Season 5 Trailer Released

Westeros

I think it was a mistake allowing Bryan cogman unedited and unsupervised writing privledges over entire episodes , although he is a good writer and has done some good work with the show they basically allowed him to undulge himself too much at times at the expense of things that should of been in the show ie the Tysha reveal. I know this because D&D have gone on record as saying they removed that plot because they basically hadn't got the screen time to remind viewers of that story but we can all clearly recall that long and awful story Tyrion told about his cousin Orson and the beetles. It leads to other plot changes that break with the believability of the characters actions the first thing that comes to mind is Tyrions willingness to join Daenerys even though his relationship with her fathers killer his brother Jaime is still very much intact I can't imagine why that would never be an issue for either of them because no doubt if Daenerys were to conquer westeros she would have Jaime executed.

Stuff like that is anybody EXCEPT Cogman's fault.

On to something else first - I take the book and show as different entities, like others do. One suggestion I'd like to make, and it cuts through everything surrounding D&D's direction for the show. Why not watch the show as a maester's eye-view of events in GRRM's books?

it makes sense of all the changes of plots, additional and missing characters. Also, this matches with the recent book's style of presentation, which was written by a maester, using material written by other maesters for older history. Plus, there are the interjections from another maester here and there. Think about it.....

LOL thanks for the advice, but I'm gonna have to disagree with this. If you want to do mental gymnastics to be satisfied watching the show, then go ahead. But I'm definitely not doing the same. I watch this show the way I watch all other "serious" dramas, and hold it to the same standard.

Do we really need Illyrio, another actor, another totally new character? No we don't, as he does the very same things Varys - a beloved and at the moment "unemployed" charater. S

Illyrio has already been in the show, played by Roger Allam. So he has not been merged with Varys (the infamous Varys/Illyrio conversation from AGOT, overheard by Arya, was in the show). If he is absent, they may explain it by him being on some mission. During filming, apparently the location of some Varys/Tyrion scenes was referred to as "Illyrio's manse".

The main reason we won't be seeing TWOW until at least late 2016, most likely 2017 when the show has finished.

Seems a bit pessimistic given that GRRM really seems to be putting his foot down and 2015 was previously a possibility, making me think that early 2016 is most likely, especially as if he gets it out by April 2016 then season 6 will not be spoiled. (I'm not intending to watch season 6 until book 6 comes out.)

Wish they'd picked a better song, but super excited for the Dorne stuff. I'm really intrigued by that shot of Margaery hugging someone while looking terrified. Tommen maybe? Didn't seem like Loras' color palette. For the first time in a long time I care about the Dany storyline again. Also, Juan Peron is the High Septon. This will be gooood!

Wish they'd picked a better song, but super excited for the Dorne stuff. I'm really intrigued by that shot of Margaery hugging someone while looking terrified. Tommen maybe? Didn't seem like Loras' color palette. For the first time in a long time I care about the Dany storyline again. Also, Juan Peron is the High Septon. This will be gooood!

I don't know if she looked terrified... if you pause it, she looks more sly maybe, liked she'd just played Tommen somehow (possibly against his own mother)

Totally agree about the song though, even a good instrumental would have worked better. But I did like the trailer.

The main reason we won't be seeing TWOW until at least late 2016, most likely 2017 when the show has finished.

Since they know the ending and are cutting out the new contenders for the Throne they are really making it out to be that Dany will be victorious at the end.

And Winds isn’t even the last book: in theory, Dream will be the seventh and last book, and everybody knows that that one won’t be out till Sealab 2020 has long since come and gone and been forgotten. A lot of fans won’t even live to see it.

And Winds isn’t even the last book: in theory, Dream will be the seventh and last book, and everybody knows that that one won’t be out till Sealab 2020 has long since come and gone and been forgotten. A lot of fans won’t even live to see it.

My sweet summer child. ;) I very much doubt Dream will be the last book. So, under ideal circumstances, we can expect ASOIAF to be finally finished around 2025.

My sweet summer child. ;) I very much doubt Dream will be the last book. So, under ideal circumstances, we can expect ASOIAF to be finally finished around 2025.

If it isn't the last, Winds and Drea, will suck. There is simply too much. Unless those are each split into two large halves.

Since they know the ending and are cutting out the new contenders for the Throne they are really making it out to be that Dany will be victorious at the end.

Do you say this because of the Varys Quote? Or simply because Aegon + The Ironborn are left out? Because IMO that doesn't mean anything. And even though Dany might sit on the IT at the end, that might not even be important. I think the Others will have a bigger role in the end of asoiaf.

I look at the the show as a separate yet ultimately equal counterpart. What I mean is I do believe they are going to do the same ending. They know the ending, Cogman knows the ending, they visited George to be walked through character by character the ending two different times over two different years. I am not of the opinion the ultimate ending will change. If someone is supposed to die they will, what is supposed to happen will get there.

What will change is the path towards the end. How things are positioned, and I think we may already be seeing some of that based on this trailer alone. But personally, I think you're in for a disappointment if you think their ending will be some completely and utterly different thing than George is planning.

I can actually see a 'different' ending. Maybe not different people who will live & succeed, but their way to it will be a lot different, and therefor you also have a different ending.

Do you say this because of the Varys Quote? Or simply because Aegon + The Ironborn are left out? Because IMO that doesn't mean anything. And even though Dany might sit on the IT at the end, that might not even be important. I think the Others will have a bigger role in the end of asoiaf.

Just the general way the show portrays her compared to the books.

The more the show deviates from the books the more interesting things get. As many have written already, the show creators will likely if not certainly arrive at the same end, only by different means. At least I think Martin is in touch with the writers to guide the flowing.

This means, however, that the show might spoil quite a deal of the upcoming books, since I'd imagine they'll cut corners where it won't affect the end result. If, on the other hand, they'll boldly forge their own ending, it wouldn't really matter for me, and then it wouldn't give away much about the books to come.

The trailer doesn't really do anything for me, but wasn't really expecting it to.

And a big hug to everyone, or a cautious nod if that's more to your liking - I'm a long-time reader of these parts, decided to hop in just in time for S5. I've read the books and I'm rewatching the show now. I think I seriously should do a reread, too. Perhaps just before The Winds of Winter.

So wait...no Boltons, no Reek, no winterfell and North????

Come on....could give a toss about mel and grey worm, or some sand snakes. Jaime should be going to Riverrun!!!

There is, we see an image of Reek deep in thought at 1:10, he seems to have a beard and longer hair and so and more immersed in the Reek look which I like, can understand why they couldn't have too drastic a change from S3 E10 to S4E1 but at least they are visually distinguising from series 1 and 2 Theon

We also see a Battle tabletop, whereas in the past it was Wolf Heads for Robbs army and a single Bolton flayed man chess piece and Lion Heads for Lannisters the visible Chess pieces are all Flayed man ones, indicating Bolton Wardenship of the North

Also this officially released picture

]http://watchersonthewall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Michael-McElhatton-as-Roose-Bolton-Iwan-Rheon-as-Ramsay-Bolton-and-Elizabeth-Webster-as-Walda-Frey-_-photo-Helen-Sloan_HBO-1024x682.jpg

Also this of Jon and Stannis

http://watchersonthewall.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Kit-Harington-as-Jon-Snow-Stephen-Dillane-as-Stannis-Baratheon-and-Liam-Cunningham-as-Davos-Seaworth-_-photo-Helen-Sloan_HBO-1024x681.jpg

Sorry, am fairly new to these forums so don't know how to portray images or do that spoiler hide text thing for that matter

Am hoping to see some Stannis vs Boltons action this season, don't reckon it will be much though, most of the focus will be Dorne, KL, Wall and Dany/Tyrion

That whole "break the wheel" thing seems to hint at more try-hard regality from Dany, not sure if this is mis-acting or if it is supposed to be in character where she's meant to be a girly trying to be a "queen". It's annoying especially given 1st season Dany acting was good, can come good if she decides "screw it" and goes all fire and blood on everyones ass with Drogon and acts like a proper cbf Tyrant without the try-hard regality but I guess we'll see

Like the vibe of the Brazen beasts though, the book makes their masks seem often rather gimmicky and comical even but I like the sombre gold look

Personally I am beginning to wonder if Dany's arc doesen't actually relate to Westeros but more to do with the resurrection of Valyria, with fAegon covering the Targ/Blackfyre notion of foreign invasion. Guess we'll see. maybe they'll blend them.

Wonder if they'll do Kingsmoot etc next season, might be too complicated to throw in Dorne and Ironborn in one season

And practically speaking they probably need to clear up the casting budget, ie kill a few characters this season

From what I remember, D&D told the guy at EW they had room to do either Dorne OR the Iron Islands in S5, and they chose to do Dorne, as it follows on logically from Oberyn Martell's death in S4. There's no reason why they wouldn't give us a pared-down version of the Ironborn plot next season-- probably just featuring Euron.

Wonder if they'll do Kingsmoot etc next season, might be too complicated to throw in Dorne and Ironborn in one season

And practically speaking they probably need to clear up the casting budget, ie kill a few characters this season

I'm hoping they will introduce Euron and/or Victarion in the end of season 5 as some sort of cliffhanger for season 6. Maybe Balon will die in the later episodes and his brother will appear to build up anticipation for the Kingsmoot for the next season or something like that. There are a few actors for season five that play characters that are yet to be announced, so there is still hope.

Some thoughts

Jamie may be in Dorne, to return Oberyn to Dorne (given he is a Prince of the Royal Family and a great fighter after all) and probably/maybe to bring the head of the Mountain to Doran Martell as requested. Jaime, as head of the Kingsguard, will probably think its his job to do this and probably to see his daughter. Thus Jaime is off to Dorne.

I'm also guessing that Cersei's little chat with Daddy (about exposing her and Jaime's relationship) will either get her in trouble with the High Septon (Walk of Shame) or she totally goes back on this reveal so she can retain her Queen Regent title and Jaime of course is pissed and maybe decides to fetch Myrcella out of Dorne and take her to Casterly Rock. Of course, Doran ain't going to be none too happy about this. Crackpot, but at least gives Jaime's storyline some excitement.

Can totally see Bronn with other woman. Jaime's not having sex with anyone, wierdly, its out of character.

Brienne getting captured by Vale forces makes sense. Sansa knows she's friends with Jaime (she was in KL when Brienne was there and I think saw them talking). A Sansa/LSH/Revenge mash up would work I think.

LF and Sansa's revenge talk, could be in relation to Jon being stabbed? Sansa lost her whole family even Jon (who's NW status should make he immune to the GOT) - may be the catalyst needed for revenge and her talk with LF. I could see this talk at the end of the season.

Aemon burning makes sense - writers might even throw us a bone (Targs vs fire) and any deathbed confessions/secrets? R&L Something cryptic said to Jon? Mel? You never know.

Archived