Your favorite books so far (out of the 5 released already)...Top 5

Love Is A Sweet Poison

In terms of which I read fastest

ACOK

AGOT

AFFC

ASOS (this is the book where I stalled out for a while and had to read non-Westeros things for a few weeks)

ADWD (I cannot and have not ever read this book properly; I always have to take breaks and switch to other books when I have reading time, even the first time I read it. I've finished it but I had to do it piecemeal.)

I'm re-reading Storm, and it's damn impressive on subsequent reading. So many details I didn't pick up on the first time, the quieter chapters are far more impressive the second time around (like Bran's chapters and Arya's stay with the Brotherhood), and most of the dramatic chapters hit as hard as the first time.

Game is the one I found least impressive on a re-read. Too simple compared to the latter books, and many characters still haven't fully broken out of the stereotypes he presented them as at first.

Fair enough, I simply felt the best parts relied a bit too much on shock value, still my 2nd/3rd favourite of the series.

These threads seem to prove that regardless of what Martin writes ~20-30% of the readers will be horribly disappointed with TWOW, not necessarily saying people will hate it, just that inevitably many will have it at the bottom.

I wonder whether Winds will be like Feast (improving in subsequent readings) or Storm (not as impressive in subsequent readings).

After re-reading Storm of Swords, I liked it even more.

funny dance with dragons is usually the top or bottom of a list. some people really didn't like the Dany plot. I think its because they assumed she was going to go to westeros and she didn't. but if you take it for what it is its actually really great story telling.

I feel like this isn't a fair fight for AFFC, bc it's ending, at least in my opinion, was included in the ending in ADWD.

like if you see the end of ADWD it has a cersei chapter and a Jaime chapter and a sam chapter. so all that great stuff is technically part of ADWD when really 95% of those story arcs are in AFFC.

Archived