Gotham TV (Vol. 2)

Quoth

I don't think he's bored in the role, I think he's just trying too hard to channel Bullock from Deadwood. Except, it worked there because Olyphant was playing the character as a raging psychopath barely keeping himself in check. McKenzie has the angry undertones without the reason (at least it hasn't been revealed).

It's a tough balance. Gordon doesn't need to be angry or stiff all the time, but needs the steel to stand up and be the only one who will do right in that corrupt city. How do you convey steel without being too stiff.

Bulluck wasn't a psychopath. Just very tightly wound.

Bulluck wasn't a psychopath. Just very tightly wound.

Both, actually. Milch puts it better:

"Bullock is trying to protect himself from his own deepest nature, because it frightens him," Milch said. "At the core of his being is a rage so powerful that it supplanted what would have ordinarily been there, which is a consciousness."

Regardless, Gordon hasn't been shown this level of character (yet?). He just comes across as stiff and angry, but at what? I'm still waiting for Heller to bring some Rome level characterization to the show. I'd love to see Bruce transform into an Octavian-level of mastermind, easily out thinking everyone around him.

I'm embarrassed at how much I love this show. It's so much fun...it's like watching real housewives. As long as I acknowledge up front that it's beyond ridiculous, I can enjoy it. This week's episode had so much ridic. going on. My fave was Barbara's "I l hate you, serial killer, NO! I love you and am sad that you're dead now!"

Actually, the whole serial killer story was just stupid. I haven't read the comics, but it seemed like filler to me. And it wasn't that interesting other than we got to see Jim overreact to a bunch of different situations, which was kinda fun.

"Detective Gordon, I've spent considerable time with your ex-girlfriend. And let me tell you this: either you back off your investigation, or I'll release her alive and unharmed, with your new address and money for a cab. This is your last warning". (Cue ominous organ music).

AHAHAHA - this cracked me up. I was actually snorting during the phone call where the serial killer announces that Barbara is safer than a ....whatever lame simile he used.

Sooo...how about that crazy Barbara? While I'm happy they stuck with her being a trainwreck, this certainly makes the prospects for Jim's future namesake offspring...interesting. Also, I find it strange how the final "cliffhanger" scene in the season finale...was shown in the previews for the episode.

I enjoyed the finale, except for the Barbara stuff, which I knew where it was going, and Selina deciding to go full criminal out of the blue. Even Fish was better, and she is probably gone.

Does Nygma have a dual personality in the comics?

I enjoyed the finale, except for the Barbara stuff, which I knew where it was going, and Selina deciding to go full criminal out of the blue. Even Fish was better, and she is probably gone.

Does Nygma have a dual personality in the comics?

No, it's more just his obsession with leaving clues. He dares everyone to catch him. The whole mental break thing was an interesting take. Riddler is just an intensely bored person.

That was one of the most ridiculous episodes of television I have ever seen. So many hilariously bad scenes/dialogue. Were they trying to go in that direction?

Mooney's awful lines and overdramatic appearances, Jim suddenly deciding that Gotham needs Falcone and doing everything to put him back in power, Maroni basically egging Fish on to kill him (wtf), Barbara finally being interesting, but in an amusingly bizarre way. Selina constantly screwing over a guy who spent episodes trying to help her out. Penguin's last scene...ha ha ha ha. Oh, I forgot Penguin's longwinded confession scene to Falcone, lol.

That was one of the most ridiculous episodes of television I have ever seen. So many hilariously bad scenes/dialogue. Were they trying to go in that direction?

Mooney's awful lines and overdramatic appearances, Jim suddenly deciding that Gotham needs Falcone and doing everything to put him back in power, Maroni basically egging Fish on to kill him (wtf), Barbara finally being interesting, but in an amusingly bizarre way. Selina constantly screwing over a guy who spent episodes trying to help her out. Penguin's last scene...ha ha ha ha. Oh, I forgot Penguin's longwinded confession scene to Falcone, lol.

So cringeworthy.

I'm the King of Gothaaaaaaaaaam!

And with that, this season comes to end--possibly forever so far as I'm concerned. I might be checking out the first episode of S2 but right now, I can't see myself sticking around.

--Mob war escalates but is it too late for me to be invested? Why is Falcone leaving Gotham now? Hadn't he decided to stay at the mid season finale? Why the change?

--Fish. Freaking. Mooney. Please GO AWAY. How did she survive getting shot in the stomach? And where did she get the new clothes and hair do and why was she even MORE annoying tonight than normal?

--Selina Kyle joins up with Fish because...."we ain't children." *sigh* The dialogue

--Baby Batman takes another step to becoming Batman. Except there is no drama or intensity to it. I know what he's about to become. We all do. There's no mystery because in so many ways, he's already Batman.

--They had all season to make Barbara interesting and they finally manage to make her something more than the character that makes me want to poke my eyes out. I like the idea that Barbara is maybe Harley Quinn or something. But, again, is it too late? Do I really care after finding her so tiresome all season?

--Still don't care about Gordon. Still wish they'd stop wasting Donal Logue.

--Penguin and Nygma are great, and I'm finding the latter to be 20000x more interesting than the former.

I guess to sum this up: it was a much better episode than what we've gotten almost all season, but I just don't know if I care at this point.

One of the funniest parts for me was when Barbara has been acting creepy all episode and is slowly building up to something bad, especially after she gives that odd, slow recounting of what happened with the Ogre...and Leslie waits until after Barbara pulls a knife on her to ask to leave, lmao.
Did she actually think Barbara would say yes? Or was she making a joke? That really cracked me up in any case.

http://observer.com/2015/05/gotham-season-finale-reference-guide-ding-dong-the-fish-is-dead/

‘Gotham’ Season Finale Reference Guide: Ding Dong the Fish is Dead
Oh, Gotham. Old friend. You almost had me. I almost fell into your sick trap. You almost, almost crafted a scene built on so much nostalgia and familiarity that it erased the fact that every scene that preceded it was filled with more holes than Don Maroni’s head.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/recaps/gotham-season-finale-recap-bat-s-all-folks-20150504

'Gotham’ Season Finale Recap: Bat’s All, Folks

It is a truth universally acknowledged that fictional mob wars are fun to watch, and this particular prequel series spent its entire first season building to a big one: a four-way face-off between wise old Don Falcone, young hothead Don Maroni, ambitious underboss Fish Mooney, and backstabbing underling the Penguin. Thus, the show's first season finale — "All Happy Families Are Alike" — is where everything goes down, and the excrement hits the air conditioning. Really, how bad could it be?

Forget it, Bruce. It's Gotham.

It was so stupid, but I can't stop watching.

But seriously; don't all forensic pathologists who aren't therapists go to people's homes for counseling/house calls for their therapy patients who also happen to be their boyfriend's ex-girlfriend? Isn't this totally normal? That sentence is as convoluted as the show. I started to work on it, but Gotham doesn't deserve my best effort.

And don't all evil killers/criminal masterminds give long-winded goodbye speeches to the people they're about to murder?

And wouldn't you climb onto a ledge and turn your back on the guy who just shot you so that you can revel in your victory?

It all makes perfect sense.

This show. Just. It was about as silly and mad as I expected. But a bit of an anticlimax all round.

Quite liked the one Riddler scene. And for some reason was convinced Penguin was going to get struck by lightning at the end there.

Oh and what happened to Tommy (Bones?) he just ran away in that fight with Jim and I don't remember him reappearing.

And I love this shows awful attempts to pay homage to better things. That Godfather bit in the hospital, :lol:

AND ANOTHER THING! Was no one else dissapointed Penguin didn't say that 'penguin eat Fish' at any point? It seems right up this shows alley.

"Okay, so what went wrong here? Well, Fish. Naturally. Who arrived back in Gotham with no explanation as to how she survived being shot in the stomach. And nothing said about why she now was dressed like freakin' Aunty Entity from Beyond Thunderdome. It's as if the writers' room thought "What movies are coming out soon? Fifty Shades? Fury Road? Let's randomly put parts of those movies on the show."

So yeah. Fish was all Mad Max with half her head shaved and bejeweled. Boobs all hangin' out. For no reason at all. And what's worse, Selina, who for no other reason than she thought Fish looked cool, joined up with Fish and f***ed up her hair too. What was the point of that? Why have her join Fish? Especially when Fish got killed at the end? Was it just done so that Selina would be in the finale? Because it made no sense and was a one-episode gig.

Oh, and the dialogue. *shudder*

"We ain't children. And it ain't morning." Granted, the actual delivery of these words didn't help, but why the "ain't"s? That's some bush-league "street talk." Then later she had to tell Gordon she was "chillin'" so as to not "blow the coolest gig ever." So bad. And why would she all of a sudden be party to Gordon's execution? None of this worked at all.

Now, remember back in the midseason finale when Falcone was absolutely resolute in not leaving Gotham? And in his conviction, he strangled the girl he thought he loved right in front of Fish? Well, he's changed his mind. He's retiring after all. All it took was Maroni taking a few shots at him and he was like "It's time to go." What a big waste of time. Sure, he and Gordon were able to bond again (recalling their moments from the pilot) over the future of Gotham, but we're to believe that this particular gang war was somehow too much for Falcone? After he'd survived being betrayed by Fish and having a mole planted in his own home? Terrible."

Lmao!

I loved it. sure it was a complete mess but what glorious mess it was. I had a lot of fun, thats never bad, right?

Certainly more enjoyable than Game of Thrones this week, which is really sad when I think about it.

I mean I hold GoT to a much higher standard but still. Both episodes were messy but only one was fun to watch for me.

I loved it. sure it was a complete mess but what glorious mess it was. I had a lot of fun, thats never bad, right?

Certainly more enjoyable than Game of Thrones this week, which is really sad when I think about it.

I mean I hold GoT to a much higher standard but still. Both episodes were messy but only one was fun to watch for me.

Please don't ever compare this mess to any HBO production. Sons of the Harpy is one of the highest rated episodes of GoT anyway.

Television always does this to fan service shows what an utter waste of potential. This is exactly what they do with Science Fiction. Oh its Batman related those fools are going to tune in regardless of the shit we serve them. For as much as I like it when it is good Gotham is essentially a CW show with better actors and publicity. For ever really cool action on this show there are 10 more that make no rational sense. The final episode was the worst at this pretty much everyone behaved in the stupidest way possible if I didn’t know any better I would say they did it on purpose.

If anyone involved in the production of this show was constructing the plot with a bare minimum of intelligence they would at least do a time jump of a few years and focus more on the Gotham PD stuff next year. Also while I certainly feel a degree of sympathy for the actor playing young Bruce Wayne they need some excuse to make the character older.

Archived