U.S. Politics - Jeb announced yet?

TerraPrime

It ties to the Republican monopolization of "manliness" -- even to the point of fabricating their own valor credentials and denigrating those of others. Back when he worked for Salon, Glenn Greenwald wrote an excellent piece on it: The Right Wing Cult of Contrived Masculinity. I've been linking it for years here, it's so good.

So through this device, you get Ronald Reagan, who made movies for the Army in World War 2 and never left the country, and blatantly lied to the Prime Minister of Israel about helping to liberate Auschwitz, remembered as some kind of cowboy hero because he played the part convincingly and he owned a "ranch." The ranch thing worked as well for George Bush the Lesser, probably-AWOL air reservist, who had a ton of photo ops "clearing brush" to burnish the manly man credentials he earned himself by landing on a carrier deck wearing a flightsuit and a codpiece. Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney both deferred out of service but no one questions their valor or their eagerness to send other people into wars, because they are on the Party of Manly Man Warriors.

Meanwhile, John Kerry served honorably and earned medals on a swift boat in Vietnam, Jimmy Carter served on nuclear submarines (how many people even knew that?) -- and yet the Republican propaganda machine uses the pre-written narrative, a narrative that the mainstream media all too often buys into without question, to paint them as cowards and weaklings.

I think this worked because it fit in with very common beliefs about "toughness" in American culture. I think most voters consciously or unconsciously believe that there is a strong correlation between being "tough" on military matters and being "tough" on things like welfare or crime. So there is the assumption that the party which is in favor of universal health care and reducing the prison population just can't be really good on fighting wars or protecting one's family from terrorism. I think Republican propaganda was able to skillfully activate this belief in the minds of many suburban voters in Ohio so that they felt fear of terrorism should be their top priority in deciding who to vote for.

I think the nadir (one of several?) of the co-opting and desecration of military services from the GOP came from the 2002 campaign in Georgia between Max Cleland, the sitting Democratic Senator, and MAx Chambliss, the Republican challenger. In the last days of the campaign, Chambliss ran ads that paried Cleland's images next to Osama bin Laden and accused him of pandering to terrorists. Meanwhile, Cleland lost two legs and half of one arm during his service in Vietnam. So the GOP camapign machine turned someone who literally gave his limbs in service to his country into a terrorist sympathizer. I was not that fond of Cleland since he's a bit of a yellow dog Democrat, but the attack ads against him was vicious. It drew criticism from both McCain and Hagel, actually, and the ad was withdrawn after it has done it's damage.

I think this worked because it fit in with very common beliefs about "toughness" in American culture. I think most voters consciously or unconsciously believe that there is a strong correlation between being "tough" on military matters and being "tough" on things like welfare or crime. So there is the assumption that the party which is in favor of universal health care and reducing the prison population just can't be really good on fighting wars or protecting one's family from terrorism. I think Republican propaganda was able to skillfully activate this belief in the minds of many suburban voters in Ohio so that they felt fear of terrorism should be their top priority in deciding who to vote for.

Not disagreeing with any of this, but it is kind of amazing to consider that this "toughness gap" exists when it was a Republican administration who ignored pre-9/11 intelligence, failed to contain Bin Laden at Tora Bora, and bungled the occupation of Iraq, and it was a Democratic administration who actually authorized the operation that killed Bin Laden.

There's just something wrong with the idea that being willing to send other people's children into combat on the shoddiest and flimsiest of cases in any way betokens courage or toughness. I wish the chickenhawks of the right wing were not so successful in their manipulations.

I think the nadir (one of several?) of the co-opting and desecration of military services from the GOP came from the 2002 campaign in Georgia between Max Cleland, the sitting Democratic Senator, and MAx Chambliss, the Republican challenger. In the last days of the campaign, Chambliss ran ads that paried Cleland's images next to Osama bin Laden and accused him of pandering to terrorists. Meanwhile, Cleland lost two legs and half of one arm during his service in Vietnam. So the GOP camapign machine turned someone who literally gave his limbs in service to his country into a terrorist sympathizer. I was not that fond of Cleland since he's a bit of a yellow dog Democrat, but the attack ads against him was vicious. It drew criticism from both McCain and Hagel, actually, and the ad was withdrawn after it has done it's damage.

Not disagreeing with any of this, but it is kind of amazing to consider that this "toughness gap" exists when it was a Republican administration who ignored pre-9/11 intelligence, failed to contain Bin Laden at Tora Bora, and bungled the occupation of Iraq, and it was a Democratic administration who actually authorized the operation that killed Bin Laden.

There's just something wrong with the idea that being willing to send other people's children into combat on the shoddiest and flimsiest of cases in any way betokens courage or toughness. I wish the chickenhawks of the right wing were not so successful in their manipulations.

I think that the impressions people have of political parties is often accurate in a very general way, but unfortunately this sort of from-orbit view also allows for a good deal of insanity. The risible notion that a guy who gave three limbs in service of his country is somehow coddling its enemies is IMO a good example of this. However, if you're already inclined to think of Republicans as Daddy and Democrats as Mommy, well, isn't Mommy the source of affection and Daddy of discipline?

It's because they've somehow managed to co-op even those things. Someone here argued - and I've heard conservatives I know personally argue this as well - that the only reason bin Laden was killed on Obama's watch was because of the work that George W. Bush and Republicans did.

In the "no surprises here" news category, the Oil Industry has given out $45,000 on average to each of the 270 members of the House who support the Keystone pipeline

Also in the "no surprises here, who cares about pollution when we're filling our own coffers" category,

A year after a toxic leak contaminated drinking water for 300,000 residents, West Virginia lawmakers are considering a series of proposals that would weaken a new chemical tank safety law, remove stronger pollution protections for streams across the state, and protect the coal industry from enforcement actions over violations of water quality standards.

Members of a coalition of citizen groups called the West Virginia Safe Water Roundtable held a news conference Monday at the Capitol to draw attention to their concerns and to urge lawmakers not to roll back the state’s clean water laws.

On Tuesday, one broad bill backed by the West Virginia Coal Association is up for passage in the Senate, and efforts to attach industry-backed amendments to a Department of Environmental Protection rules bill are expected in a House committee.

“It’s a critical time,” said Angie Rosser, executive director of the West Virginia Rivers Coalition.

The DEP rules bill, on the agenda Tuesdaythis morning before the House Industry and Labor Committee, proposes to add drinking water protections to the part of the Kanawha River that flows through downtown Charleston.

Last week in the Senate, a committee began considering an amendment from the GOP-controlled majority that would not only remove the drinking water protections the DEP wants for the Kanwaha from the Senate version of the bill, but also end the DEP’s longstanding policy of enforcing the state’s so-called “Category A” drinking water standards on all rivers and streams across the state.

The good ole GOP, always trying to help the little guy (get cancer and die).

Isn't part of the problem the fact that Democrats refuse to take the gloves off? Why not put these guys in their place by calling out their bullshit with strong language instead of playing the gentleman all the time?

Also in the "no surprises here, who cares about pollution when we're filling our own coffers" category,

The good ole GOP, always trying to help the little guy (get cancer and die).

Is it alright for the citizens of West Virginia to engage in sabotage if these politicians manage to pass these laws?

I mean, if the politicians and energy companies are saying "we don't give a fuck about you" then why should the citizens give a fuck about them?

Yes, people love the "hard men making hard choices" thing. Solutions that are good for everyone or that help the downtrodden and basically don't cause any real harm are seen as "weak".

I think it's about people's real difficulty in accepting that you can make improvements without real sacrifice.

I think it's about people's real difficulty in accepting that you can make improvements without real sacrifice.

Yes, many thanks to the GOP for spending the last thirty years cutting taxes while not significantly reducing services. Now Americans think they can have a low level of taxation with a high level of government services. Free ponies for all!

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/120967/wall-street-pays-bankers-work-government-and-wants-it-secret

Citigroup is one of three Wall Street banks attempting to keep hidden their practice of paying executives multimillion-dollar awards for entering government service. In letters delivered to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) over the last month, Citi, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley seek exemption from a shareholder proposal, filed by the AFL-CIO labor coalition, which would force them to identify all executives eligible for these financial rewards, and the specific dollar amounts at stake. Critics argue these “golden parachutes” ensure more financial insiders in policy positions and favorable treatment toward Wall Street.

Guess there really is no difference between Wall Street and the government anymore. Welcome to the Oligarchy of America.

The bizarre saga of Oregon Governor John Kitzhaber is coming to a close. He's resigning next Wednesday, and since Oregon doesn't have a Lt. Governor, Secretary of State Kate Brown will become Governor. She'll be the first openly LGBT Governor in US history, so that's cool. More importantly, she has the backing of the state's entire Democratic establishment so she won't be a caretaker, lame-duck sort of Governor.

Can you run for the presidency with an unfavorable rating as a current governor (Chris Christie)? I usually don't follow these kinds of polls too closely so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. But I would find it hard to believe that a guy with an unfavorable rating can be taken seriously.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/13/chris-christie-unfavorable-rating-new-jersey

Can you run for the presidency with an unfavorable rating as a current governor (Chris Christie)? I usually don't follow these kinds of polls too closely so I'm not sure if this is normal or not. But I would find it hard to believe that a guy with an unfavorable rating can be taken seriously.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/13/chris-christie-unfavorable-rating-new-jersey

I agree. Part of Christie's supposed appeal is that he will get traction with blue-staters, but at this point it's not certain he could carry his own blue state.

From what I understand, some Christie donors aren't committing to backing him, and with an ever-increasing flood of investigations, I don't think that will change. Apparently, following the Rudy Giuliani Philosophy of Presidential Campaigning (being a jerk) gets you the same results (going nowhere).

I agree. Part of Christie's supposed appeal is that he will get traction with blue-staters, but at this point it's not certain he could carry his own blue state.

From what I understand, some Christie donors aren't committing to backing him, and with an ever-increasing flood of investigations, I don't think that will change. Apparently, following the Rudy Giuliani Philosophy of Presidential Campaigning (being a jerk) gets you the same results (going nowhere).

Maybe he'll have Giuliani campaign for him.

To be fair, Romney had high unfavorables in Massachusetts by 2011, and he still ended up with the nomination. And any Republican presidential map that is relying on New Jersey to be part of its 270EVs is one already in desperate straights.

The bigger problem for Christie is that it seems unlikely that his brash attitude will do well in the South or Midwest. Also, with reports that Bush may raise $100 million in this quarter, it seems like there's definitely no room left for a second establishment candidate.

And any Republican presidential map that is relying on New Jersey to be part of its 270EVs is one already in desperate straights.

Uh, Fez, you mean "desperate straits." Although it is probable that there are many desperate straights who are Republicans.

Uh, Fez, you mean "desperate straits." Although it is probable that there are many desperate straights who are Republicans.

Oh, I don't know about desperate. Those straight Republicans are usually up to more shenanigans than their Democrat counterparts.

This story on Bill Clinton's post-presidential sexual escapades is insane. It will certainly be exciting having the First Predator back in the White House.

The best is how the media dutifully plays along with the ruse that Bill and Hillary haven't been separated since he left office.

Archived