Comics XI: Modok's 11

Sci-2

Bendis will sadly be Marvel's MVP for a long time- he has the ability of doing half a dozen issues per month at least. The problem is that he doesn't have the ability to go half a dozen GOOD issues.

At least he's busy making his mark on characters I'm not fussed about being Bendised. Endless pages of 9 panel Stark heads in armour followed by endless panels of Stark in a tuxedo at parties. Talking.

Spider-man is fine as Miles Morales is his own toy and it's far better than him getting Peter Parker.

Him leaving X-men would be welcome news if there had been some proper indication of what the hell is happening with the X-franchise in its continued quest to be second place to the Inhumans. I guess eventually all the X-men of importance will turn out to be Inhuman (or at least latent inhunans). Any of them having secondary mutations at any point seem to be a shoe-horn for that.

EDIT: you make an interesting point RE his ouput and quality. I think he was a lot better when handling less books. That and I think he's better when not guiding an entire Franchise. It explains why daredevil and ultimate spidey are pretty good from him

Bought the first two trades of Prophet.

Wow this is a great comic, and one of the more interesting scifi stories I've encountered.

I was really impressed with the first volume. I'm not sure why I haven't got the others yet? I think i was waiting for the whole thing to be in trade but it probably is by now.

EDIT: you make an interesting point RE his ouput and quality. I think he was a lot better when handling less books. That and I think he's better when not guiding an entire Franchise. It explains why daredevil and ultimate spidey are pretty good from him

I actually think USM is a terribly overrated book that's been coasting on nostalgia because 1) it started coming out when the Spidey franchise was in genuinely dire shape and was a breath of fresh air then 2) Bendis has only comparatively recently had to try to think up his own material for it, before he was drawing from the incredibly rich vein of all the Peter Parker material that had come before, so he could pick, choose, smooth out, and decompress.  Now, with a Spidey who isn't Peter Parker, what has he made?  One solid supporting cast member in Ganke, a really neat dynamic with Miles' uncle as the Prowler who he killed off, yet another dead mother, and tons of ass-pull VENOM STING wins.  Bleh.

I expect the next volume of Bendis GotG to be as fully godawful as the current one has been.  Sorry.  I don't like Bendis.

My upcoming Marvel books to watch are not much but mostly things from Al Ewing, who's a veteran of 2000AD and a real wizard at using continuity smartly.  It's seriously disappointing to see Marvel not pulling in the kind of new blood on either writing or art that DC has recently.

I actually think USM is a terribly overrated book that's been coasting on nostalgia because 1) it started coming out when the Spidey franchise was in genuinely dire shape and was a breath of fresh air then 2) Bendis has only comparatively recently had to try to think up his own material for it, before he was drawing from the incredibly rich vein of all the Peter Parker material that had come before, so he could pick, choose, smooth out, and decompress.  Now, with a Spidey who isn't Peter Parker, what has he made?  One solid supporting cast member in Ganke, a really neat dynamic with Miles' uncle as the Prowler who he killed off, yet another dead mother, and tons of ass-pull VENOM STING wins.  Bleh.

I expect the next volume of Bendis GotG to be as fully godawful as the current one has been.  Sorry.  I don't like Bendis.

My upcoming Marvel books to watch are not much but mostly things from Al Ewing, who's a veteran of 2000AD and a real wizard at using continuity smartly.  It's seriously disappointing to see Marvel not pulling in the kind of new blood on either writing or art that DC has recently.

Agreed with the last paragraph. DC is doing some great things right now in my opinion. Martian Manhunter is particularly super interesting, as is Constantine The Hellblazer. Batman feels nice and fresh, as does Detective although I'm pretty bummed about Manapul and Buccelatto's departure. Interested to see who they bring on there. Also excited for the return of Eternal.

Marvel just seems to be throwing shit against the wall and seeing if any of it sticks with their post-SW stuff. I'm excited for very little of it, especially the new female Blade. You couldn't just come up with a new name for a new character? What is with just turning every name into a mantle that's past down or taken over by someone new?

Agreed with the last paragraph. DC is doing some great things right now in my opinion. Martian Manhunter is particularly super interesting, as is Constantine The Hellblazer. Batman feels nice and fresh, as does Detective although I'm pretty bummed about Manapul and Buccelatto's departure. Interested to see who they bring on there. Also excited for the return of Eternal.

Marvel just seems to be throwing shit against the wall and seeing if any of it sticks with their post-SW stuff. I'm excited for very little of it, especially the new female Blade. You couldn't just come up with a new name for a new character? What is with just turning every name into a mantle that's past down or taken over by someone new?

I think Tomasi is taking over for Manabooch; Manapul himself has some srs bzns work coming out such as Aquaman: Year One, but I hope Booch solo lands on something too because frankly, he's the stronger writer of the two.

It's nice to see DC taking the creative high road given they are usually more conservative. I just hope it translates to sales.

Marvel's approach is pretty weak. Their idea of an idea is sadly change the gender/ethnicity of a character. It's not enough, there needs to be a concept other than that as you don't pitch a comic as "it's about a white guy". I certainly hope that's not how things are pitched. But that's how it appears. The new Blade series while I appreciate the "no vampires" spin just highlighted a lack of imagination when the reason was "vampires aren't scary anymore". Maybe the books will all turn out to be as fresh as Ms Marvel but we'll have to wait and see - the hooks aren't working on me though

Oh, for fucks sake!

I had no idea they where doing that. The whole thing just sounds incredibly unoriginal.

Oh, for fucks sake!

I had no idea they where doing that. The whole thing just sounds incredibly unoriginal.

It's the only trick they know right now.

Hey, remember how you guys have been asking us to bring Blade back? Welp, here's his daughter, and now her name is Blade, yeah! Remember when you guys wanted that?

Marvel's future stuff looks so creatively bankrupt, and it's a shame because Hickman's Secret Wars has been fantastic so far, and if the world that's emerging from this is the one where all these announced titles exist, I don't want it.

Even their Doctor Strange title, who people have been waiting for for a long time just sounds tame and boring. Doctor Strange being a more grounded "paranormal investigator" doesn't interest me in the least. I really wanted a Sandman-esque title and it just doesn't sound like we're getting anything that interesting.

Not to mention that it seems like Marvel employs like 6 writers right now and they're creating a "good-ole boys club" whereas DC is bringing in a ton of new writers and artists with new ideas.

It's nice to see DC taking the creative high road given they are usually more conservative. I just hope it translates to sales.

Marvel's approach is pretty weak. Their idea of an idea is sadly change the gender/ethnicity of a character. It's not enough, there needs to be a concept other than that as you don't pitch a comic as "it's about a white guy". I certainly hope that's not how things are pitched. But that's how it appears. The new Blade series while I appreciate the "no vampires" spin just highlighted a lack of imagination when the reason was "vampires aren't scary anymore". Maybe the books will all turn out to be as fresh as Ms Marvel but we'll have to wait and see - the hooks aren't working on me though

Exactly. Their whole idea of diversity is:

a- Take established names and put heroes of different genders and ethnicity in them;

b- Put all the minorities together in one book- right now, it's one for females (A-Force) and one for black people (Mighty Avengers/ Ultimates). 

The problems that come from this are:

a- Eventually, the original character will always return to the mantle, and the other one will be a footnote, regardless of ethnicity (see John Walker as Cap, and whoever was Thor in the 80's);

b- The minorities being kept away from the main books where the main action happens means they'll become irrelevant- would Black Panther be more important to the MU in the last few years if he was on MA/Ultimates or in New Avengers? Or look at what happened with Emma Frost or even Magik, before secondary or tertiary characters that became very important in the X-men because they were in the flagship rather than the secondary books. 

The teams where it's all female or all one ethnicity do strike me as bordering on offensive. And by making them the B team it's compounded. Then again "x-men" got a lot of attnetion just for having a female cast but look how that title wound up.

I think Ms Marvel is the best approach they've had. Ok, she's stolen another characters name but she is a completely different character and is more SPider-man in terms of operation. That's a better way to do things.

Hey! 

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/Beta_Ray_Bill_zpsfdeat7ut.jpg.html

I have a name, ya know!

/How quickly people forget. The best Thor run ever, as far as I'm concerned.

Beta Ray Bill was never Thor. You're the one that is forgetting things. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderstrike_(Eric_Masterson)

Beta Ray Bill was never Thor. You're the one that is forgetting things. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderstrike_(Eric_Masterson)

You said 80's. Masterson wasn't around until the 90's. And while Bill may not have taken the mantle of Thor, he was essentially an alien Thor with all the same powers. He stepped in for Thor after Loki turned him into a toad anyways.

I guess in the 80s people were clamoring for more inclusive horse alien comics?

I think I'll check out Wolf #1 today. Reviews are good and Image is usually worth a punt on their new comics. Although I should probably be sensible and wait for the cheap trade.

So speaking of all girl teams and the like, I've been enjoying Rat Queens by Kurtis Wiebe. Not a cape book though. It's basically a Fantasy/Dungeons and Dragons setting with an all female group of adventurer/mercs. Nothing earth shattering, but fun and entertaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Queens

So speaking of all girl teams and the like, I've been enjoying Rat Queens by Kurtis Wiebe. Not a cape book though. It's basically a Fantasy/Dungeons and Dragons setting with an all female group of adventurer/mercs. Nothing earth shattering, but fun and entertaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_Queens

Hasn't it recently been optioned for a tv/film?

I think the difference with Rat Queens is that it was an original property. It'd be more cynical if this was a relaunch of "Dungeons and Dragons" and the hook was "female cast". I think BKV's next book is an all female "team" as well although I guess he's quite well known for his female centric books one of which they was even an organic explanation for :P

It's sort of how I thought "birds of prey" was fine as a female team comic as it wasn't a female version of a bat-squad because they don't have a bat-team book and most of the "Batmen" seem to be loners unless on a superteam?

Hasn't it recently been optioned for a tv/film?

I think the difference with Rat Queens is that it was an original property. It'd be more cynical if this was a relaunch of "Dungeons and Dragons" and the hook was "female cast". I think BKV's next book is an all female "team" as well although I guess he's quite well known for his female centric books one of which they was even an organic explanation for :P

It's sort of how I thought "birds of prey" was fine as a female team comic as it wasn't a female version of a bat-squad because they don't have a bat-team book and most of the "Batmen" seem to be loners unless on a superteam?

An animated series, I believe. Yeah I just brought it up because you guys were talking about all female teams. You're right, this doesn't have any of that forced baggage. Solid stuff, check it out.

Cyborg #1 was mentioned here a couple of times, so I gave it a try and was not disappointed. Also, I found a copy of Prez #2. Again, this book offered some high quality satire of American government.

Archived