Wow, I never noticed that... v.10

Lost Melnibonean

I never noticed how much I think I notice something until I'm writing a post, telling you all about my discovery, and then discover that I was mistaken by a slight memory error or 'wrong Brandon' type error.

Oh well...one day I'll have a discovery of subtle clues and connect the dots that will even make GRRM do the single head nod of approval.

But until then...stay classy Hot Pie.

The Great Pyramid of Meereen, is nearly twice as tall as the tallest pyramid in the real world.

Daenerys got pretty freaky just before Drogon showed up at Daznaks Pit. As soon as the boar gutted Barsena, Daenerys became overwhelmed by the smell, the heat, the flies, and the crowd, and she took off her clothes! Nobody seemed all that concerned that she was getting naked, which was odd since Drogon hadnt actually shown up yet and Belwas was only at that moment getting queasy. She asked to leave, but Hizdahr wanted her to stay. Did she call Drogon, or did Drogon call her?

Oh great observation!! love!

Egg isn't just a nickname for Aegon, but a reference to the fact that Targs are dragons, which of course hatch from eggs.

The realisation that Howland Reed has a Moving Castle blew my mind.

"Lightbringer" is the English translation of "Lucifer".

Egg isn't just a nickname for Aegon, but a reference to the fact that Targs are dragons, which of course hatch from eggs.

The realisation that Howland Reed has a Moving Castle blew my mind.

"Lightbringer" is the English translation of "Lucifer".

Lucifer is how sometimes the devil is called here in Mexico so the others are indeed good and misunderstood. :uhoh: :shocked:

Just realized that every Aegon following the Conqueror each did something disasterous, leading to their ultimate fall.

Aegon II-Created the most bloody civil war for the Targaryens. Caused the loss of most of the dragons for the Targaryen family. Wiped out several in the family line.

Aegon III-Witnessed, or possibly caused, the death of the last dragon. This would mark the beginning of the realizations that the Targaryens were now no longer able to rule over the peoples of Westeros any different than any other kings, with no WMDs.

Aegon IV- Caused a civil war simply by the bastards he spawned. Would lead to 4 more civil wars following this, simply due to giving the ancestral sword to his favorite bastard.

Aegon V-Supposedly attempted to hatch a dragon, provoking the Tragedy at Summerhall. Caused the line of Jaehaerys II to take over, leading to the ultimate rule of Aerys II and the fall of the targaryen kings.

And now we look to you, Aegon VI/Aegon Blackfyre. How will you devastate Westeros?

The Laughing Storm says: "I was not about to miss a chance to fight the Kingsguard knights, and tweak Prince Maekar’s

nose in the bargain.” so there was some tension or rivalry between Lyonel and Maekar - just like Robert and Stannis.

Manfred Dondarrion was Breakspear's inlaw, probably part of the reason why he was acting all mighty with Dunk (and why he was seated in the highest tier).

Both Egg (in the Sworn Sword) and Edric Dayne (at the Mummer's Ford) exceled at fishing their knights out of the water.

And on my first read I completely missed the Ironborn maester who invented CPR.

Tywin, ironically, Tylost.

Tywin is to win, and he usually did. Very fitting name. Realize that in games where everybody loses and only a few or even only one can win, everyone is a loser as to that definition. All men die, all mortals lose their lives in the end.

Love is lost with Tywin. Love is to teach us to be great at losing, because lose we must, so we'd better be good at it. Love ironically means to let go of what we love, to be happy with loved ones going their own ways. Something Tywin was not very good at. Though we see him at least try when he talks to his sons.

As soon as someone pointed out to me all the similarities of the various Targs with medieval English Kings, it felt the most obvious thing ever.

In an interview a while back, you mentioned the War of the Roses as a historical starting point from which you soon went off in very different directions.

If I was going to do something with a medieval flavor, I wanted to know as much about the medieval period as I could to try to capture that with a little verisimilitude, so I read a lot of history. I’d read history anyway, because I love it. I’d read about the Wars of the Roses, the Hundred Years War, the Crusades– they were all grist for the mill, probably the Wars of the Roses and the Hundred Years War more than anything else. Some fans have taken that too far and have looked for exact parallels to the Wars of the Roses, to say this character is actually Edward IV and this character is Richard III but none of that really holds up. My characters, while they may be inspired in one facet or another, are not actual historical characters under other names. I prefer to do something other than that.

http://beatrice.com/wordpress/interview-george-r-r-martin

that said, Aerys seems inspired by Charles VI of France.... ;)

Just realized that every Aegon following the Conqueror each did something disasterous, leading to their ultimate fall.

Aegon II-Created the most bloody civil war for the Targaryens. Caused the loss of most of the dragons for the Targaryen family. Wiped out several in the family line.

Aegon III-Witnessed, or possibly caused, the death of the last dragon. This would mark the beginning of the realizations that the Targaryens were now no longer able to rule over the peoples of Westeros any different than any other kings, with no WMDs.

Aegon IV- Caused a civil war simply by the bastards he spawned. Would lead to 4 more civil wars following this, simply due to giving the ancestral sword to his favorite bastard.

Aegon V-Supposedly attempted to hatch a dragon, provoking the Tragedy at Summerhall. Caused the line of Jaehaerys II to take over, leading to the ultimate rule of Aerys II and the fall of the targaryen kings.

And now we look to you, Aegon VI/Aegon Blackfyre. How will you devastate Westeros?

True, and every other Aegon was a king that caused, directly or indirectly, a civil war; Aegon II "Dance of Dragons," Aegon IV "Blackfyre Rebellion," Aegon VI "Dance 2.0?"

The Laughing Storm says: "I was not about to miss a chance to fight the Kingsguard knights, and tweak Prince Maekar’s

nose in the bargain.” so there was some tension or rivalry between Lyonel and Maekar - just like Robert and Stannis.

Lyonel did not want to miss a chance to fight the KG. He later got that chance again, when he fought a duel against Duncan, the LC of the KG, after 239 AC :)

Jon decided to march on Winterfell to save his sister...

Jon flexed the fingers of his sword hand. The Night' s Watch takes no part. He closed his fist and opened it again. What you propose is nothing less than treason. He thought of Robb, with snowflakes melting in his hair. Kill the boy and let the man be born. He thought of Bran, clambering up a tower wall, agile as a monkey. Of Rickon's breathless laughter. Of Sansa, brushing out Lady's coat and singing to herself. You know nothing, Jon Snow. He thought of Arya, her hair as tangled as a bird's nest. I made him a warm cloak from the skins of the six whores who came with him to Winterfell I want my bride back I want my bride back I want my bride back

Jon XIII, Dance

But he asked the Free Folk to avenge Stannis and protect Stannis's family...

"The Night's Watch takes no part in the wars of the Seven Kingdoms," Jon reminded them when some semblance of quiet had returned. "It is not for us to oppose the Bastard of Bolton, to avenge Stannis Baratheon, to defend his widow and his daughter. This creature who makes cloaks from the skins of women has sworn to cut my heart out, and I mean to make him answer for those words but I will not ask my brothers to forswear their vows.

"The Night's Watch will make for Hardhome. I ride to Winterfell alone, unless " Jon paused. " is there any man here who will come stand with me?"

Jon XIII, Dance

He knew he was committing treason. Was he killing the boy, or letting the boy have his way? Was his dragon waking?

Jon decided to march on Winterfell to save his sister...

Jon XIII, Dance

Jon XIII, Dance

He knew he was committing treason. Was he killing the boy, or letting the boy have his way? Was his dragon waking?

Good questions! I think ever since Aemon advised him he's been trying to kill the boy, which is at odds with a certain dragony thirst for personal vengeance. But I think his efforts were unsuccessful until the Ides of Marsh pushed him over the edge. We shall see.

Lyonel did not want to miss a chance to fight the KG. He later got that chance again, when he fought a duel against Duncan, the LC of the KG, after 239 AC :)

oh, this one is a great catch!

i've interpreted this part a bit differently - he wasn't urging the wildlings to avenge Stannis (although he would certainly protect his family) but deemed the 'creature who makes cloaks from the skins of women' too dangerous to live and asked them to join him to destroy Ramsey because of this reasoning.

Archived