Survivor: Popping Collars

Cuellar

Although Will appears to be the weakest player, he still did choose to make a move and get himself on the majority. He's prime GOAT material, but I think if the weakest player is still doing at least a couple of things right. then that speaks to the strengths of this cast. I agree about the strong women players this season too, it's noticeable and it's nice to see. In seasons past Hali would be one of those girls that gets the Jefra kind of edit, but we've got a lot of good stuff from her as well so far. Sierra had a focal couple of episodes, but was disappointing that she faded back into the background this week, she is one to look out for that could be the first to jump ship.

Agree with the bolded.

I think Mike, Carolyn or Tyler may win this season, that doesn't make me happy at all. I was glad to see Joe win, twice [and then not pick his core alliance to join him on the reward, that was really nice; it doesn't rub the win in people's faces]. I was very sad to see Hali go :crying: .

I will be very disappointed if this goes the way of Pagong, especially if Mike wins, and it seems to be going that way. This is one of the reasons I was dismayed at Tyler, Carolyn and Will going Blue. I guess I just have to wait and see.

Personally I thought Jenn shined as much as ever. She wants to have fun and hates Rodney. I'm good with both of those. Maybe doesn't bode well for her winner chances, though, if that's what you meant. I'll be amazed if Mike loses at this point, especially with Hali gone. And I'm not gonna form opinions on Jenn's post-Hali stuff til we've actually seen the episode.

Even if she does quit, I don't mind that as much as other people do anyway. They're wet and freezing and hot and starving and dehydrated and alone and paranoid and have cameras poking at them and shitting in the woods and exhausted physically and exhausted mentally and barely sleeping and filthy and odorous and whenever they do get to sleep it's on wood that has knots into their back and there's no creature comforts of any sort, no computers or cell phones or iPods or iPads or whatever the kids use these days, no pets or family or friends, just constant physical misery and being surrounded by people whom you have to constantly distrust at all times, and knowing that anything you say or do can be taken totally out of context and picked at by millions of fans with no real perspective on what's going on... honestly, I'm amazed that there aren't more quitters, and I think contestants need props for sticking out as long as they do.

So even if Jenn really does throw in the towel and say "Fuck it, Survivor is miserable, I wanted to have fun, Hali is gone and I'm stuck with Rodney and Dan fucking Foley, I'd rather go get hammered with Hali and sleep in a warm bed", I'd have a hard time blaming her.

Buuuut that's not even particularly relevant, because I doubt that it'll occur in the first place. With that "Next Time On..." segment, I'll be amazed if it's anything more than 1-2 scenes to surprise us when she gets a second wind and wins a challenge or outlasts Rodney or something exciting like that. They want us to think she quits, so she almost certainly won't, like how they hyped up Missy and Kelly's injuries, and Woo falling out of a tree, as possibly GAME-ENDING ZOMGGG and then they weren't even close to that. I trust that Jenn will remain as amazing as ever, and I'm still not abandoning hope that she outlasts Rodney and Dan. <3

Even if she does quit, I don't mind that as much as other people do anyway. They're wet and freezing and hot and starving and dehydrated and alone and paranoid and have cameras poking at them and shitting in the woods and exhausted physically and exhausted mentally and barely sleeping and filthy and odorous and whenever they do get to sleep it's on wood that has knots into their back and there's no creature comforts of any sort, no computers or cell phones or iPods or iPads or whatever the kids use these days, no pets or family or friends, just constant physical misery and being surrounded by people whom you have to constantly distrust at all times, and knowing that anything you say or do can be taken totally out of context and picked at by millions of fans with no real perspective on what's going on... honestly, I'm amazed that there aren't more quitters, and I think contestants need props for sticking out as long as they do.

:agree: I just remembered that you and I were the non-pissed ones when Julie(?) quit last season.

I'm mainly thinking that a winner edit for Jenn is looking less likely, yes. She's still herself and part of that is being a bit brash and I like that about her. I also agree it's unlikely that she quits. The Colton comparison was a knee-jerk reaction. her (seeming) attitude of 'this is no fun anymore' now that her bestie is gone grates on me. There are quits I can understand and quits that just seem like someone is throwing a tantrum. I have a hard time calling out Kathy or Janu for their quits as it was pretty obvious they were miserable. Someone like Colton or Lindsey I have more of a problem with. Their quits seem to be motivated more by 'things aren't going my way, waaah, I want to leave.'

But I digress, since we don't seem to think it's happening anyway.

I don't know what to think about Mike. He's doing a fantastic job with making relationships and blowing up the idol search, etc. I agree we are supposed to be rooting for him, but he's got a long way to go to the end with that target on his back. If he won this thing, I would be thouroughly impressed at his staying power. Quite a bit different than the impression I got when he ate a scorpion on day 1.

Gotta hand it to the Survivor editors yet again. On paper and on the back of last weeks votes this should have theoretically been a straightforward 7-4 vote out of a No Collar....but throughout the course of that hour I had no idea what the tarantula was going to happen! Great stuff, loving this season, can't believe Jeff knows what's up now.

I think Tyler is great, but, I think he missed an opportunity here. After the soda idol clue thing (great scene) I thought we were heading toward the narrative that Tyler is just sitting on all this knowledge of where the idols are and everyone trusts him and he's going to pick the perfect moment to strike with this knowledge of Caroline's idol and that Joe had the merge idol clue. Credit to Mike, he kind of backed Tyler into a corner where it just wasn't worth trying to come up with a shady story, but I do think Tyler could have maybe pressed Mike to keep it just between those two. Which brings me to Mike finding the idol. People think this guy is a dumb redneck, he is anything but. I loved this play of declaring that Joe found the idol. His alliance of 7 then isn't going to look for it, and for Joe everyone thinking he has the idol is almost just as good as having one. Leaving Mike to search for hours unopposed to find it. I give him all the credit in the world for that play.

Jenn aint quitting. She'll be pissed off in the first 5 mins of the episode that her best friend is gone and that's where all those preview quotes will come from. Then she'll switch back into trying to turn the tide I'm sure.

I really didn't want to see Hali go, and just as she was reaching peak island cuteness too :( Ahh well, she'll get to be stunning on the jury. I also just watched her Ponderosa video, this woman is awesome. The first thing she does at Ponderosa? Get some Jack Daniels. That's my kind of girl.

Anyway, I agree that the editing was great this episode. For what should have been a boring No Collar boot episode they really switched it up. I thought for sure it was Shirin or Dan going and I wish it had been Dan. What an obnoxious piece of shit that guy has turned out to be. And he's almost surely going to get dragged to the end of the game, where the jury will try to tear him apart but he'll just sit there with a smug smile on his face because he's a finalist which is better than they did. I can only hope we get a Three Amigos-like moment where some people band together to take out the obvious goat.

Mike, well, I dunno about Mike. He is playing the hell out of the game but he's gonna have a hard slog to the end. If he makes it there, he'll definitely be a deserving winner. But I think he's going to be gone 5th or 6th and Carolyn is going to win this thing sitting next to Will and Dan.

I also don't think Jenn is going to quit. She's probably just really bummed, she saw her alliances last chance at staying relative to the game blown up and she knows she's getting voted out soon so she succumbs to the inevitable depression and pouts and whines. Can't really blame her, but I do not think she quits.

There's gotta be something big coming up. This season has been so hyped that it will feel like a huge disappointment if it's just a basic Pagonging with Jenn/Shirin/Joe out next even if the final seven is chaotic as hell, it's still just one alliance that has voted together since the merge. At this point I'm hoping Joe goes on an immunity challenge run to the end and he's been purposely under-edited to appear a non-winner threat so that we'll continuously be surprised he makes it.

I'm very sad to see Hali go, just stunning eye candy, and her Merica (fuck that tribe name and Mike for coming up with it) analogy was extremely apt.

Fun fact, Hali actually came up with that name but they gave the credit to Mike (because he's either going to win this game or has been predetermined as the "Hero" of the season).

Also interesting of note, Hali believes that Shirin jumped sides and that Will is still 100% with the No Collars. Shows that Will is playing a very good game of saying Yes to everything that comes his way. It's not going to work out for him, though he may end up a goat, but he's doing what he has to do to stick around longer.

Good show, I also was not sure what was going to happen at the vote, and Hali, dammit, she was cute as hell and smart as hell.

Ok, the way I see this playing out (barring Joe going on a ridiculous immunity win streak) is Joe, Jenn, then Shireen.

That leaves the 7, Mike, Dan, Rodney, tall blue lady(never remember her name), Will, Tyler, Carolyn.

I see Tyler and Carolyn pulling Will and Rodney in with them since Rodney can't stand Mike. Then Mike, Dan and tall woman get voted out. That leaves Rodney and Will as goats. Tyler or Carolyn winning depending on who wins last challenge.

Of course, I am wrong every damn season so Mike will end up winning with Dan and Will/Rodney as his goats.

I am not shocked to learn that Hali came up with that name. At all.

There's gotta be something big coming up. This season has been so hyped that it will feel like a huge disappointment if it's just a basic Pagonging with Jenn/Shirin/Joe out next even if the final seven is chaotic as hell, it's still just one alliance that has voted together since the merge. At this point I'm hoping Joe goes on an immunity challenge run to the end and he's been purposely under-edited to appear a non-winner threat so that we'll continuously be surprised he makes it.

I think they may just feed us Mike's "awesomeness" and set Joe up as a likable rival, thus resulting in the audience being conflicted as to whom they should root for. Like they did with Matt(?) in the horror that was Redemption Island, or Spencer and Tony. And people still liked Brains, Brawn, Beauty...I could be very wrong, I hope I am very, so very very wrong.

That said, I've now thought on it and I now think I really loved San Juan del Sur. Anything could happen in every episode of that season, and everything happened. I was at the edge of my seat every time and not in a million years would I have predicted, in episode 8, that Natalie would win.

Sorry to see Hali go.

I'm just curious to see what happens if Joe doesn't win the next immunity challenge, will Mike keep up the fiction that Joe has the secret idol and have his people go after someone else? As long as Mike doesn't come clean, no one, except maybe Joe, will suspect Mike actually has it.

Hali is obviously smart, and she's cute and social, but she just says the most vapid sounding things.

Mike could just go with a plan of splitting the vote to flush the idol. If Joe doesn't have immunity, I doubt he'd have a hard time getting his alliance to go with it, especially since they have the numbers to do it. Targeting Joe at this point of the game is not a hard sell. Hell, even if Joe does have immunity, they'd have to split it to avoid getting caught by Shirin or Jenn playing the (non-existant) idol. I wouldn't put it past Joe to play the idol for Will since apparently they think he is with them rather than Shirin. (so yet another point for Will not being a weak player. He's got the no-collars fooled as to his true intentions)

What I found really interesting was that the blue collars were leaning toward voting out Shirin - right until Tyler came out with this, "I think Shirin has the idol" lie. Tyler knows Carolyn has the idol that was at the white collar camp. Why the lie? Either (a) he recognized that breaking up the Jenn-Joe-Hali three was better, or (b) he is working with Shirin in a way we haven't seen.

I think it was more that the Blue Collars were wondering what happened to the WC idol and Tyler was just trying to cover his and Carolyns' butts by making them think Shirin has it. If he says nothing, the suspicion is there that he or Carolyn has it, and if they're not saying nothing that means they plan on using it to their advantage (which would undoubtedly by to the disadvantage of the Blues). That means they're targets sooner rather than later, so basically he was just trying to throw the scent off.

Tyler is a really smart player, but I feel like he's far too passive. He waits back and lets people/ideas come to him which has gotten him this far, but I don't think it will get him to the end. I can see him getting blindsided the episode before he claims he was about to make his big move.

I hated the ending of this episode. I just don't get why Sierra continues to keep voting with Mike,Dan,and Rodney. Hopefully Jenn doesn't quit but I wouldn't blame her if she did.

If Sierra flipped last episode she'd go to the bottom of a 5 person alliance as opposed to currently where she's somewhere in the middle of a 7. Just better odds. After a couple more votes will be the time to make a move for anyone in that 7.

Yeah, as much as we the audience want Sierra or Tyler/Carolyn to flip and side with the much more likable Joe/Hali/Jenn trio, it just doesn't make sense for them. Those three are too tight, if they get control of the game they'll likely be the final three. With the Blue Collar alliance, however, there is no set solid three so that there is plenty of wiggle room to get to the finals if you go with them.

Archived