Deep ones , important or not?

LordImp

We have read about the deep ones i TWOIAF , squishers was mentioned in the books , we have House Borell who has webbed fingers etc. We know that there was/ is an mysterious sea race. But will it have anything to say on the story , will they appear or are they just world bulding.

Any toughts?

I hope this is true. I wouldn't want the story to go off-tracks with lots of monsters and stuff running around.

There is hardly enough time to fit the main story in now, with adding new plots. Adding this is just too much, at most Aeron summons a kraken. We don't have time for Sarnori, ancient Asshai'i, Deep Ones, mazemakers etc.

No foreshadowing either, and this is hardly something the author would miss foreshadowing.

• 2 weeks later...

There is hardly enough time to fit the main story in now, with adding new plots. Adding this is just too much, at most Aeron summons a kraken. We don't have time for Sarnori, ancient Asshai'i, Deep Ones, mazemakers etc.

No foreshadowing either, and this is hardly something the author would miss foreshadowing.

Really? Maybe I hallucinated all the references (encrypted and literal alike) about dead things in the water; which has been referenced progressively more throughout the series and was becoming involved directly in plotlines at the end of Dance

We may get something "sea-based" but I have a feeling it's a kraken, or something that ties is with the Drowned God and the Iron Born. I think a lot of that was just just fun world building, and maybe material for a prequel or separate story, but as far as ASOIAF is concerned I think we have enough going on right now.

We may get something "sea-based" but I have a feeling it's a kraken, or something that ties is with the Drowned God and the Iron Born. I think a lot of that was just just fun world building, and maybe material for a prequel or separate story, but as far as ASOIAF is concerned I think we have enough going on right now.

Given the theory presented in the World book about the iron islands having originally been populated by a race of men that came from out of the sea...couldn't the deep ones be that something that ties in with the ironborn and the drowned god?

It seems likely to me that Patchface has been "turned" or somehow possessed by a sea-based power--and he's also been predicted to cause a lot of damage at some point. ("skulls all around him")

Also consider how firmly the Ironborn believe that when they die they must be returned to the sea so that they can "rise again, harder and stronger" and feast in the Drowned God's watery halls. What if their ancestors saw real evidence of such things happening?

Sure sounds like there is some major magic down there that can do something similar to raising wights. Add that to "dead things in the water" and I am 90% sure the Deep Ones will play some sort of role in the mass disaster will likely form the climax of the story.

Chekhov's Ocean Zombie Army has officially been hung on the wall.

It seems likely to me that Patchface has been "turned" or somehow possessed by a sea-based power--and he's also been predicted to cause a lot of damage at some point. ("skulls all around him")

Can't the skulls symbolize all the people that were with him on the ship and died during the wreckage at Shipbreaker Bay ?

I think the Deep Ones are just flavour that won't really be important in the main ASoIaF story.

Yep. I had one crazy theory about the oily black stones and how they would explain the origins of magic, Dawn, Asshai etc. But if they were really important, they would be at least mentioned in ASOIAF which they aren't, nor are the deep ones.

Can't the skulls symbolize all the people that were with him on the ship and died during the wreckage at Shipbreaker Bay ?

My instinct says no. Mel mixes a lot of things up, but so far she hasn't confused the past with the future. Besides, there's so many other creepy things with Patchface, and he's on his way to the creepy Nightfort. I'd be shocked if he wasn't associated with future magic-related deaths.

The Deep Ones and related materials pop up through out ASOIAF, not just TWOIAF. "That which is dead cannot die" as well as the Seastone Chair set off immediate bells and whistles for me. The squishers took ma second read. As did the quote from n the b naval officer at the port of Oldtown, when he trlks Sam that Lord Hightower and his daughter are locked up in the tower. Hen suggests sarcastically to Sam that they are consulting magic books and might summon an army from the deep to stop the Ironborn .

The Deep Ones and related materials pop up through out ASOIAF, not just TWOIAF. "That which is dead cannot die" as well as the Seastone Chair set off immediate bells and whistles for me. The squishers took ma second read. As did the quote from n the b naval officer at the port of Oldtown, when he trlks Sam that Lord Hightower and his daughter are locked up in the tower. Hen suggests sarcastically to Sam that they are consulting magic books and might summon an army from the deep to stop the Ironborn .

That wouldn't feel like Checkhov's Gun because it was such a minor reference that only people who has read TWOIAF (and really paid attention) would get. And we only know the Seastone Chair and the Ironborn might have a connection with them because of TWOIAF.

Damn. I want to be wrong.

Archived