Vinyl vs. digital: Is there really a difference?

Elder Sister

Okay. I got my turntable and I hooked it up to one of my better guitar amps. Am currently listening to Bobbie Gentry's greatest hits from around 1972. Am in heaven.

The sound is fantastic. I'm sure it's the amp quality, but I'm so pleased by this. Thanks for all of the advice, guys!

A little late to the party, but I have a record player and a modest collection. I actually use it all the time. My turntable is probably from the late 70's / early 80's. Bought it on craigslist and have never had any problems with it. I listen to digital music too, though. Sometimes I plug my ipod into the receiver at home and I pretty much require the ipod for the gym or driving.

There is something that I like about the sound of older vinyls that I think is usually preferable to buying those same albums in some kind of digital remastered form. I do not mind a little bit of hissing and popping as long as it isn't out of control. For newer vinyls, though, I can't really tell the difference honestly. When buying vinyls I'm either buying an album that I already know that I love -or- I'm raiding the discount racks looking for gems on the cheap. But, unless its like 5 bucks, I usually only buy a vinyl that I like all or most of the songs on there. It's definitely about the full album experience. I guess my point is that I think both digital and vinyl have their place as I do not treat them the same way.

I found some Buck Owens and Ray Price, as well as Charlie Daniels album for $2 each - they sound great. I was so excited! There's a very cool store close by that sells lots of old vinyl - found some cool Queen and ELO albums as well. I'm having fun with it. :)

I found some Buck Owens and Ray Price, as well as Charlie Daniels album for $2 each - they sound great. I was so excited! There's a very cool store close by that sells lots of old vinyl - found some cool Queen and ELO albums as well. I'm having fun with it. :)

Nice! I've got two Queen albums and an ELO myself. Yea, it is fun. I like it as a little side hobby, it's cool to check out record stores when you visit a new place and see what they've got. I have a decent variety of music in mine, mostly classic rock, a little bit of country, a little bit of metal. There are several record stores here in town and it took me a little while to find the right one. Which I found by walking into the wrong one and asking the guy if he had any Doom or Thrash. He said 'no' but pointed me to the right store.

The record store in my hometown is extremely heavy on the country selection so I picked up a few things in there last time I was home. Some Hank Sr., Merle Haggard, Willie, and Randy Travis.

ETA - as for cost, it really does vary. I got 5 or 6 albums a couple weeks ago for 20 bucks. However if it is something that I am specifically looking for, rather than just browsing around, a single album is usually $20+. There are a couple that I'd really love to have that are $80 or more, but I refuse to pay that much. I think my cap on a single album is about 30 bucks and at that price it has to be one that I already know.

We recently bought an older home that actually has an old-fashioned NuTone radio and record player built into it and when cleaning out the basement of our former home found a box of old 45s, mostly Motown. The radio, which has an intercom system, still works but we are still trying to get the record player to work. I cannot wait to listen to some of those records on it. I remember the days of enjoying listening to albums on a record player, but I'm old and also remember when my parents had an 8 track player in the car.

One of the things I enjoy about it is how I wind up talking to all of these people as I'm perusing the albums. Last week, I talked to a youngish guy (mid twenties) with lots of tattoos and piercings who was looking for death metal, and we were both talking to a woman about my age (mid-forties) who was looking for 80's stuff. The three of us had a great visit. I had never met them before, but they were so nice! We helped each other find stuff. They were pulling out Faron Young stuff for me and I was showing the young guy the Anthrax albums I found. I also found a super cheesy Ray Parker, Jr. album for the woman. We had a blast.

One of the things I enjoy about it is how I wind up talking to all of these people as I'm perusing the albums. Last week, I talked to a youngish guy (mid twenties) with lots of tattoos and piercings who was looking for death metal, and we were both talking to a woman about my age (mid-forties) who was looking for 80's stuff. The three of us had a great visit. I had never met them before, but they were so nice! We helped each other find stuff. They were pulling out Faron Young stuff for me and I was showing the young guy the Anthrax albums I found. I also found a super cheesy Ray Parker, Jr. album for the woman. We had a blast.

Fantastic! This is the reason I love buying (and selling) records, and do so almost exclusively in brick & mortar stores. That community,the connecting with like minded people that goes well beyond the basic experience of listening to music.

I snagged a copy of "To Lefty, from Willie". It's Willie Nelson singing songs by Lefty Frizzell and was recorded in 1977. The album is lovely. And yes, S John, something about all of those little pops and hissing noises on the vinyl seem to intensify the listening experience.

Am so happy with the whole setup.

So excellent.

Bloody young'uns! Until I was in my early thirties, vinyl was all there was. I still have more vinyl recordings than digital ones. In my experience, a quality turntable/arm/cartridge setup will cost more than a quality CD player, and the difference is substantial. But YMMV.

In my experience, a quality turntable/arm/cartridge setup will cost more than a quality CD player, and the difference is substantial. But YMMV.

Yep. We had a cheap turntable for a long time, then when I started buying vinyl again I decided that I wanted to upgrade. After a lot of comparison shopping and really looking at what I wanted in a TT (e.g. auto-off and auto-return; actually buttons to switch between 33 and 45rpm), I ended up with a Denon and an upgraded Ortophon cartridge. If I wasn't lazy, I would have sprung for a Pro-Ject, but I know how I listen to records and the lack of certain features on that system (despite the high audio quality) was a deal killer.

For me, it's not really about audio quality -- it's more about the whole ritual and experience. The packaging, the artwork, the decision on which record to listen to next... Mr. X and I make it into a communal activity, whereas when I usually listen to music, it's a solitary experience (headphones + mp3 player on the subway).

I love shopping at brick & mortar stores, but most of my records I buy directly from the label, the band, or a distro. I've "met" some really cool people over the years who run labels/distros this way -- strike up an email correspondence, then get to meet them at a record festival or show at some point in the future.

The unit I bought is surprisingly good for very little money. I may upgrade in a year or so, but for now, it's doing the trick. It looks good, and the sound is good, plus it has the auto off and I like the fact that it has the built in CD player, radio, and USB port. I'm using a Roland cube amp with it that has a good sound.

How do CDs sound played throught the amp?

They sound excellent. I am honestly amazed at how great this unit sounds through the amp. The radio sounds good, too. I like to listen to Car Talk on Saturday a.m. :)

Archived