Comics XI: Modok's 11

Sci-2

Not much choice this week except for Lazarus #18, no?

Yeah, pretty light week for me. Just got Lazarus and Sex Criminals.

Does anyone know when Marvel's new lineup starts? I can't wait for the shakeup with the X books. Last week's issue of Uncanny was just terrible. A whole issue devoted to Goldballs? Really? I'm looking foward to see what Jeff Lemire does with the main book, Bunn's book having Fantomex is intriguing to me too.

So according to Axel Alonso, discussing the new Hercules ongoing, Herc - a character who in Marvel canon has been hinted at as being bisexual and who, in actual myth, is recorded as having had many male lovers - is now straight.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/axel-in-charge-course-correcting-diversity-problems-bendis-iron-man-expansion

Also, a lot of fans have been curious if the character's sexuality -- it's been strongly suggested Hercules is bisexual, and in "X-Treme X-Men" an alternate Hercules was in a relationship with Wolverine -- will play a part in the series. Is there any insight you can provide at this point?

Alonso: Hercules and James Howlett's relationship in "X-Treme X-Men" took place in a unique alternate universe, similar to how Colossus was gay in the Ultimate Universe, but is straight in the 616. Same goes for Hercules here.

[Editor's note: Marvel declined a follow-up question on this subject.]

What makes it even better is that this is from an interview specifically about diversity in Marvel comics. There's absolutely nothing to be gained by closing off that possibility: he could have left it open while making it clear that it wouldn't be a focus of the series, for example. But no. He had to specifically state that Herc was straight. And he then declines a follow-up question: he shuts the conversation down.

Nice work promoting diversity there, Axel.

But no. He had to specifically state that Herc was straight. And he then declines a follow-up question: he shuts the conversation down.

Nice work promoting diversity there, Axel.

The interviewer should've come back with this old gem...

http://s1336.photobucket.com/user/Lumpy67/media/cool-story-bro-500x499_zpslv81nkig.jpg.html

What's interesting is that CBR felt obliged to note that the follow-up had been asked and declined. That suggests they want to make clear they didn't just sit back and say 'oh, OK'. Which in turn suggests they recognise how bad that answer was.

What's interesting is that CBR felt obliged to note that the follow-up had been asked and declined. That suggests they want to make clear they didn't just sit back and say 'oh, OK'. Which in turn suggests they recognise how bad that answer was.

Yeah, yeah, which is another sign of how bad the whole thing is: a place where they give him softball questions every week felt the need to say "Hey, we know it's a stupid answer, but we tried."

Yeah, yeah, which is another sign of how bad the whole thing is: a place where they give him softball questions every week felt the need to say "Hey, we know it's a stupid answer, but we tried."

It is a bit of a shame that they preach diversity and then closet characters where as mentioned both the comic and mythological version were bisexual.

It's ok though, I'm sure if there's enough of a fuss about it, Marvel will address the issue by doing a relaunch in 18 months where the high concept is "let's replace Spider-man with a gay character, etc, etc" and "an X-men team where all the members are gay". Because that's how you make things "inclusive" according to Marvel...

It is a bit of a shame that they preach diversity and then closet characters where as mentioned both the comic and mythological version were bisexual.

It's ok though, I'm sure if there's enough of a fuss about it, Marvel will address the issue by doing a relaunch in 18 months where the high concept is "let's replace Spider-man with a gay character, etc, etc" and "an X-men team where all the members are gay". Because that's how you make things "inclusive" according to Marvel...

I think it's a dumb and short-sighted choice at best because it doesn't help anything and forecloses a lot, but I gotta say the argument from mythology gets my classicist's stink-eye, because I really don't think Marvel is going to depict an erastes/eromenos relationship in comics (although Pak, bless his heart in the good way, made some cracks about it).

Sorry to break topic, but I have some questions:

So I recently finished the Deadpool saga of the ''Marvel Now!'' phase, which I mostly enjoyed quite a lot. However, I found the ending to be more than a little confusing, and frustrating. Clearly there is a relevant overarching plot in the Marvel Now! series, so my question is what arc should I read to be able to understand this best? Also, is it worth it (I mean, if I have to read every comic in the series it's going to cost me a looot)?

Thanks in advance. 

ETA: Is the Marvel Now! Universe self contained, or is it contiguous with Secret Wars etc. ?

Marvel NOW! is just one of the periodic rebrandings for "shit we're putting out right now" that they put on things.  It's all the same universe unless explicitly labeled otherwise, like 'Ultimate'.

I think it's a dumb and short-sighted choice at best because it doesn't help anything and forecloses a lot, but I gotta say the argument from mythology gets my classicist's stink-eye, because I really don't think Marvel is going to depict an erastes/eromenos relationship in comics (although Pak, bless his heart in the good way, made some cracks about it).

I also got the impression Thor and Hyperion were very cute together during Hickman's run on Avengers. Although it may have been more to the artist playing around with it (think it was Opena at the time or whoever drew the alien planet issues).

ETA: Is the Marvel Now! Universe self contained, or is it contiguous with Secret Wars etc. ?

What Valkyrie said although "self-contained" is a tricky term for Marvel comics. They don't cross over with DC or image titles but in general they are a continuous event laden entity where they all feed into and off one another. If you mean a title you can read on its own there's a handful - Hawkeye, Superior foes, Daredevil (for the most part) and Amazing Soider-man (although that fell apart with spider-verse which is actually still good but not self-contained). If you mean single issue stories then you are probably stuck with Silver Surfer (from the issues I've read) and Fraction's Hawkeye (of which there've been about 2 issues in the last year).

I guess Deadpool is self-contained but I've never read any of the recent books so it's probably not very indicative of Marvel as a whole. I'd tread lightly going into it. If you have a good library try a few trades of Avengers, All new X-men, and some of the ones I mentioned above and see what fits. Superior Spider-man  is worth a shot and is a self contained story.

If it's the 4th wall wackiness of Deadpool you enjoy then DC's Harley Quinn is supposed to be very similar and I think DC have a few "self-contained" or "continuity-light" books that have recently started.  I can't vouch for them personally but they might be worth a shot?

I also got the impression Thor and Hyperion were very cute together during Hickman's run on Avengers. Although it may have been more to the artist playing around with it (think it was Opena at the time or whoever drew the alien planet issues).

What Valkyrie said although "self-contained" is a tricky term for Marvel comics. They don't cross over with DC or image titles but in general they are a continuous event laden entity where they all feed into and off one another. If you mean a title you can read on its own there's a handful - Hawkeye, Superior foes, Daredevil (for the most part) and Amazing Soider-man (although that fell apart with spider-verse which is actually still good but not self-contained). If you mean single issue stories then you are probably stuck with Silver Surfer (from the issues I've read) and Fraction's Hawkeye (of which there've been about 2 issues in the last year).

I guess Deadpool is self-contained but I've never read any of the recent books so it's probably not very indicative of Marvel as a whole. I'd tread lightly going into it. If you have a good library try a few trades of Avengers, All new X-men, and some of the ones I mentioned above and see what fits. Superior Spider-man  is worth a shot and is a self contained story.

If it's the 4th wall wackiness of Deadpool you enjoy then DC's Harley Quinn is supposed to be very similar and I think DC have a few "self-contained" or "continuity-light" books that have recently started.  I can't vouch for them personally but they might be worth a shot?

If you want to get into current Deadpool the place to start is at the #1 issue by Posehn and Duggan, and read the run from there.  It's pretty self-contained as well, and is masterful at balancing arcs with running plot-threads.  Just start at #1.  The 'inventory' issues are funnier if you know your Marvel History, but if you can't appreciate Luke Cage and Danny Rand teaming up with Deadpool to fight The White Man, it's just not the book for you.

Man, is anyone reading DC's The Omega Men? What an insanely good first two issues, and I know absolutely nothing about these guys or the guy they revive (other than his name) and I still loved them and it might be DC's best book right now. I love this new "loose continuity" they're implementing and just letting their creators tell interesting stories without having to have a bunch of crossover and connectivity.

So excited for #3 tomorrow, it'll be the first thing I read. The art is gorgeous and the story is just unpredictable and brutal. Love that this will get at least 12 issues, but DC needs to start promoting this thing a little more and get more readers to jump on so it can go even longer, assuming the creators want it to.

That's disappointing. Thanks though, I'll check out some of the recommendations. Spiderman and Harley-Quinn score high on my list of interesting superheroes.

Superior Spider-man is great if you're wanting a different spin on Spidey. It feeds into the more recent Amazing run but if you are more of a Parker purist "amazing" works as a jump on point.

Man, is anyone reading DC's The Omega Men? What an insanely good first two issues, and I know absolutely nothing about these guys or the guy they revive (other than his name) and I still loved them and it might be DC's best book right now. I love this new "loose continuity" they're implementing and just letting their creators tell interesting stories without having to have a bunch of crossover and connectivity.

So excited for #3 tomorrow, it'll be the first thing I read. The art is gorgeous and the story is just unpredictable and brutal. Love that this will get at least 12 issues, but DC needs to start promoting this thing a little more and get more readers to jump on so it can go even longer, assuming the creators want it to.

I'll try and check it out based on your comments - might trade it. I feel a bit bad about applauding DC for their new approach yet not buying anything other than their continuing books. Does DC have a marvel unlimited system yet?

Not familiar with what Marvel Unlimited is, so I'm not sure I can answer that.

The Omega Men #3 was predictably great and the best issue yet. The page layouts and splashes are so incredibly cinematic it's almost like the story is moving in your hands. I'll echo my previous sentiments- it's the best thing going right now in the big two.

Not familiar with what Marvel Unlimited is, so I'm not sure I can answer that.

The Omega Men #3 was predictably great and the best issue yet. The page layouts and splashes are so incredibly cinematic it's almost like the story is moving in your hands. I'll echo my previous sentiments- it's the best thing going right now in the big two.

Marvel Unlimited is an online subscription service via which you can read tons of comics, new stuff usually posted about six months after it comes out.  Have to use their viewer, though.  Back catalog is a bit spotty but they are improving it.  DC doesn't have such a thing yet, but has frequent sales via their site and Comixology, and is putting up a lot of great older comics in digital.

Omega Men is wonderful in the fine tradition of weird DC Cosmic comics--Tom King has specifically cited Keith Giffen's Legion of Super Heroes run, which also rocked the 3X3 grid pretty hard.  There are references you'll enjoy if you know the older stuff, but no knowledge is necessary, and he's finally doing something with Kyle Rayner.

Picked up that BKV title whose name I always forget. That was it.

Finally got around to reading "wolf" - I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest. It still felt like a primer despite it being an oversized issue and I'm still not sure what the hook is. Is the city inhabited by myths or is he a Harry Dresden/Cosntantine dealing with slightly paranormal things?

Lazarus was ok. A little bit light and starting to feel a bit more trade-like.

Yeah I've been sitting on Wolf for a couple weeks now because the reviews I read were a little meh, but I always give everything at least 3 issues unless the first one is dreadful. Cover art is some of the best I've ever seen though and the in-issue stuff looks pretty good too from thumbing through. I'm a sucker for anything occult or supernatural though so I'm on board for now.

Still re-reading The Sandman and Lucifer. I could read shit like this forever. My only complaint about Lucifer (and for one issue The Sandman) is Mazikeen. Holy shit I can't believe that they just KEPT writing her with that broken language. Unbearable to read and I have just stopped trying completely.

Yeah I've been sitting on Wolf for a couple weeks now because the reviews I read were a little meh, but I always give everything at least 3 issues unless the firstone is dreadful. Cover art is some of the best I've ever seen though and the in-issue stuff looks pretty good too from thumbing through. I'm a sucker for anything occult or supernatural though so I'm on board for now.

Still re-reading The Sandman and Lucifer. I could read shit like this forever. My only complaint about Lucifer (and for one issue The Sandman) is Mazikeen. Holy shit I can't believe that they just KEPT writing her with that broken language. Unbearable to read and I have just stopped trying completely.

It was the cover that sold it to me. I might give it one more issue as the first was a double. It could be a slow burn title. For me it just wasn't well executed enough or had a strong enough premise to gloss over it. I guess I'm used to being spoiled by Image but not everything can be gold especially right out the gate.

Archived