real plan at work here.

Outside of being petty dicks. That seems to be York's M.O.

I'm sorry that I write stuff that people... like to read (seriously- I am a little stunned; I have received a number of compliments on what I write and frankly... its really nice of people... I didn't expect people to be so nice to what I write). I'm sorry that I have fun- mostly at my own expense. I'm sorry I am a Patriots fan- not like you; you're so above it all.

Just as a quick aside, I really enjoyed your posts over in the Charlie Hebdo threads. Really solid stuff.

I really liked the rant too. I thought it was funny and passionate. I liked the earlier post about the Ravens game more, but both are good. Rock's a very good writer. And much like many good writers, he has a habit of using the truth when it suits him and making stuff up when it makes a better story.

The false apology thing gets a bit old though. I'd think he'd be above passive aggressive teenage angsty stuff. Rock is happiest when he's playing the villain. Being the whiny villain isn't a good look.

I miss having Stego in these threads.

Not a sideways shot at you, Rock, you know I love your rants. But I miss Stego's perspective and incisive cantankerousness.

ETA: For the mourning 49er fans: it can't be worse than Dennis Erickson yet, right? At least there's some talent on the team.

Also, in my fanbase news: Apparently it's a done deal and John Fox is going to be the next coach of the Bears. To steal Manhole's deal, I think that this is just a big pile of...meh.

I would have personally preferred Bowles and tolerated Ryan. I would have also liked Dan Quinn, though that would have required waiting. After two years I've decided that I like my Bears to be about the defense. That's who the Bears are for me, and it just feels too weird to have a good offense and a porous defense like 2013. Mind you, it feels worse to have a mediocre offense and a bad defense like we did this year.

People still say the greatest dynasty in the NFL ever only happened because of steroids.

ETA: There's just no way the ineligible receiver play has large far-reaching ramifications. It's a gimmick, and only worked because the Ravens were extremely stupid. As every Pats fan here has stated the players were clearly announce ineligible long before the play was snapped. Any other defense probably just lays it's ears back and takes advantage of a four person line.

Lombardi's Packers were roidheads?

Also, in my fanbase news: Apparently it's a done deal and John Fox is going to be the next coach of the Bears. To steal Manhole's deal, I think that this is just a big pile of...meh.

I would have personally preferred Bowles and tolerated Ryan. I would have also liked Dan Quinn, though that would have required waiting. After two years I've decided that I like my Bears to be about the defense. That's who the Bears are for me, and it just feels too weird to have a good offense and a porous defense like 2013. Mind you, it feels worse to have a mediocre offense and a bad defense like we did this year.

I mean John Fox is a defensive head coach albeit one less exciting than the hot DCs out there. Whether it was the DCs he hired or him, Denver's D got a lot better when Fox came to town. I find his conservatism maddening. But at least he's a legit head coach as opposed to Trestman who had a couple neat ideas but had no idea how to run an entire team.

See, this is the bullshit I'm talking about, Rock. Everything revolves around you. Other time zones? They just don't exist.

Well, I assumed that at best it was 1 or 2 AM where you were. Still kinda weird of you to say "I don't care" but also do the "Somebody-is-wrong-on-the-internet" thing.

Right - right after that bad loss, people were talking about the Pats.

See? Your explanation of the substance of those stories is utterly disingenuous. Those stories were not "KC rolls the Patriots." No. Those stories were: "The Patriots Dynasty is Over" and "There is a QB Controversy in New England." Neither were true; those stories, I dare say, showed the ulterior desires of many still out there: the desire that the end is nigh for the Pats; that they will go away and start losing, and get out of the way for fun things like Rex Ryan and Peyton Manning and other fun things the media likes. Would you not agree that that reaction was odd?

I mean I readily admit I went off the deep end when it happened, but seeing the National media do it? Odd, right?

It is a bit funny to say 'see, you're talking about the Pats too!' when I'm talking with you, Rock, and disagreeing. It's very Skip Bayless of you. Say something outrageous and then be all 'see, everyone's talking about this outrageous thing I made up!' Well, yeah. That's what is commonly called trolling.

See? Why do you have to be like that? Skip Bayless? Trolling? Please. Give me more credit than that.

Also, I don't think I am saying anything "outrageous" (beyond the bounds of human decency). I am trying to say stuff that is "provocative" but you nit-pick; you have to find fault with every word or sentence, losing meaning in the whole narrative. Its constant with you- I constantly wade threw posts between you and another boarder where you say "Then why did you say X" or "Then why didn't you say Y" and its like reading a terrible lawyer try to get out of a parking ticket. People have to explain and re-explain things that are minor items in their larger points.

I really liked the rant too. I thought it was funny and passionate. I liked the earlier post about the Ravens game more, but both are good. Rock's a very good writer.

Thank you; awfully nice of you to say. I feel the same way about you when you write short little comments about players, when you discuss your wife and her hatred of the Bears front-office (was it Chris Canty she said was a "canary in the coal mine"? I forgot) I thought it was a very interesting observation that you recalled. I also like it when you talk more stats and how they interface with what people see and (for better or worse) what people THINK they see (that capitalization is a freebie).

And much like many good writers, he has a habit of using the truth when it suits him and making stuff up when it makes a better story.

But then... you can't just leave it, huh? Gotta grind the knife, right? I would like to think I am not "making stuff up." I did say that I "overreach" and then I explain what that meant.

The false apology thing gets a bit old though. I'd think he'd be above passive aggressive teenage angsty stuff. Rock is happiest when he's playing the villain. Being the whiny villain isn't a good look.

Its not an apology- false or otherwise. I was explaining the points and trying to "smooth things out" and not- as I fear you are doing - get a few digs in. And I don't appreciate being accused of "passive aggressive teenage angsty stuff" (I mean... pot... meet kettle... ).

As far as playing the villain... I kind of exhausted that platform in 2007 (and still have to explain that I was exaggerating for the fun of it....as far as you know). Its hard to recapture that magic when that team is gone and its not coming back. Oh, and hiring a guy who then killed 3 people takes the guild off that lily.

However, I try to be entertaining and be true as a Pats fan. I hate the Jets, love Tom Brady and try to have some fun here.

And I don't call people names. We should all try that.

Oh, but if the Pats win the Superbowl 55-10 over Seattle... you ... you all may need a court order.

ETA: For the mourning 49er fans: it can't be worse than Dennis Erickson yet, right? At least there's some talent on the team.

Well yeah, but that's setting the bar a bit lower than I want to see it. I don't have a big problem with Tomsula. I think the bigger issue here is the dysfunction being displayed by both the front office and Jed York. I really feel like they've painted themselves into a corner. You wait 3 weeks to name an inside guy whose worked for you for 8 years? And you want us to believe that this was your first choice? And now you've chopped the entire coaching staff and have to find quality replacements after the entire league has watched you throw your successful ex-Head Coach under the bus? It's not a good look.

Just as a quick aside, I really enjoyed your posts over in the Charlie Hebdo threads. Really solid stuff.

Very nice of you to say. I put a lot of thought into those posts, mostly because I was wrestling with my own views.

Regardless, like I said, you are very kind to read and compliment, whether you agree or not.

Very nice of you to say. I put a lot of thought into those posts, mostly because I was wrestling with my own views.

Regardless, like I said, you are very kind to read and compliment, whether you agree or not.

I thought you expressed yourself and your views on the situation very well, especially given the amount of pushback you were recieving. You stated many thoughts that I shared, but was unable to express with anything approaching the same eloquence and tact. Nice bit of writing, that. :thumbsup:

God fucking dammit. This scumbag better not be on the field on Sunday, or I'm writing letters to 31 30 teams asking who wants a new fan.

Looks like you're safe. He's been placed on the commissioner's exempt list.

McNary will not be allowed to practice or attend games with the team. In corresponding moves, the Colts added receiver Griff Whalen to the active roster and signed defensive end Gannon Conway to the practice squad.

But then... you can't just leave it, huh? Gotta grind the knife, right? I would like to think I am not "making stuff up." I did say that I "overreach" and then I explain what that meant.

Sorry, I figured you'd get the reference. It's a Mark Twain quote.

"Never let the truth stand in the way of a good story, unless you can't think of anything better."

Isn't your avatar Mark Twain? Yep, I'm sure of it.

Well... after a three-week bender... yeah.

And then there is this:

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2015/01/cowboys-gm-and-owner-jerry-jones-wins-pfwa-executive-of-the-year.html/

Jerry Jones has been named NFL Executive of the Year.

Let that sink in a bit.

(let the hate flow through you)

God... just ... wow...

Archived