Wow, I never noticed that... v.10

Lost Melnibonean

All the ones which looked like Aerys.

:)

Lifes blood

The boy addressed the king as if Ser Barristan were not there, as if there were no dead man sprawled upon the carpet, his life's blood slowly staining the silk red. Skahaz was supposed to take Reznak into custody until we could be certain of his loyalty. Had something gone awry? "Come where?" Ser Barristan asked the boy. "Where does the seneschal want His Grace to go?"

The Kingbreaker, Dance

The point of Ser Gregor's lance had snapped off in his neck, and his life's blood flowed out in slow pulses, each weaker than the one before. His armor was shiny new; a bright streak of fire ran down his outstretched arm, as the steel caught the light. Then the sun went behind a cloud, and it was gone. His cloak was blue, the color of the sky on a clear summer's day, trimmed with a border of crescent moons, but as his blood seeped into it, the cloth darkened and the moons turned red, one by one.

Sansa II, Game

Any others?

By a sword forged from dragon fire she just means Valyrian steel. Daenerys would probably have to travel to Qohor with her dragons if she wanted to actually forge him a new one. He could get Longclaw back, especially if Jon gets Dark Sister like some people (but not me) think he will.

I'm sure that's what she meant, and it may in fact refer to Longclaw or some other Valyrian sword. It's just that many lines in GoT turn out to be prophecies, and I wonder if this will (either way: old sword or new-forged).

I never noticed that at the end of aDwD when Dany finds the Khalazar she actually had her opportunity for victory. If Drogin makes roasted ribs out of Khal Lame-o Dany can win the Khalazar for herself and go and retake Mereen! :D

*dreams on*

Sansa Fairy Tale parallel: Instead of Prince Charming, she married one of the dwarfs. Thanks to Light a wight tonight for helping me realize this.

ETA: Tyrion is also associated with mines, the Lannister Gold Mines. And Sansa is associated with apples. (Ref: The Sansa Apple and Idunn/Sansa parallels)

and the Hound is a bit like the huntsman

and the Hound is a bit like the huntsman

I had to look up the Huntsman, because I couldn't recall him in the story. Here's what I found:

After raising his knife, he finds himself unable to kill her as she sobs heavily and begs him "Oh, dear huntsman, don't kill me! Leave me with my life. I will run into the forest and never come back!" The huntsman leaves her behind alive convinced that the girl would be eaten by some wild animal. He instead brings the Queen the lungs and liver of a young wild boar, which is prepared by the cook and eaten by the Queen.

I can see the parallel. There's also a parallel of the Queen, Cersei's "fairest of them all" being her "young and more beautiful [queen]." Maybe more evidence that Sansa is the "younger and more beautiful" one to replace her?

The first time he had seen the Wall he had been younger than Devan, serving aboard the Cobblecat under Roro Uhoris, a Tyroshi known up and down the narrow sea as the Blind Bastard, though he was neither blind nor baseborn. Roro had sailed past Skagos into the Shivering Sea, visiting a hundred little coves that had never seen a trading ship before. He brought steel; swords, axes, helms, good chainmail hauberks, to trade for furs, ivory, amber, and obsidian. When the Cobblecat turned back south her holds were stuffed, but in the Bay of Seals three black galleys came out to herd her into Eastwatch. They lost their cargo and the Bastard lost his head, for the crime of trading weapons to the wildlings.

Davos had traded at Eastwatch in his smuggling days. The black brothers made hard enemies but good customers, for a ship with the right cargo. But while he might have taken their coin, he had never forgotten how the Blind Bastard's head had rolled across the Cobblecat's deck. "I met some wildlings when I was a boy," he told Maester Pylos. "They were fair thieves but bad hagglers. One made off with our cabin girl. All in all, they seemed men like any other men, some fair, some foul."

Davos V, p. 736 SoS, US paperback.

Must have forgotten that.... and Jon is known as the Black Bastard...is there an intentional connection between Arya's and Davos's chapter in the subtext?

"Good." She had never cared if she was pretty, even when she was stupid Arya Stark. Only her father had ever called her that. Him, and Jon Snow, sometimes. Her mother used to say she could be pretty if she would just wash and brush her hair and take more care with her dress, the way her sister did. To her sister and sister's friends and all the rest, she had just been Arya Horseface. But they were all dead now, even Arya, everyone but her half-brother, Jon. Some nights she heard talk of him, in the taverns and brothels of the Ragman's Harbor. The Black Bastard of the Wall, one man had called him. Even Jon would never know Blind Beth, I bet. That made her sad.

p. 600 Arya I, the Blind Girl, DwD US Hardcover.

The Blind (girl and the black) Bastard. lol.

Never noticed that Ayra was dead, too.

Some of these things Davos traded with the wildlings are now probably at castle black.... can we expect other trading galleys to land north?

Never noticed how short crannogmen are supposed to be. It's odd because the CotF are also really short... Could there be a connection there?

Yes. Luwin tells us the two races grew close around the time the Children brought the Hammer of the Waters down on the Neck. If you look at the drawings of the two races in The World of Ice and Fire the resemblance is apparent. Though this could be artistic license.

Just a bit more foreshadowing in aCoK I missed at first:

The steel was polished to such a high sheen that she could see her reflection in the breastplate, gazing back at her as if from the bottom of a deep green pond. The face of a drowned woman, Catelyn thought. Can you drown in grief?

Catelyn

Red Wedding :cry:

Did you also notice that Areo Hotah knew he would face Arys one day?

"One day, he sensed, the two of them would fight; on that day Oakheart would die, with the captain’s longaxe crashing through his skull."

He was also a couple of inches away from killing him the way he thought he would.

Better feel sorry for her. If you re-read books 2-5 now, you may find it is gnawing on her...

There may be much more to it when you realise that everybody who touches Dawn cuts themselves: Obsidian shards in the outer shell of it have been suggested.

Eddard cut himself when he touched Dawn? How about Arthur Dayne? I've completely missed this. Where is it in the text?

I never noticed that at the end of aDwD when Dany finds the Khalazar she actually had her opportunity for victory. If Drogin makes roasted ribs out of Khal Lame-o Dany can win the Khalazar for herself and go and retake Mereen! :D

*dreams on*

According to many, she is going to unite the entire Dothraki Nation. She's heading for the Dosh Khaleen, she is "The Stallion Who Mounts the World." I think that's her dragon Drogon and her.

Davos V, p. 736 SoS, US paperback.

Must have forgotten that.... and Jon is known as the Black Bastard...is there an intentional connection between Arya's and Davos's chapter in the subtext?

p. 600 Arya I, the Blind Girl, DwD US Hardcover.

The Blind (girl and the black) Bastard. lol.

Never noticed that Ayra was dead, too.

Some of these things Davos traded with the wildlings are now probably at castle black.... can we expect other trading galleys to land north?

Arya isn't dead. She keeps saying she's no one, but she never gave up Needle & she still loves Jon and Winterfell and she still has Wolf dreams. She's very much alive.

Another cute detail on aCoK.

When Catelyn goes to the sept to pray, right before the battle-to-be between Stannis and Renly, she says she sees faces in the faces of the gods. When she looks at the Warrior she sees Robb, Ned, Robert, Jaime and... Arya :D

Rock on! :cheers:

Arya isn't dead. She keeps saying she's no one, but she never gave up Needle & she still loves Jon and Winterfell and she still has Wolf dreams. She's very much alive.

lol. I know she's alive. I'd just never noticed she said in her thoughts, but they were all dead now, even Arya.

Archived