Comics XI: Modok's 11

Sci-2

Yeah, pretty much. Karnak looks interesting because of Ellis,  so I'll read his 6-12 issues, I've read good things from NA enough to give it a try, the premise for Vision is very sci-fi and can work, but as for the rest, nah.

Looks like the best things from Marvel will come from the secondary books, but still, it's probably the least interesting line-up since the 90's for me.

The main problem seems to be a lack of new ideas, apart from the books I mentioned: I mean, read the solicit for EXM #3:

"• Mutantkind is teetering on the brink of extinction and the X-MEN are in dire straits!
• STORM and ICEMAN defend the last remaining mutants from a demonic attack!
• The world’s newest mutant discovers she has a terrifying power!
• And OLD MAN LOGAN and JEAN GREY meet for the first time…"

Read that shit out loud and try not to laugh. All you need is "Professor Xavier loses the use of his legs again" and you're set.

I think there's even a HATED AND FEARED! line in one of the X-solicits.

Oh, here we go:

ALL-NEW X-MEN #1 & 2
DENNIS HOPELESS (w) • MARK BAGLEY (a/C)
Hated and feared more than ever, the world is a dangerous place for mutants. As the few remaining X-MEN retreat into seclusion, a handful of mutant teenagers refuse to allow their destiny to be decided for them. CYCLOPS. BEAST. ICEMAN. ANGEL. THE ALL-NEW WOLVERINE. KID APOCALYPSE. OYA. Stepping out of the shadows of their predecessors, the ALL-NEW X-MEN are striking out on their own, determined to write their own futures!

I would love to know what Remender was going to do before he walked; I'm sure it would have been more inventive than THIS, at least.

I don't know that I'll be reading anything from All-New Marvel. I'm definitely tempted to check out Karnak and maybe Doctor Strange, but that's literally it. I would have checked out Daredevil too because he's my favorite Marvel character, but all the changes they've made to him just sound awful, so I'm skipping out on that one.

Image just has so many great books going right now and I want to read all of them, so Marvel's getting the shit end of my reading stick . DC has jumped into my #2 spot with Batman, Omega Men, Martian Manhunter, and Cyborg all being good to great.

I'll enjoy the Secret Wars stuff while it lasts, but I'm pretty much done with Marvel after that.

I don't know that I'll be reading anything from All-New Marvel. I'm definitely tempted to check out Karnak and maybe Doctor Strange, but that's literally it. I would have checked out Daredevil too because he's my favorite Marvel character, but all the changes they've made to him just sound awful, so I'm skipping out on that one.

Image just has so many great books going right now and I want to read all of them, so Marvel's getting the shit end of my reading stick . DC has jumped into my #2 spot with Batman, Omega Men, Martian Manhunter, and Cyborg all being good to great.

I'll enjoy the Secret Wars stuff while it lasts, but I'm pretty much done with Marvel after that.

Well, the good thing about this topic is that you can always find recommendations so you don't have to buy anything that didn't catch your eye; sadly, unlike with films, reviewers don't tend to be useful because they are too lenient most of the time, consequence of a handful of companies dominating the market.

I'll only be picking up for sure from the titles announced so far by Marvel Karnak, Vision and NA, and I'm still undecided on 3 or 4 at most.

Anyone following moon knight?

Jeez it's pretty weird and religious yet arguing with god and throwing moon shaped boomerangs into thugs faces...

The boogey man issue was spooky...even after the big guns come out. That was issue 15.

Marvel's main problem seems to be movie related- Perlmutter's pettiness and Feige's film plans basically dictating what the line can or can't do.

For all it's problems, Warner seems to rarely interfere in comics stories- the only time I remember hearing about it was when Grant Morrison allegedly wanted to turn Bruce Wayne into one of the New Gods and they put a stop into that, but even that was not confirmed (although seems to be the kind of thing Morrison would want to do).

Secret Wars Civil War #3

Just continues to be such a crazy book in the best way possible. This is so much better than the original Civil War story based solely on its What If... nature. Nobody feels oddly crammed into roles they would never otherwise play, because this isn't a story that's shoved into continuity, and is allowed to just be bonkers. Iron Man sentinels are such a logical idea in a story like this, and Spider-Man using his webbing to cause one of the sentinels to shoot itself in the face was awesome. I still find it weird that Peter Parker is basically The Falcon in this story though. Seeing him fly around with mechanical wings makes me wonder why he's still called Spider-Man.

Cyborg #2

I have never read anything with Cyborg in it before. I don't read Justice League and he's never popped up in Batman which is the only other thing outside of Omega Men and Constantine The Hellblazer that I read from DC. That being said, I think I love this book. The art is fantastic and I can't wait for the huge action set-pieces to come further along in this story arc. My first impression of Victor Stone is that he's basically DC's Iron Man, except even cooler because he can just use his brain to manifest weapons from his armor, which is one of the coolest fucking things ever. Excited to see that on the big screen one day.

Batman Detective Comics #43

One more issue until Buccelatto peaces out, which really sucks and will be the first time that I drop this title in a long time. I have a feeling that I would have enjoyed this arc a lot more if Manapul had stuck it out through these last couple issues instead of only doing the covers. As it stands, this book has just done nothing for me since the Anarky plot ended. I feel like the story is still probably good, it's just that I don't care about it anymore. It might have a lot to do with RoboJimBat taking over. While Jim Gordon Batman is great in the hands of Snyder's main Batman title, I don't think it has translated over as well to the Detective book.

Anyone following moon knight?

Jeez it's pretty weird and religious yet arguing with god and throwing moon shaped boomerangs into thugs faces...

The boogey man issue was spooky...even after the big guns come out. That was issue 15.

Callan are you talking about the recent Moonknight or the relaunch stuff?

Yeah, pretty much. Karnak looks interesting because of Ellis,  so I'll read his 6-12 issues,

He'd have to be particularly focused to last more than 6 issues. He's been MArvel's relaunch/rebrandin guy for a while but unlike Waid doesn't stay beyond the first TPB

Meanwhile, Daredevil has his secret identity again, undoing 15 years of character development (also, is a prosecutor, because there's no legal problem there- and the guy writing that book is a lawyer),

I hope it didn't involve him making a deal with the devil (which while still a lazy fixit, would have at least had some resonance with Matt's character)

Batman Detective Comics #43

It might have a lot to do with RoboJimBat taking over. While Jim Gordon Batman is great in the hands of Snyder's main Batman title, I don't think it has translated over as well to the Detective book.

It's a shame they didn't give the batbooks a chance to take advantage of the loose continuity at DC these days where Det Comics could have continued doing standard Batman. I guess the writer wanted to have a go or DC insisted on the change. I guess most Detective readers are Batman ones too and they don't want to risk people thinking it's "disposable/non-essential"

What I would have loved to see DC do for this book is drop the Batman from the title and have it just become a Harvey Bullock-Renee Montoya focused book. Basically I just REALLY want to see Gotham Central make a comeback because it's one of my favorite books of all time.

The next story arc has RoboJimBat join and work with the Justice League, which is the complete opposite of what Detective Comics is supposed to be and is the reason I'm dropping it. I've always enjoy Detective for the smaller more investigative stories, and now it's going bigger than the main Batman book.

What I would have loved to see DC do for this book is drop the Batman from the title and have it just become a Harvey Bullock-Renee Montoya focused book. Basically I just REALLY want to see Gotham Central make a comeback because it's one of my favorite books of all time.

The next story arc has RoboJimBat join and work with the Justice League, which is the complete opposite of what Detective Comics is supposed to be and is the reason I'm dropping it. I've always enjoy Detective for the smaller more investigative stories, and now it's going bigger than the main Batman book.

It is nice when there's at least one Batbook that has him trying to be the world's greatest detective.

I'm also surprised a more Gotham Central style book hasn't been launched given the inreased visibility from "Gotham". You'd think a book following those characters could work.

I. don't. know?

Everything marvel started from issue one again and I've sort of trailed it from there - that makes it recent to me. I'm confused now?

Welcome to comics! You're supposed to be confused. Don't worry there'll be another relaunch in a few months.

Take bets now on 1) how many issues Greg Weisman will get of 'Starbrand and Nightmask', a college buddy-comedy with past cast members from Spectacular Spider-Man (the late beloved cartoon)

2) how much ridiculous JUST AS PLANNED will be involved

3) who gets announced as gay after it's cancelled

4) how many plotlines will be left dangling when it's cancelled

Take bets now on 1) how many issues Greg Weisman will get of 'Starbrand and Nightmask', a college buddy-comedy with past cast members from Spectacular Spider-Man (the late beloved cartoon)

2) how much ridiculous JUST AS PLANNED will be involved

3) who gets announced as gay after it's cancelled

4) how many plotlines will be left dangling when it's cancelled

Probably not long if the reports about DCs sales post June rebranding. Although Bleeding cool had an interesting article suggesting that while DCsales are down they are actually diversifying their readership from new sources. Long term that has to be more sustainable than the Marvel ouroborus model.

It won't sell well, but then again Inhumans doesn't sell and Marvel launched a dozen spin-offs...

Yeah but I'm sure every kid who buys a copy lends it to everyone in class? I bet illegal download numbers are low for Inhumans too. To Marvel's credit it does show they are willing to push a product - I remember the days when folked complained that all of Marvel's marketing went into selling X-titles and spidey.

I'm fascinated to see what the fallout on Ike Perlmutter being sidelined from the Marvel movies will be. It might be good news for the X-books and FF or it might be that he doesn't publish any marvel film titles and just sticks to TV characters. All the rumours suggest he's single-minded over such things.

Probably not long if the reports about DCs sales post June rebranding. Although Bleeding cool had an interesting article suggesting that while DCsales are down they are actually diversifying their readership from new sources. Long term that has to be more sustainable than the Marvel ouroborus model.

Ummm, Starbrand and Nightmask is a Marvel title.  They're two of the New Universe characters who showed up in Hickman's Avengers run; notably Starbrand's introduction arc is where a number of people went "what the hell?" about the tone the book was taking.

Really light week for me again, all I picked up was Lazarus #19 & We Stand on Guard #3.

Lazarus was ok, pretty much a set up issue. WSOG continues to impress me in the art department, still not sure about the book as a whole though. Being an American myself I'm not crazy about the Americans being painted as ruthless and evil. Kind of making it hard for me to get into it.

Archived