Let's talk about GRRM's original plan

The Amethyst Empress

But you've already answered yourself regarding that:

Arya and Tyrion had different character concepts in the draft. I also think it's interesting that almost all of the posts about Arya/Jon are followed with disgust at the thought of these siblings in love but don't bat an eye at Jaime/Cersei. Is it because we meet Jaime and Cersei already involved? It might also be that we think of Arya as we know her in the books - a spirited child. But I get the vibe that she's older in the draft.

What? Jaime/Cersei is hella gross, no matter how you cut the mustard. (and its actually depicted as a negative, and A Problem for the realm) Jon/Arya in the OG draft here, seems to be hinted at being a positive. And unless Jon and Arya were raised separately (as was custom for bastards), and the reveal about Jon obvious enough early on, people would still view it as pretty gross.

Something tells me GRRM always had Tyrion as a dwarf.

What? Jaime/Cersei is hella gross, no matter how you cut the mustard. (and its actually depicted as a negative, and A Problem for the realm) Jon/Arya in the OG draft here, seems to be hinted at being a positive. And unless Jon and Arya were raised separately (as was custom for bastards), and the reveal about Jon obvious enough early on, people would still view it as pretty gross.

Something tells me GRRM always had Tyrion as a dwarf.

No, it's their children being passed as trueborns that is a problem for the realm. But ok, you may find it hella gross. Most readers accept it as status quo.

ETA: At least I think they do since there are very very very few threads discussing the ewww factor of Cersei and Jaime.

I am going with the new love triangle having Dany at the center, actually. Tyrion is already over there, very nearly to Dany's side. And Dany will eventually need to face the north. Tyrion will come with her. Though Sansa DOES work, as Tyrion is already married to Sansa.

I really like seeing how things have changed--Dany was always going to kill Drogo, but the way it went down is SO MUCH better than the simple synopsis here. And this summary doesn't have any of her growing power and freeing slaves. I write, so I love seeing how a pretty good idea can evolve into a great story.

Finally, someone else who finds incest incredibly disgusting. I was beginning to think I was the only one in here.

Yeah, it was already pretty much a given that Jon, Dany, Tyrion and Bran were going to make it to the end. When I read about the "5" though, I thought Sansa rather than Arya, because I think she's going to be the one that raises the North, the Riverlands, and the Vale back into major power. But now this makes me think even if she does do this, she's gonna die quickly. I'm actually a bit surprised about Arya; I always thought she'd just be a bit part player who dies after killing someone important in the next book.

You thought Arya was a bit player??? Arya has the 3rd most POVs following Tyrion and Jon.

Yep, I did think she was a bit player. Her age and attitude made me think she's going to do something very stupid and die because of it, even with the FM training (read: she still kills whoever the fuck she wants). Also, she seemed to be just an eye into the effects of war in the Riverlands.

You thought Arya was a bit player??? Arya has the 3rd most POVs following Tyrion and Jon.

True but for most of her arc thus far she seems to be more of an observer, not an actor. She moves through the Riverlands and we see what she sees. That isn't to say she won't ultimately be an actor.

Yep, I did think she was a bit player. Her age and attitude made me think she's going to do something very stupid and die because of it, even with the FM training (read: she still kills whoever the fuck she wants). Also, she seemed to be just an eye into the effects of war in the Riverlands.

I suppose I have to learn your "speak". Doing something stupid and dying does not mean they are a bit character, as far as I understand it.

True but for most of her arc thus far she seems to be more of an observer, not an actor. She moves through the Riverlands and we see what she sees. That isn't to say she won't ultimately be an actor.

Yes I agree.

No, it's their children being passed as trueborns that is a problem for the realm. But ok, you may find it hella gross. Most readers accept it as status quo.

ETA: At least I think they do since there are very very very few threads discussing the ewww factor of Cersei and Jaime.

Says something about this forum's status quo, dont it?

Finally, someone else who finds incest incredibly disgusting. I was beginning to think I was the only one in here.

Cheers. Its even grosser cuz theyre twins. :ack:

Considering where Arya is now, i think the actor on a stage comparison is apt. omg hi its been awhile!

Considering the House of Black and White is currently infiltrating the Citadel, and the Citadel itself seems to be heavily involved in the magical side of the story, there's no way Arya's going to be a bit player. I suspect her story will probably tie into the coming rise of magic more so than the politics of the North.

I suppose I have to learn your "speak". Doing something stupid and dying does not mean they are a bit character, as far as I understand it.

It makes Oberyn a bit player.

Look, don't get worked up. I just didn't consider Arya one of the main characters the way I did Jon, Tyrion, Dany and Bran. Heck, in my mind Arya was below Jaime and Theon. But she's not. Her role will be comparable to the other four by the end That's cool.

Well, as I said... Apparently people use those two pages as more accurate indicator of what will happen than 5 written books. The problem I see is that now we don't argue what story could have been. but what story will be based on that. Which, IMO, is totally nonsensical.

I agree we can't get too specific. But I think it does provide fascinating insight into where the George was planning to go with story.

I believe she has the most?

Even if she doesn't, she is and will remain the only character with POVs in every. single. book.

That should tell you how important she is.

Why place much importance on GRRM's concept of ASOIAF that is over 20 years old? The man has established that he is much more of a gardener than an architect when it comes to how he is writing this story. His process is very organic and he gives free reign to where his characters want to go. Only he knows where this tale is going and it may turn out that his original cast and their roles in getting to the finale have changed. Cherished fan theories are not necessarily supported or denied by this news.

Archived