Compare and contrast Randyll and Tywin

TimJames

Here's a better exercise:

compare/contrast Tywin and Walder Frey.

SPOILER: They're the same dude. One just has a bigger budget and better PR.

Tarly's a shithead but at least he's man enough to do his own dirty work. He cut that rebel commander's head off and mailed it to Aerys himself. Even after toppling the government and putting King's Landing on lockdown Tywin still needed his goon squad to kill a couple toddlers (one of whom was a girl) for him.

It is kinda interesting that even Tywin won't cull the herd to Protect The Brand yet Randyl apparently would have.

A while ago, I made a thread asking why Tywin didn't kill Tyrion. The general consensus was that he was afraid of the curse of the kin slayer + it would actually hurt the Lannister brand if anybody suspected Tywin had killed his son.

Tarly and Tywin are both tough men.

Tarly is a soldier, Tywin is a politician and a commander.

Both men hated one son and favoured another, in Tarly's case it was his younger son he favored, the reverse is true for Tywin.

Tywin had a grudging respect for Tyrion and his abilities and put even though he hated Tyrion.

Randyll hated Sam, and was too thickheaded to realise that Sam's intelligence and that his desire to be a maester would have eliminated him from the Tarly inheritance line.

You can leave the Citadel, you can't leave the Nights Watch. Too risky for Tarly to send Sam there.

True, still Sam showed a desire to be a maester, being the bookish kid he is, he probably wouldn't have left. Tarly's reasoning was that no Tarly would serve a lesser house.The Tarlys are not even Lord Paramounts.

True, still Sam showed a desire to be a maester, being the bookish kid he is, he probably wouldn't have left. Tarly's reasoning was that no Tarly would serve a lesser house.The Tarlys are not even Lord Paramounts.

It's unclear when that situation occurs but I assume it's before Tarly comes up with his awesome "let's get rid of Sam" plan. I would imagine that when he was formulating that plan the Citadel and Sams desire to be a maester would have run through his head.

Both have a child they hate. Randyll got rid of his, Tywin didn`t and suffered because of it

This is the biggest. And the ironic part is, Sawmill and Tyrion may play bigger roles moving forward than either of their fathers. I always thought of Tarly as an elite commander. A soldier. Tywin as more of a strategist, and a planner. Put the two of them together and they're practically unbeatable.

Sam is going to fly through his education at the Citadel. And I think Tyrion is certainly one of the brightest people we have seen in westeros or essos. He is both clever and wise.

its funny how neither fathers see intelligence as being anything to be proud of. Tarly completely dismisses it, and Tywin uses Tyrion when he needs him but doesn't respect him at all.

A while ago, I made a thread asking why Tywin didn't kill Tyrion. The general consensus was that he was afraid of the curse of the kin slayer + it would actually hurt the Lannister brand if anybody suspected Tywin had killed his son.

Of course, putting Tywin under Gregor Clegane's command towards the end of A Game Of Thrones sure does feel like an attempt to get Tyrion killed in a sufficiently honorable way (warrior's death, etc.)

Unfortunately for Tywin, The Roose was only interested in killing his own men... :)

This is the biggest. And the ironic part is, Sawmill and Tyrion may play bigger roles moving forward than either of their fathers. I always thought of Tarly as an elite commander. A soldier. Tywin as more of a strategist, and a planner. Put the two of them together and they're practically unbeatable.

Sawmill? :P

In fairness Tyrion probably wouldn't have gone meekly into the night(swatch) as Sam did. That said Tarly moulded his son into somebody who could be cowed through years of bullying bordering on outright torture. Tyrion seemed to be largely ignored.

I still think Tarly is worse. I hate Tywin (do not understand the sympathy for the guy at all) but I believe him when he said he was going to arrange for Tyrion to take the black rather than die. He felt enough (love/responsibility/whatever) to save his life which is more than can be said for Tarly.

Tyrion was a disappointment to Tywin, but unlike Tarly, Tywin did made an attempt at making lemonade with the lemons that life gave him. Tyrion was given token responsibilities and I also believe that Tywin was ready to let Tyrion take the black just because he was a Lannister and he was his and Johanna's son. Tarly was more than eager to kill his son.

Tywin is as much a dick as Tarly. Leave alone the matter with Tarbecks and Reynes, what he did to Tysha was plainly evil and disgusting. Both of them are chauvinistic pigs, although Tarly is more open about it.

I'd say that the mayor difference between them is that Tywin can see the talent even in those who appear useless while Tarly is just dim-witted... That and the fact that Tarly has a VS sword.

Archived