U.S. Politics: John Boehner Discovers Teh Intrawebs

Manhole Eunuchsbane

The left always plays these games, that which is good shall be mandatory. If you question the compulsion, you are accused of being against the behavior itself.

Imagine a dystopian future where the hand washing rule did not exist. Do you think Burger King would abandon its "employees must wash hands" policy? What would their customers do if they did?

So a regulation forcing a business to post a sign that will hurt their business is ok, but a regulation to require their employees to wash hands is not okay?

Why do you only support regulations targeted to deliberately hurt businesses?

So a regulation forcing a business to post a sign that will hurt their business is ok, but a regulation to require their employees to wash hands is not okay?

Why do you only support regulations targeted to deliberately hurt businesses?

What sign?

Did you even read the article you first responded to? That question is rhetorical because you obviously didn't, and this is proven 100% by the question you just asked.

Why do you need to read articles when you have ready to go talking points that can be applied to any subject?

Did you even read the article you first responded to? That question is rhetorical because you obviously didn't, and this is proven 100% by the question you just asked.

he implied I was endorsing the sign, which I never said, so I asked for specifics

So, we allow restaurants to opt out of the requirement that employees wash their hands and the market will make the correction, meaning that those particular restaurants will then go out of business, thus leaving us with restaurants that enforce the washing of the hands.

OK.

So, we allow restaurants to opt out of the requirement that employees wash their hands and the market will make the correction, meaning that those particular restaurants will then go out of business, thus leaving us with restaurants that enforce the washing of the hands.

OK.

I know, I know...this libertarian crap is really getting tiresome. No matter how many times you debunk this line of thinking, in six months it takes a different form and re-emerges, as strong as ever.

Stating your disagreement is not "debunking"

I've been on this board a long time, and have seen post after post claiming that voluntary industry standards are sufficient even though the history of this nation indicates that they are anything but. I feel as though these arguments are those of the man under the umbrella in the rainstorm who says, "I am perfectly dry--why on earth must I carry this blasted umbrella?" Others over the years have pointed out just why that umbrella is necessary, so I don't feel the need to do so. That sounds so dismissive, I know, but it's getting to be like the abortion debate that every so often creeps back to the board.

Perhaps we can pin a thread that summarizes all of the various arguments against these libertarian approaches, so we can just point newer people at them and not take up space in the politics thread.

How anyone can make an argument where more poop in your food is the result is truly beyond me. That's an extra special kind of crazy.

Why do you hate freedom so much?

And oh those silly Koch brothers and their plans for America that in no way, shape or form appears to be helpful to America or even really that sane

Yesterday, a coalition of 50 groups, several funded by the Koch brothers, sent a letter to Congress arguing that the way to fix federal transportation funding is to cut the small portion that goes to walking, biking, and transit [PDF]. The signatories do not want Congress to even think about raising the gas tax, which has been steadily eaten away by inflation since 1993.

The billionaire-friendly coalition is trying to play the populist card. Raising the gas tax to pay for roads, they say, is “regressive” because poor people will pay more than rich people if the gas tax is increased. But eliminating all funding for transit, biking, and walking, which people who can’t afford a car rely on? Not a problem to these guys.

Eliminating federal funding for transit would devastate many American cities, where transit agency budgets would be thrown into turmoil. And while federal funding for biking and walking can make a big difference because the infrastructure is so cost efficient, killing those programs won’t affect the solvency of the Highway Trust Fund. The savings wouldn’t even be enough to cover the cost of rebuilding a single interchange in Wisconsin.

What reality do these dipshits live in? To fix the entire country's crumbling highways and bridges we need to do away with sidewalks, bike lanes and buses? Are they trolling or are they literally that stupid/ignorant/blind?

Why do you hate freedom so much?

And oh those silly Koch brothers and their plans for America that in no way, shape or form appears to be helpful to America or even really that sane

What reality do these dipshits live in? To fix the entire country's crumbling highways and bridges we need to do away with sidewalks, bike lanes and buses? Are they trolling or are they literally that stupid/ignorant/blind?

I think it is the "I don't use these things so why should I pay for it" mentality. Or just selfish assholes who won't recognize that the only reason they have the money they do is because of the infrastructure of this country. Plus the fact that they happened to be born to the right family at the right time.

This libertarian philosophy that puts personal liberty over everything else seems to be just an fancy way to justify being a selfish asshole. There's nothing wrong with being a selfish asshole as long as you understand that most people will see it that way. Libertarians seem to me to be people who never grew up and realized that we have to work together to make this country work. Whenever I read or hear this stuff all I can think is these people got 'does not play well with others' on their kindergarten report card.

Archived