The Hierarchy of the Others

Voice

actually, thats how i see the wall coming down, and the Others to walk through it. that, or if its The Night's King, he's a member and can lead them through the gate

From an apocalyptic meteorite? Is that how they mine the dragonsteel? (I like hiw I'm asking you as if you know for sure)

I think the main ingredient in any sword is steel - the other elements are added to the steel to make a magical alloy of some kind. That's what I am seeing.

You might consider taking a glance at the first two essays in my signature, astronomy of planetos 1 and 2. Comets are covered in very great detail. :)

I know, Lucifer, I clicked on the link but it's just that it's....soooo looong...when you mentioned posting part 3 I was going to ask if you could make them into a compendium of smaller posts for the little kids like me, but I didn't want to hurt your feelings!

From an apocalyptic meteorite? Is that how they mine the dragonsteel? (I like hiw I'm asking you as if you know for sure)

oh i do. you were correct in assuming so ;)

i believe it's how dawn was forged, was it not?

are we assuming dragonsteel = valyrian steel? if thats the case it's just reworked steel with valyrian blood and blood incantations (blood magicked warding) while working the steel.

Well I broke each "Part" into sub sections, so you can just take those one at a time of you like. They all build up a cohesive set of ideas that reinforce eachother. I appreciate that it is very long, it's just a big topic. And I need to show lots of evidence.

i actually like that idea. the red comet crashes through the wall, this is the only way i can realistically see the wall coming down. it crashes, leaving a huge gape int he middle. like a catapult boulder crashing through a gate

I think the main ingredient in any sword is steel - the other elements are added to the steel to make a magical alloy of some kind. That's what I am seeing.

Or...obsidian is the dark ripple!!! I thought there was iron as well as unearthly elements in meteorites, but I have to check my old college textbook on the matter, which I'm not much inclined to do.

Poor VotFM, he's going to find out we highjacked his thread when he comes back. I sent him a PM just now to tease him about his shameless plugging of his theory threads...I see he's not the only one!!! :lol:

ETA: the obsidian reference was for Blazefemur.

Or...obsidian is the dark ripple!!! I thought there was iron as well as unearthly elements in meteorites, but I have to check my old college textbook on the matter, which I'm not much inclined to do.

Poor VotFM, he's going to find out we highjacked his thread when he comes back. I sent him a PM just now to tease him about his shameless plugging of his theory threads...I see he's not the only one!!! :lol:

dark ripples, in the lannister post-ice blades? those are red ripples, clearly valyrian blood worked into the steel. the smith specifically said he was one of the last to know the secrets of forging valyrian steel from valyria. he himself, more than likely has valyrian blood to power and spellwork the blades

Yes, you really do need to write a careful essay with cited sources to be taken seriously around here, some of the fans are quite brutal! Maybe I'll try a couple paragraphs before bedtime every day sory of thing.

LmL, my sister posited at lunch today that GRRM may have a secret handle on this board and post spoilers to fans in disguise as the kind of thread you worked on!

Yes, I tend to go with valyrian steel=dragonsteel. Are you sure they were red, not black?

As for wall exploding, Black Crow thinks it will dissolve into a mist, but I forgot his reasoning. We need the wall standing long enough to find out why it's so high (for the ice spiders).

ETA: he doesn't know how to create Valyrian steel, just work with it.

Yes, you really do need to write a careful essay with cited sources to be taken seriously around here, some of the fans are quite brutal! Maybe I'll try a couple paragraphs before bedtime every day sory of thing.

Yes, I tend to go with valyrian steel=dragonsteel. Are you sure they were red, not black?

As for wall exploding, Black Crow thinks it will dissolve into a mist, but I forgot his reasoning. We need the wall standing long enough to find out why it's so high (for the ice spiders).

if we're really going to get ice spiders, and i certainly hope we do, then yeah the wall still being up would be their time to shine. further, i hope they spit ice webbing and can encase things in strands of sticky ice.

yeah the blades were dark, but the ripples were crimson red. i definitely attribute it to the possibility of working valyrian blood and blood incantations to reworking the steel.

curious as to how the wall would dissolve, actually.

Interesting. I've seen mentions of a difference between the Others and the White Walkers before, but no one has ever explained what they think that difference is. For the most part I thought it was established that White Walkers is just another term for Others, but there is certainly room for a different take. I'll come back for an in-depth re-read and give you some more thoughts.

Yeah same here, I thought White Walkers and Others were interchangeable and there was only a hierarchy of two (WW and Wights) but interesting to know it's three

Thanks for the thread

Spider Mounts might be weird on the show, ala Rabbit Sleigh in Hobbit films but it makes sense and spiders are more nimble than other animals and they would actually be quite great in Ice/Snow conditions and in the books

Good to have clarity

So Wights are killed by Fire

White Walkers are killed by Magical Dragonglass

And presumably Others can only killed by Sword of the Morning currently in the possession of the Daynes (Sword of the Morning, morning follows long night etc)

Looking forward to Winds of Winter

Rest of the thread is making for interesting reading, the idea of that red comet not just being a sign but hitting Planetos and smashing the Wall is quite something

I got thinking, is NK still technically a member of the Night's Watch (same question goes for Bloodraven...)

Because I was curious is they could actually still use that Weir Door at the Night Fort

The splitting of Ned's sword and the attempt to color it is a huge, huge clue about its nature. I plan to dissect that one pretty heavily. There are multiple anomalies - the fact that there are two layers; the fact that one does not take ANY coloring; the fact that the other takes the coloring, but "drinks the sun" from it and darkens it. All three of those things are unusual for Valyrian steel.

Very interesting Op and thread.

Not sure if I want to see ice spiders in this saga, there is already enough fantastical elements for me - but, who knows.

Re using GRRMs letter as a reference point, I think without knowing what the redacted text read, it's still too elusive. The redacted text could have said something like - the only way the Starks can reclaim the North is during the Long Night, with the help of the Others who remember the Starks of old - we just don't know. Also, in the letter, GRRM uses others, not Others, so the whole capitalisation thing seems broken before it began - the Op may be more of a grammar Nazi than GRRM :D

Re canon, I don't believe it exists with franchises. As soon as ASoIaF was turned into the GoTs franchise, making statements or arguing about canon becomes pointless, as franchise matters more.

The splitting of Ned's sword and the attempt to color it is a huge, huge clue about its nature. I plan to dissect that one pretty heavily. There are multiple anomalies - the fact that there are two layers; the fact that one does not take ANY coloring; the fact that the other takes the coloring, but "drinks the sun" from it and darkens it. All three of those things are unusual for Valyrian steel.

I always felt it would be significant that Ice was broken/split, maybe even bad luck for the Lannisters. Look what already happened to Tywin- he gave the order, Joffrey- got it as a gift; just waiting on Brienne and Jamie now :(. I was hoping by the end, Ice would be reunited again.

Indeed. Not canonical but would seem to point toward a clear hierarchy. I'm of the mind LH=NK, but that's Lord Martin's thread lol

Personally I accepted the idea this was an Easter Egg, eg there is 12 figures in black behind the NK to refer to him being the 13th LC who wear black

As for this thread, not sure if there's any relevance he appears to be freshly clothed while the WW etc are generally wearing armour where all but the mineral elements are decayed, either they killed those people off or they were transformed from that ancient civilisation

Just out of curiosity, is there a possibility that the Others class are actually all female as part of a Matriarchical structure and then the White Walkers beneath them are a form of all-male 'Middle Class' who go about doing their bidding and Wights being the Zombie underclass

Personally I accepted the idea this was an Easter Egg, eg there is 12 figures in black behind the NK to refer to him being the 13th LC who wear black

As for this thread, not sure if there's any relevance he appears to be freshly clothed while the WW etc are generally wearing armour where all but the mineral elements are decayed, either they killed those people off or they were transformed from that ancient civilisation

Just out of curiosity, is there a possibility that the Others class are actually all female as part of a Matriarchical structure and then the White Walkers beneath them are a form of all-male 'Middle Class' who go about doing their bidding and Wights being the Zombie underclass

for all intents and purposes (and i already know im going to be getting a bunch of hate for it), they kidnap baby boys, is what we've witnessed. the book doesnt go into genders, however on the show, all Others are male. Combine witht he fact we see them take only males, ive theorized there's no such thing as a female Other. This INCLUDES the night's queen (i theorize the watch made her up to villainize 13th lord commander stark)

my little easter egg:

they're called First

Men

Archived