Wow, I never noticed that... v. 11

Rhaenys_Targaryen

Re-reading one of Jon's chapters in aDwD the other day:

Stannis raised a hand for silence. “Explain your meaning.”

Where to begin? Jon moved to the map. Candles had been placed at its corners to keep the hide

from rolling up. A finger of warm wax was puddling out across the Bay of Seals, slow as a glacier.

Is this foreshadowing a frozen bridge that will allow the Others to circumvent the Wall?

Re-reading one of Jon's chapters in aDwD the other day:

Stannis raised a hand for silence. “Explain your meaning.”

Where to begin? Jon moved to the map. Candles had been placed at its corners to keep the hide

from rolling up. A finger of warm wax was puddling out across the Bay of Seals, slow as a glacier.

Is this foreshadowing a frozen bridge that will allow the Others to circumvent the Wall?

there was something similar in CoK when Stannis was looking at the table map of Westeros at dragonstone. In that case, stannis' shadow was covering the blackwater bay. I this k there might be something similar in a Davis chapter with Wyman Manderly. I think its wights circumventing more than the others. Sorry for going a tad off topic.

For those Kettleblack/Kettleback enthusiasts, did you pick up on Moat Cailin? Many people have read it as Moat Caitlin originally :)

wow, I couldn't believe I read kettleblack as cattleback and now it's happening again, till this second I was convinced it's Moat Caitlin

For those Kettleblack/Kettleback enthusiasts, did you pick up on Moat Cailin? Many people have read it as Moat Caitlin originally :)

Wait what. fvuck.

I always thought it tied into Catelyn being protective of her children. Moat Caitlin protects the North. Catelyn protects her northern children. One must get past the Neck to get past Moat Caitlin, and it was Catelyn's throat that was slit, on her neck.

There goes that.

"A good commander knows his men, Tyrion. Some are good for one job, some for another. Doing for a babe, and her still on the tit, that takes a certain sort. Not every man'd do it. Even if it was only some whore and her whelp."

Tyrion, Clash

Janos must have appreciated Tywin as a commander...

A handpicked cadre of men raced to the Red Keep to storm its walls and seek out King Aerys, so that justice might be done.

The Fall of the Dragons, TWOIAF

ETA I

I think one of the reasons a lot of bastards have rallied to the Golden Company is that, like Ser Glenden, ah, Ball, they see Daemon Blackfyre as a hero that rose high snd deserved to be king...

Ser Glendon seemed to weigh the Cat's words, to see if he was being mocked. "Daemon Blackfyre was no traitor. The old king gave him the sword. He saw the worthiness in Daemon, even though he was born bastard. Why else would he put Blackfyre into his hand in place of Daeron's? He meant for him to have the kingdom too. Daemon was the better man."

The Mystery Knight

ETA II

Wow, I never noticed that the dragon Daemon II Blackfyre (black or red a dragon is still a dragon) assumed the false name John. I'll bet the Fiddler woulda thought Satin was pretty too.

I love Old Nan...I don't know why I never put this together before...same freaking chapter!

AGoT, Chapter 8, Bran II

Bran did his best, although he did not think he ever really fooled her. Since his father would not forbid it, she turned to others. Old Nan told him a story about a bad little boy who climbed too high and was struck down by lightning, and how afterward the crows came to peck out his eyes. Bran was not impressed. There were crows’ nests atop the broken tower, where no one ever went but him, and sometimes he filled his pockets with corn before he climbed up there and the crows ate it right out of his hand. None of them had ever shown the slightest bit of interest in pecking out his eyes.

AGoT, Chapter 8, Bran II

His favorite haunt was the broken tower. Once it had been a watchtower, the tallest in Winterfell. A long time ago, a hundred years before even his father had been born, a lightning strike had set it afire. The top third of the structure had collapsed inward, and the tower had never been rebuilt. Sometimes his father sent ratters into the base of the tower, to clean out the nests they always found among the jumble of fallen stones and charred and rotten beams. But no one ever got up to the jagged top of the structure now except for Bran and the crows.

After bran fell pushed from the tower, during his coma, he dreamed of a crow pecking at his head (not pecking out his eyes, but trying to peck one open).

Anyone know of a thread that just dissects all of Old Nan's stories? I've seen a few from time to time but none that really analyze it all.

I noticed two things about this during a reread recently:

Prince Aegon Targaryen was not near as biddible as the boy Young Griff had been, however. The better part of an hour had passed before he finally turned up in the solar, with Duck at his side. "Lord Connington," he said, "I like your castle."

"As do I, Your Grace. Please, be seated. Ser Rolly, we'll have no further need of you for now."
"No, I want Duck to stay." The prince sat. "We've been talking with Strickland and Flowers. They told us about this attack on Storm's End that you're planning."
Jon Connington did not let his fury show.

What new I did notice about this scene was that

1.) Aegon wasn't lollygagging, as we (and I at first) felt during Jon's waiting for him. Aegon takes so long ("better part of an hour") because he's seeking counsel from his other men so that he can talk with JonCon as an equal, rather than be advised by him.

2.) "Jon Connington did not let his fury show." Was Jon mad at Aegon taking an active part in the decision making? I know Jon's used to having control over the boy, but will he be reluctant to give that control up? Maybe I'm reading that incorrectly...

The old Kings of Winter (who are closely connected with direwolves) would sometimes go out into the snows to die. IRL domestic dogs that live to an old age will sometimes wander off into the woods to die. Does anyone know if wild wolves separate from the pack to die a natural death?

1.) Aegon wasn't lollygagging, as we (and I at first) felt during Jon's waiting for him. Aegon takes so long ("better part of an hour") because he's seeking counsel from his other men so that he can talk with JonCon as an equal, rather than be advised by him.

2.) "Jon Connington did not let his fury show." Was Jon mad at Aegon taking an active part in the decision making? I know Jon's used to having control over the boy, but will he be reluctant to give that control up? Maybe I'm reading that incorrectly...

1. I don't think Aegon was purposely looking advice but Harry was simply informing him and giving opinion. Maybe he wanted Aegon to persuade Jon to wait.

2. While I agree that Jon might be a little bit mad that Aegon has started to have a mind of his own and getting too much bold, Jon's motivations for what he's doing are not exclusively due to Aegon and Rhaegar, but his own. He wants to recover his name and honour as well, and being able to sleep without hearing the bells. If the mission fails, he also fails. And Aegon's boldness could cause the mission to fail.

2. I think that Jon was angry because his plans were being spoken of out in the open. Jon is very carefull, after all, he only has once chance, and limited time left to him.

2. I think that Jon was angry because his plans were being spoken of out in the open. Jon is very carefull, after all, he only has once chance, and limited time left to him.

He has a leak of info somehow (KL knowing about Aegon), but he hasn't yet figured it out. So, he's not completely wrong.

The old Kings of Winter (who are closely connected with direwolves) would sometimes go out into the snows to die. IRL domestic dogs that live to an old age will sometimes wander off into the woods to die. Does anyone know if wild wolves separate from the pack to die a natural death?

If a wolf can't keep up or carry its own weight it is forced out of the pack / left behind

Doing a reread of the series (first since ADwD), so expect a lot of these.

"The weirdwood's bark was as white as bone, its leaves dark red, like a thousand bloodstained hands." -Catelyn I AGoT PB

"A thousand eyes and one."

Bloodraven much?

Absolutely. There many, many Bloodraven hints throughout all five novels.

crackpoterish but Tywin said tysha went to "wherever whores go" which could be Braavos, and The sailors wife only beds men who marry her first and we know she has a daughter. Her daughters name is Lanna, wait Lanna as in Lannister perhaps, and she has "fine long golden hair".

Tyrion makes a comment "I may one day take a wife and sire a son. If the gods are good, he'll look like his uncle and think like his father", not only has this possibly already happened but instead of a son it is a daughter. Now she could have the looks of her aunt (instead of uncle) who is beautiful and could possibly have the mind of Tyrion which even Tywin has acknowledged. Also Cersei has always wanted her father to acknowledge that she is the golden child, that she always took his lessons to heart but Tywin never really acknowledges her as the person who will continue his legacy always believing it needs to be Jaime who is his son. Now here is the irony that I see, theoretically the perfect Lannister has been created. Going back to his comment I stated about Tyrion hopes for a child with his brains and uncles looks which we can all agree would be a relatively cunning and powerful person. So the irony is directed right towards Tywin in my opinion because not only has this "perfect lannister" been created but it is a woman who, and here is what has me jumping for joy, is a WHORE.

This could be amazing

Archived