Heresy 151

Black Crow

Specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if Ned fought the KG somewhere other than the TOJ, which would suggest Aegon also was being kept somewhere else.

No, that at least is established by Ned's thoughts about burying them and his own companions afterwards and pulling the tower down to build cairns over them. That didn't form part of the dodgy dream but came after he was awake.

The question of what they were actually doing there is wide open though and I've earlier explored one option in my ronin essay, but of course another option is that they were defending the Pass and being bolshyin their responses because they were defending a king [Aegon] back at Starfall, who was officially dead.

"Aegon" didn't appear in KL the day of his death, though, so if a year-old infant had been replaced with a two-month old infant, people would have noticed, unless Martin himself believed they couldn't.

Rhaegar could have run off with Aegon at about the same time as he ran off with Lyanna, in which case there'd be no problem with a replacement. It'd be a Gilly's baby for Mance's baby scenario, so it also has the benefit of a parallel in the novels. I assume you guys are saying that this baby is the present day Aegon, or is this baby Jon? Jon is unlikely, as, again, no one's going to mistake a near-toddler, which is what Aegon would be by the time Ned got to WF, with a very young baby.

I don't think anyone is claiming the original Aegon is now Jon. Jon looks exactly like a Stark, which would have been hard for Rhaegar + Elia to pull off. Jon definitely has a Stark parent- most likely Lyanna.

As for who Aegon is now... yes I would say Young Griff/(f)Aegon is most likely. Though there is a tiny part of me (usually hidden away and tightly wrapped in tinfoil) that wonders about this Edric Dayne, Lord of Starfall, with his purple eyes who is roughly the right age (off by a couple of years, but 12 vs 14 is hard to see) and who is a Dayne named after Ned. But he has been such a minor character thus far that it would be weird if he turned out to be super important. (Which he would be, in this scenario, as he has access to Thoros, Lady SH and Oathkeeper/Ice/Lightbringer. As I have said before, if this sword were to burn, we would have Ice on fire. Rhaegar named Aegon the PtwP and said his is the song of ice and fire. Ice. Fire. Together. It would fit incredibly well, making the real Aegon the real PtwP/AA, which is why it's a fun crackpot to consider. But a crackpot nonetheless, with no real evidence except it would fit well. )

Agreed. The fact that neither of them appears to have informed the rest of the Starks what was going on suggests to me that it was neither a hostage situation nor an elopement. And after thinking about it some more, Rhaegar locking her up because she knew some secret doesn't work either- b/c if that was the case, why the flowers at the tourney?

Unless of course the flowers don't mean anything. Maybe Rhaegar found out Lyanna was the KotLT and was honoring her, and maybe Elia knew, and thus was not upset or insulted. It may not have signified Rhaegar's feelings for Lyanna at all. Think of Loras Tyrell, and the red rose he gives Sansa. He gave white roses to all the other girls, but a red one to her. She thinks this is such a big deal for many months, but then when she brings it up he doesn't even remember. He was being gallant, as is expected of a knight, but had no interest in Sansa. (Wasn't Renly sitting right behind her? lol).

So maybe Rhaegar didn't think the flowers would be such a big deal... and then later, someone else took advantage of this incident to make it look like Rhaegar abducted Lyanna. When in fact it was somebody else. Just throwing that possibility out there.

One thing that is probably significant is that there were roses in the room when Lyanna died. Ned brings this up so many times that I think it's probably true. Which means, whoever held her captive (if indeed she was a prisoner) also brought her flowers. Which is passing strange, to say the least. (Also Rhaegar had been dead for probably a month when Ned found her, so chances are it wasn't him that picked the roses for her).

The bolded part is what had initially led me to the thought that maybe it really wasn't Aegon that was killed. The dead baby is described as an infant multiple times, while Aegon should have been between 1 and 2 years old. I agree with your suggestion, that maybe GRRM was phrasing it this way on purpose. As I do really like my theory... ;)

I agree, the Varys baby switching plan is weird, and I don't like it. In fact, I prefer to think Varys was not actually involved initially. Rhaegar and Elia decided it would be best to keep Aegon away from Aerys. They weren't concerned about KL being sacked at that time, but they were worried about what Aerys might do to Aegon. Elia and Rhaenys were in less danger, as neither of them was Rhaegar's heir so they were not a threat to Aerys or his potential new heir Viserys the way Aegon could have been. So it was decided that Aegon would go to Dorne with Ashara. Ashara's baby would stay behind- just as Gilly's baby stays behind. Why would the mothers agree to this? Well, in both cases, presumably the threat to the prince/heir does not apply to the other baby. If Aerys wanted to kill Aegon, and Elia reveals it's not Aegon (look, dude, this baby is way too young!), he would have no reason to harm the other baby. No king's blood...

Of course the Mountain didn't take the time to ask Elia about her baby before he killed them both, and nobody else would have questioned that the baby in Elia's room was in fact her son.

Agreed. Terrible plan. There are still plenty of things not explained by this theory, but at least it gives the KG a reason for being in Dorne when apparently there was no king there.

We should also keep in mind that much of what we know of the TOJ is from Ned's fever dream, which GRRM has discredited at least partially already. So the details could have been different. Specifically, I wouldn't be surprised if Ned fought the KG somewhere other than the TOJ, which would suggest Aegon also was being kept somewhere else.

Yeah i think that's it right there,i think it was nothing more than Rhaegar finding out who Lyanna was and giving her honor where she wasn't going to get it anyway.I do like the Monster/Mance's baby swap analogy and just as a side note just to show how people notice things but don't really see.We get a description of the babies.Gilly's baby was born before Mance's child by how long????? Yet that swap was made still and no one outside of the circle of trust is non the wiser.

PrettyPig had brought the similarities between what happened with Jon and the Halfhand on the Skirling pass and what might have happened with the Kingsguard in that they were probably just keeping the way into Dorne and to add BC they stopped at the Tower because it was a Tower and human's are drawn to to stuff like that.So they probably wern't guarding anything or anyone.

I don't think anyone is claiming the original Aegon is now Jon. Jon looks exactly like a Stark, which would have been hard for Rhaegar + Elia to pull off. Jon definitely has a Stark parent- most likely Lyanna.

As for who Aegon is now... yes I would say Young Griff/(f)Aegon is most likely. Though there is a tiny part of me (usually hidden away and tightly wrapped in tinfoil) that wonders about this Edric Dayne, Lord of Starfall, with his purple eyes who is roughly the right age (off by a couple of years, but 12 vs 14 is hard to see) and who is a Dayne named after Ned. But he has been such a minor character thus far that it would be weird if he turned out to be super important. (Which he would be, in this scenario, as he has access to Thoros, Lady SH and Oathkeeper/Ice/Lightbringer. As I have said before, if this sword were to burn, we would have Ice on fire. Rhaegar named Aegon the PtwP and said his is the song of ice and fire. Ice. Fire. Together. It would fit incredibly well, making the real Aegon the real PtwP/AA, which is why it's a fun crackpot to consider. But a crackpot nonetheless, with no real evidence except it would fit well. )

In truth though at the point where Jon was a baby or before he was born nobody would have an inkling of how he "would" look.He may have come out looking like a Targ with Stark coloring or a Stark with Targ coloring.But as it so happens the original plan went to crap because Elia,Rhaegar and Ashara died.Enter Ned in the 9th hour to save the day and claim the child as his own.So the original plan worked but with Ned and some other woman.

As for who Aegon is now... yes I would say Young Griff/(f)Aegon is most likely.

Yes, I think so too. To me, the more open question is "Who is Septa Lemore?"

The most common answer is Ashara, of course, but I have trouble believing she would sacrifice her life in Westeros, including faking her death, solely to raise Elia's baby son under crazy conditions in Essos.

It seems more likely she would raise her own baby. But if that's so, I don't know why she'd have to run to Essos to raise it... unless her baby was a Targ, and I have no good reason to think that was the case. Although it's possible, because a looker like Ashara might well have been appealing to Aerys, and Aerys was apparently a bit, uh, handsy with the ladies.

So if I have to choose between

1. Young Griff = Aegon and Septa Lemore is not Ashara

2. Septa Lemore is Ashara and Young Griff is her non-stillborn, non-daughter son by Aerys

...I lean toward 1, but wouldn't rule out 2.

there is a tiny part of me (usually hidden away and tightly wrapped in tinfoil) that wonders about this Edric Dayne, Lord of Starfall, with his purple eyes who is roughly the right age (off by a couple of years, but 12 vs 14 is hard to see) and who is a Dayne named after Ned

Yeah, he's interesting, but as you suggest, he's really just too young. I'm pretty sure he is simply the son of the older brother of Arthur and Ashara of whom we've heard nothing.

But I do think he has quite an interesting role to play in a future book.

I agree, the Varys baby switching plan is weird, and I don't like it. In fact, I prefer to think Varys was not actually involved initially. Rhaegar and Elia decided it would be best to keep Aegon away from Aerys. They weren't concerned about KL being sacked at that time, but they were worried about what Aerys might do to Aegon. Elia and Rhaenys were in less danger, as neither of them was Rhaegar's heir so they were not a threat to Aerys or his potential new heir Viserys the way Aegon could have been. So it was decided that Aegon would go to Dorne with Ashara. Ashara's baby would stay behind- just as Gilly's baby stays behind. Why would the mothers agree to this? Well, in both cases, presumably the threat to the prince/heir does not apply to the other baby. If Aerys wanted to kill Aegon, and Elia reveals it's not Aegon (look, dude, this baby is way too young!), he would have no reason to harm the other baby. No king's blood...

Unlikely that this would make sense to them as reason rarely came into Aerys' decisions. It's just as likely that he could have killed the child anyway. whether it be he wouldn't have believed Elia or whether he just wouldn't care. This is the "Mad King" after all.

The most common answer is Ashara, of course, but I have trouble believing she would sacrifice her life in Westeros, including faking her death, solely to raise Elia's baby son under crazy conditions in Essos.

It seems more likely she would raise her own baby. But if that's so, I don't know why she'd have to run to Essos to raise it... unless her baby was a Targ, and I have no good reason to think that was the case. Although it's possible, because a looker like Ashara might well have been appealing to Aerys, and Aerys was apparently a bit, uh, handsy with the ladies.

2. Septa Lemore is Ashara and Young Griff is her non-stillborn, non-daughter son by Aerys

Yeah, he's interesting, but as you suggest, he's really just too young. I'm pretty sure he is simply the son of the older brother of Arthur and Ashara of whom we've heard nothing.

I tend toward 1 as well, if not for the fact that Tyrion's description of Lemore notably neglects to tell us her eye colour which was supposedly Ashara's most striking feature.

I have some pretty out-there ideas about Lemore.

1) She is the female BF descendant (daughter of Maelys). Only BF of her generation.

2) She has a child with either Doran Martell's KG brother (Arianne mentions a living mistress) or the lord of Driftmark. The child is a hidden BF heir.

You know i just thought of something,to me a simple something.A big part of the RLJ arguement( and then i'm off if for now) is that Robert who had a deep hatred for Targs based on his belief about what went down would have killed Jon on account of what his father did to the woman he loved.If not so and the alternative was that they were in love,i can think of a couple of times where Ned could have nicley told his friend.

"Robert,i love you and i know you loved my sister but Lyanna and Rhaegar were in love and they ran off together." Holding this grudge against Rhaegar for a crime he didn't do and condeming all Targs to die based on what you thought happened is not honorable.

For that matter why would Lyanna think her child was in danger from Robert to evoke a promise from Ned to protect her child against him ,if she knew she wasn't raped and was in love with his father. Was Robert that irrational where even if Ned told him the truth he would "rant,rave and misbehave' to the point where he'd still act like a dishonerable cuckold?

Mmmm yes, once again what we think we know isn't always what's written and that might certainly open wider the possibility of Elia having Ashara carry her son to safety in their Dornish homeland rather than take him to the viper pit commonly known as King's Landing. Aerys after all wasn't demanding her return from Dragonstone for the sake of her health.

Ashara passes off the babe as hers by "admitting" to have been dishonoured at Harrenhal, but then Ned tools up and advises her to flee on account of Trouserless Bob is intent on exterminating all Targaryens and so the babe dies and she throws herself off a cliff only for both of them to turn upon a pole-boat in Essos 16 years later.

Doesn't help us with Jon though.

Nope, but at least we have the Aegon story line pretty much worked out. :cool4: Except for when/how Varys got involved. He was Aerys' spy, so I highly doubt Rhaegar and Elia would have trusted him. Then again, he's Varys and knows everything. He probably knew when Aegon was smuggled out, and went after him once Aerys was dead.

One small disagreement: you seem to suggest that Ashara was never pregnant. If she is indeed Lemore, she has stretch marks that according to Tyrion could only come from childbirth. So she must have had a kid at some point.

No, that at least is established by Ned's thoughts about burying them and his own companions afterwards and pulling the tower down to build cairns over them. That didn't form part of the dodgy dream but came after he was awake.

The question of what they were actually doing there is wide open though and I've earlier explored one option in my ronin essay, but of course another option is that they were defending the Pass and being bolshyin their responses because they were defending a king [Aegon] back at Starfall, who was officially dead.

Ah yes, you are right. Bad example.

I thought about them just defending the pass into Dorne, which is possible... but not all that satisfying. Ned didn't know to look for Aegon in Dorne, that's not why he was going there at all. So why die to keep him out of the entire kingdom? Why not stay at Starfall and protect Aegon in the event that Ned tools up there and gives a hoot about some baby. Hell, he'd never even have to see him, they could just keep him in a different building.

As you said... this one is still wide open.

Yes, wolfmaid7, Lyanna would not believe Robert as a threat to her son. Neither would Ned, I believe. Robert did not kill children, he was fond of making them (hah!)

Tywin Lannister ordered the children murdered, and Robert could not stomach the sight of such a travesty. Afterward he said 'good job' but I doubt Big Bob would have done the deed himself. Even Ned, years later, was taken aback by Robert's decision to take out Daenerys and couldn't believe he would do such a horrible thing.

I am actually not a huge fan of Lemore being Ashara either, but if Aegon is real, and if Ashara helped him escape Dragonstone, she should be the first person we at least consider.

I agree it would be a sacrifice for her to raise Elia's child, but really, what's left for her on Westeros? Her brother is dead, her child is dead, Ned is married but not to her, it is known she gave birth to a bastard and is damaged goods... her friend Elia is dead, her employers the Targaryens are dead... She really doesn't have much to lose. Also, note how Gilly is growing quite attached to Dalla's baby. I wonder if that whole swap was added for the purpose of showing us that mothers can accept other children and love them as if they were their own.

The main thing that speaks against it is that Tyrion never mentions her eyes, which according to Barristan and Meera were quite striking and purple. So unless she is glamouring a little, this makes her an unlikely candidate.

Is it possible Lemore is a character we haven't met or heard about? I would much prefer if she were revealed as someone whose story we have heard, but can't think of any other attractive, dark-haired women who disappeared (or "died") 10+ years ago and at one point had a child. (Except Lyanna. But she didn't disappear, and her Stark look is too distinctive for Tyrion not to notice. So no, I am not suggesting that.)

Yes, wolfmaid7, Lyanna would not believe Robert as a threat to her son. Neither would Ned, I believe. Robert did not kill children, he was fond of making them (hah!)

Tywin Lannister ordered the children murdered, and Robert could not stomach the sight of such a travesty. Afterward he said 'good job' but I doubt Big Bob would have done the deed himself. Even Ned, years later, was taken aback by Robert's decision to take out Daenerys and couldn't believe he would do such a horrible thing.

I mean Robert was a dick yeah,but i'm more concerned with if it was a matter of the heart might it have ben easier to tell Robert my sister and Rhaegar were in love versus he raped her over and over (don't know where Robert got this info).If we are to believe that Lyanna would believe for whatever reason that Robert would kill her son because......Why would she have thought that again?

It's just the whole arguement.

Especially if he spends his time appearing at comcons and running a movie theater instead of writing.

He comes up with every excuse he can to not be at his house while still refusing to write anywhere but his house. This at least 6 months after his schedule was supposed to be ENTIRELY CLEAR for him to sit down and finish TWOW. We might need another author to take over RIGHT NOW if we want to insure we aren't waiting til 2025-2030 for ADOS.

Given that Robert ultimately ended up marrying a Lannister, there are more concerns about Jon's safety (assuming he's Rhaegar's son) than just what Robert himself would do; Jon may be a bastard, but in this case, he'd be a bastard of two noble lines, including the former royal dynasty.

Tywin would never allow even the slightest risk of having to eventually deal with something like the Blackfyre Rebellion, where a semi-legitimate candidate for the throne becomes a rallying point for malcontents, so it's pretty fair to assume that Jon wouldn't be safe if he was a known son of Rhaegar.

Nope, but at least we have the Aegon story line pretty much worked out. :cool4: Except for when/how Varys got involved. He was Aerys' spy, so I highly doubt Rhaegar and Elia would have trusted him...

I've seen great certainty expressed elsewhere regarding what Varys would or would not have done during Robert's Rebellion, based on assumptions about his dedicated loyalty to the Mad King. And, like almost every other assessment of individual behavior during that time period, it is essentially overblown conjecture and wishful thinking.

Even if we thought Varys was one to put a mad king before his own interests, or the interests of "the realm" (and I don't), there just isn't enough information provided to know the specific pressures, incentives, and motivations affecting him at the time. Aerys' public appearance at the Harrenhal Tourney effectively proved the beginning of the end of his reign, and the execution of the Starks sealed his fate - it was a dramatic, high profile display of madness and incompetence before the realm, through which the king lost all power and support. For all we know (and there are certainly hints to this effect), Rhaegar, the lords paramount, Varys, even the Kingsguard themselves may have turned against Aerys before the end - at least to the extent that they were working around and in spite of him to secure the best interests of his family and kingdom.

You know i just thought of something,to me a simple something.A big part of the RLJ arguement( and then i'm off if for now) is that Robert who had a deep hatred for Targs based on his belief about what went down would have killed Jon on account of what his father did to the woman he loved.If not so and the alternative was that they were in love,i can think of a couple of times where Ned could have nicley told his friend.

"Robert,i love you and i know you loved my sister but Lyanna and Rhaegar were in love and they ran off together." Holding this grudge against Rhaegar for a crime he didn't do and condeming all Targs to die based on what you thought happened is not honorable.

For that matter why would Lyanna think her child was in danger from Robert to evoke a promise from Ned to protect her child against him ,if she knew she wasn't raped and was in love with his father. Was Robert that irrational where even if Ned told him the truth he would "rant,rave and misbehave' to the point where he'd still act like a dishonerable cuckold?

I must say, that from the first 13 chapters only, and the synopsis, a far more likely interpretation would be that Ned is fostering Robert's son, Jon "Snow," in hopes of protecting him from the Lannisters. The hatred of Rhaegar is still mentioned in the crypts, but so is Robert's hatred of Cersei.

This sets up GRRM's original love triangle rather nicely: Jon "Snow" Baratheon and Tyrion Lannister, mortal enemies due to their love and lust for Arya Stark, one, the hidden son of the king, the other the brother of the twincestual queen. Sounds too cheesey for GRRM, and I think that's why he reworked the parentage angle.

The alterations GRRM made as the years passed (between the 13 chapters in 1993 and the published novel in 1996) form a rather clear change direction for both the love triangle and Jon's parentage. As it would have originally played out, the reveal of twincest would have left the realm needing a king, at which point the truth of Jon's parentage would have filled that need, and, would have bound House Stark to the Iron Throne (hence the mention of Dany as only another "threat" in the 1993 letter).

The original 1993-version of the promise was likely an oath to protect Jon not from Robert, but from his new bride and the lions of the rock. Shifting the hostility toward Jon from lion, to stag, meant rewriting the love triangle, and deepening the plot by sending it back a generation from Jon/Arya/Tyrion to Rhaegar/Lyanna/Robert.

I am enjoying reading the discussion of Elia and Aegon timelines. Gotta say though, while RLJ leaves much to be desired, as the motives from every angle seem counter-intuitive, the alternatives seem to lack even motive.

It is a big 'IF,' of course, but IF Rhaegar/Lyanna/Robert displaced Jon/Arya/Tyrion, it seems even more likely Lyanna actually loved Rhaegar, as in the letter, Tyrion's affections are unrequited, but Jon's are not. This fits with things we've heard of Lyanna's character quite well: she had the crazy wolf blood, and it's easily inferred she didn't want to play along with daddy's game of betrothals - like Arya.

Ned reflects (or says to Arya? can't remember) that it was Lyanna's wolf blood that killed her, which is a really cruel, out-of-character thing to say IF she were a victim of kidnapping and rape.

Ned isn't as cold as those old kings of winter. He's the sentimental one, the quiet wolf. And as a man so vested in justice, it would seem very out of sorts with his mode of thinking to blame the victim.

Given that Robert ultimately ended up marrying a Lannister, there are more concerns about Jon's safety (assuming he's Rhaegar's son) than just what Robert himself would do; Jon may be a bastard, but in this case, he'd be a bastard of two noble lines, including the former royal dynasty.

Tywin would never allow even the slightest risk of having to eventually deal with something like the Blackfyre Rebellion, where a semi-legitimate candidate for the throne becomes a rallying point for malcontents, so it's pretty fair to assume that Jon wouldn't be safe if he was a known son of Rhaegar.

Re: 2nd paragraph... This is particularly true given the illegitimacy of Tywin's own grandchildren. I think it also points toward Robert being his original father as it sets up the enmity between the houses as having real consequences for Jon after Robert's death.

Re: 1st paragraph... Jon Arryn arranged the Lannister marriage, we know. Maybe Ned's fostering of Jon was also his idea so that Robert could be married to the lion and bind the westerlands to the new-won throne.

I've seen great certainty expressed elsewhere regarding what Varys would or would not have done during Robert's Rebellion, based on assumptions about his dedicated loyalty to the Mad King. And, like almost every other assessment of individual behavior during that time period, it is essentially overblown conjecture and wishful thinking.

Even if we thought Varys was one to put a mad king before his own interests, or the interests of "the realm" (and I don't), there just isn't enough information provided to know the specific pressures, incentives, and motivations affecting him at the time. Aerys' public appearance at the Harrenhal Tourney effectively proved the beginning of the end of his reign, and the execution of the Starks sealed his fate - it was a dramatic, high profile display of madness and incompetence before the realm, through which the king lost all power and support. For all we know (and there are certainly hints to this effect), Rhaegar, the lords paramount, Varys, even the Kingsguard themselves may have turned against Aerys before the end - at least to the extent that they were working around and in spite of him to secure the best interests of his family and kingdom.

Just a great big :agree:

Very interesting comments from GRRM in a new interview.

Martin has a warning about the upcoming season. “People are going to die who don’t die in the books, so even the book readers will be unhappy. So everybody better be on their toes. David and D.B. (David Benioff and D.B. Weiss co-creators of ‘Game Of Thrones) are even bloodier than I am.”

How many more seasons are there to this wildly popular show?

Martin replied: “ Not really certain yet. This is the fifth season, the sixth season HBO picked up last year. We will have a 7th, 8th or 9th, no one knows. They only renew one or two seasons at a time. After we do season 6, maybe we’ll get a renewal for 7th and 8th. That all depends, Television is a very changeable medium.”

Even though it’s the hottest show on TV?

“Yeah, it’s the hottest show on TV now, but will it be the hottest show on TV two years from now? Hot shows come and go and television changes, and I’ve lived through that before. I certainly hope that we get to tell the entire story. Because whatever happens with the show I’m going to finish the books, it will be seven books. But each of these books are 1500 pages long and they each have enough material in them for several seasons. I have two more books, the one I’m writing right now, ‘The Winds Of Winter,’ and after that the last book, ‘The Dream of Spring,’ so those will be the two final books. But we’re talking 3000 pages of material. How many seasons that translates too? That’s up to D.B. And David.”

Archived