U.S. Politics - Jeb announced yet?

TerraPrime

Come now my little stalker. The same can be said for both sides.

That's a weak argument.

I would say because the left will actually get called out by not only the right but also their own base. Right wingers never get called out for anything by their own base and seldom by the left.

Case in point, Fox News correspondent claims Paris has neighborhoods where non-Muslims are not allowed, French police won't go there, and there are special islamic police who enforce sharia law. During this interview the Fox News host nods along and says basically that wow she never knew. Fox gets called out (which isn't rate but they rarely acknowledge it), apologizes, end of story. Maybe a left wing blog does one blurb.

Brian Williams a known liberal, lies about being on a helicopter that went down (which is still a pretty big deal don't get me wrong) and not only NBC pulls him off, but a right wing Blog shares eight stories in the span of ten minutes about the same event.

Joe Scarborough fellates the Koch Brothers on air for a good ten minutes and nobody says a thing. Does no journalism, keeps his job as a journalist. What specifically has been debunked that the left keeps propagating?

Come now my little stalker.

Wth are you on about now?

The same can be said for both sides.

That's a weak argument.

On the topic of minimum wage? The historical data is very clear but ok, go ahead and back up whatever point you're trying to make.

Brian Williams a known liberal, lies about being on a helicopter that went down (which is still a pretty big deal don't get me wrong) and not only NBC pulls him off, but a right wing Blog shares eight stories in the span of ten minutes about the same event.

Joe Scarborough fellates the Koch Brothers on air for a good ten minutes and nobody says a thing. Does no journalism, keeps his job as a journalist. What specifically has been debunked that the left keeps propagating?

One of those cases involves a respected journalist making a factually inaccurate claim. The other apparently involves a talking head personality not being aggressive enough when interviewing the Left's bogeymen. Not a fan of Scarborough but there's no "double-standard" in favor of the Right here

One of those cases involves a respected journalist making a factually inaccurate claim. The other apparently involves a talking head personality not being aggressive enough when interviewing the Left's bogeymen. Not a fan of Scarborough but there's no "double-standard" in favor of the Right here

Wait, what? What were you responding to here? EDIT nevermind, I misread it. He wasn't interviewing them, he was talking about a fundraiser he attended. He pretty much had a cocktail with them and listened to them go on about how they're such good, principled Libertarians and have no use for establishment Republicans (despite the fact they'll donate $1 billion before it's over to put one into the White House in 2016) and they don't like corporate welfare (they never turn it down though). Straight up, anti-objectivity all the way. I thought MSNBC was supposed to be a liberal media bias outlet.

Let's dig a little deeper. Newt Gingrich claimed if Barack Obama was re-elected gas would go up to $10.00 a gallon. According to various sources and approximately 0 polls (one had him winning but not a landslide) Romney was apparently going to win in a landslide in 2012. Various right wingers and right wing news outlets claim Keystone XL Pipeline will create tens of thousands of jobs and make America completely energy independent when it's more like 35 permanent jobs and a Canadian company/ Koch family gets the money. Sean Hannity claims very regularly the government makes more off oil than the oil industry (which to be fair is a mixed bag of truth, but not a straight truth). We'll be seen as liberators when we invade Iraq. Iraqi oil will pay for the whole war. Torture works.

I'm sure everybody who has said these things have recanted their statements and apologized for saying something factually incorrect as if it were truth. Now what specifically has been debunked that the left keeps propagating? I'm sure there's something major, I'm not gonna pretend the left is perfect either. I'll start with one that's easily provable to be a half-truth: the money from the auto industry bailout being paid back the government in full.

Looks like the Garden State guv may be facing something as bad as Bridgegate:

But then, late Thursday, came another setback: news that the federal investigation that U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman started a year ago as an inquiry into the politically motivated lane closures at the George Washington Bridge had apparentlybroadened out yet further, into a matter that could implicate Christie in another episode of apparent political retribution.

Even if Christie manages to wriggle away from prosecution, these constant investigations have to be hurting him amongst the GOP powers that be, whose support he needs to start locking down now. Why would anyone back a candidate who's so compromised? I'm starting to think that Chris Christie may be out of the race before Iowa.

Surprisingly, kashkari is not going to run against harris, Villaraigosa is still dithering, as well.

That's a tough choice to make, because if party support is coalescing around Harris, Villaraigosa is going to have to fight hard to stand a decent chance of winning. I doubt he wants to be remembers as the guy who split the Democratic vote so that a Republican could sneak into office.

If there's only two major Democrats running, I think its certain at least one of them makes the runoff. The state as a whole is just that liberal. The concern was if there were 5 or 6 big Democratic names. And also if there were exactly two big Republican names who could take the two run-off spots when all those Democrats split the vote. Instead there are zero big Republican names running, and what looks like at least half a dozen minor ones.

Also, there's likely going to be another senate seat and the governor's mansion open in 2018, so this is not the only upcoming opportunity for aspiring Democrats.

Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court orders probate judges not to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples....and is promptly ignored in most of the state.

In major county seats like Birmingham, Montgomery and Huntsville, gay couples lined up outside courthouses as they opened, and emerged smiling, licenses in hand, after being wed by clergy or by the judges themselves.

At the Jefferson County Courthouse here, Judge Michael G. Graffeo of Circuit Court officiated, at times tearfully, at the civil wedding of Dinah McCaryer and Olanda Smith, the first to emerge from the crowd of same-sex couples who lined up Monday morning. “I now pronounce Olanda and Dinah are married spouses, entitled to all rights and privileges, as well as all responsibilities, afforded and placed upon them by the State of Alabama,” Judge Graffeo said.

Here in Jefferson County, Judge Alan L. King of Probate Court said he had no hesitation, despite the Sunday night order on marriage licenses from Chief Justice Moore....

”At the end of the day, it’s still a very simple legal analysis: You’ve got a federal court order,” Judge King said in an interview as he watched the couples line up, near a white ribbon and red balloons.

He added: “This is a happy day for all of these couples, and if you can’t be happy for people, then I’m sorry. If someone can’t understand the joy and happiness of others, then I don’t know what else I can say.”

Looks like my vote for Tom Wolf is already paying off:

Gov. Wolf on Monday said he is dismantling his predecessor's alternative to Medicaid expansion and will move forward with the transition to traditional Medicaid insurance coverage for hundreds of thousands of low-income Pennsylvanians.

Last year was bad for Democrats nationally, but pretty good for Pennsylvania. This, of course, makes repealing the ACA even less plausible.

This may be a stupid question but why is veteran's benefits a different line than military?

Because conservatives love small government so much they decided we should have two massive bureaucracies instead of one? Sort of like how the small government market based solution to two massive intelligence bureaucracies incapable of doing their jobs and incapable of working together was to create a third massive intelligence bureaucracy also unable to work with its colleagues.

Because conservatives love small government so much they decided we should have two massive bureaucracies instead of one? Sort of like how the small government market based solution to two massive intelligence bureaucracies incapable of doing their jobs and incapable of working together was to create a third massive intelligence bureaucracy also unable to work with its colleagues.

It is a winning strategy for the GOP - set up a large government so that you can run on a platform of reducing the size of the government, and when elected, use the election result to eliminate programs that you don't like and create more programs and offices to ensure your next round of election on the same platform.

Actually, I think it makes sense to keep them separate. Managing the national defense is a rather different task then providing health care (and other) benefits to veterans. And DOD is so massive as is, adding to its portfolio is not a good way to reduce bureaucratic inertia or increase administrative oversight.

Actually, I think it makes sense to keep them separate. Managing the national defense is a rather different task then providing health care (and other) benefits to veterans. And DOD is so massive as is, adding to its portfolio is not a good way to reduce bureaucratic inertia or increase administrative oversight.

By that logic should the Navy, Army, and Air Force each have a separate budget? Actually it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they did. Do they?

By that logic should the Navy, Army, and Air Force each have a separate budget? Actually it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they did. Do they?

Yes individually they do have separate operating budgets but it all comes out of the defense funds so technically no.

Makes more sense to roll veterans issues into the standard military budget. Less likely to be cut that way and maybe forces you to budget it as part of paying for any military action.

Makes more sense to roll veterans issues into the standard military budget. Less likely to be cut that way and maybe forces you to budget it as part of paying for any military action.

I disagree. If they were combined, it might take money away from needed medical and other benefits to buy military gear instead.

Archived