Heresy 159

Black Crow

Maybe I'd get my first warning point! I'm beginning to notice that topics like MJ & Tormund's Member seem to occur once Black Crow goes to retire for the evening.

If it's a warning point you're after, you could always try bringing feminist principles into an argument about letting women into the night's watch :devil: worked for me!

Depends. Luwin identifies the Valyrian steel link in connection with "higher mysteries," and offers some bah humbug discussion of it. And Marwyn is clearly the Archmaester associated with that particular link in the chain. When we meet him he goes on about Valyrian magic, fire and blood, glass candles, etc., yadda yadda... then runs out the door to hop a ship east to Essos. A place he's been before, where he's acquired some learning.

*snip*

I always found it somewhat odd that when Marwyn and the Slayer meet all they discuss is dragons and associated magic. Sam just brought the big news of the Others while they did know about the dragons way before and yet Marwyn doesn't make one single comment on them.

I'm sending both of your drink vouchers with your respective posts to be redemmed at a time of your chosing. I've had these very same thoughts myself.

What to make of Marwyn? I can't help but think he is a casualty of the 5-year time gap.

That lance is a clue to the answer of your explanation about the rivaling members of Jon Snow & Tormund.

ETA: I didn't notice you already figured out Rhaegar won the contest.

Yes, exactly. It's why GRRM gives us this exchange:

Dany turned back to the squire. "I know little of Rhaegar. Only the tales Viserys told, and he was a little boy when our brother died. What was he truly like?"

The old man considered a moment. "Able. That above all. Determined, deliberate, dutiful, single-minded. And he had a twelve-foot cock, that when aroused by the sight of Lyanna Stark, was known to grow to twenty-five feet in length."

You can see that here, as usual, he drops the subtle clue that is filled with ambiguity.

Now, something that just occurred to me is that -- as I said before -- there's no way any knight could aim something of that length with any accuracy from horseback using only one arm.

So it seems possible Rhaegar was actually trying to point it at someone else, and the whole thing was a big misunderstanding. Who else is sitting near Lyanna in that picture?

Regarding the destruction of all records of the NK: If the record keeping at that time consisted of weirwoods maybe it was them that were cut down and burned. There are no Heart Trees on the Wall (except that new one nobody knows about). And you would have to place the NK's bones somewhere safe were his memories can't enter the whole weirwood.net ...

It seems i am guilty of creating a hanging participle so let me expand on that:

If the NK was a Stark his natural resting place would be the crypts of Winterfell so to erase all memories of him the Winterfell Heart Tree gets some kind of magical protection against access of its roots from anywhere else. That is the Stark's privilege and burden: they have access to that dangerous knowledge but must also protect it against the rest of the world thus there must always be a Stark in Winterfell.

Armstark:

Upon further review....when it comes to the subject of the Crypts at Winterfell and what "might be" buried there; the governing committee has established that no one shall be guillty of a hanging participle when making reference to the aforesaid establishment.

Hell yeah! Can't recall just how far things had gone into Dany Flint territory...

I for one would be concerned. once being committed to the wall if my first name was Danny and my last name was Flint and......

Oh, here I go again with that damned haning participle. Or in the instance of Dany Flint...a "not-hanging" participle.

I for one would be concerned. once being committed to the wall if my first name was Danny and my last name was Flint and......

Oh, here I go again with that damned haning participle. Or in the instance of Dany Flint...a "not-hanging" participle.

Nudge nudge wink wink

So there is this then (ETA Sorry I don't know why it's a bit weird).

http://grrm.livejournal.com/412882.html

I don't often attend the World Fantasy Convention (not to be confused with the World Science Fiction Convention, which I have only missed once thirty years), but I was there the last time it was held in Saratoga, and I had a great time. A terrific town, a wonderful con.

This year the convention is returning to Saratoga once again, and I was hoping to return as well. I'm not a guest of honor, and I'm not (so far as I know) getting an award; I just wanted to go.

Reluctantly, however, I've just had to scratch Saratoga off my list of 2015 appearances. For no reason having to do with the con itself. I am sure it will be terrific. It's just a matter of time.

I have too much to do. Too many things on my plate. Son of Kong foremost amongst them.

My apologies to anyone who saw Saratoga on my Appearances page and planned to go in order to see me. I won't be there. Go anyway. You'll have a great time.

Also, I have decided against attending this year's San Diego Comicon. Same reason. But since Comicon was never listed on my Appearances page, scratching it is not as big a deal.

(Should I complete and deliver WINDS OF WINTER before these cons roll round, I reserve the right to change my mind).

Hell yeah! Can't recall just how far things had gone into Dany Flint territory...

I think I mentioned this on a different thread, but my sister today told me she thinks GRRM trolls the boards. Maybe you got him too worked up. I LMAO when I read that, though! It's make believe!!

I'm taking some liberties (but when hasn't any heretic taking a liberty here or there)...(the preceding three dots should give you a hint).....since JNR has derailed the conversation I'm gong to attempt an get the train back on the tracks.

The issue at hand is on the person we know as Marwyn. We know little about him and so the discussion really gets boiled down to where you see his involvement in TWoW. I suppose one could ask the question on whether Marwyn becomes part of Dany's close council;.... but for me, I think he is really filler. In other words,...his glass candle will not amount to more than a flicker in the night.

Yes, exactly. It's why GRRM gives us this exchange:

You can see that here, as usual, he drops the subtle clue that is filled with ambiguity.

Now, something that just occurred to me is that -- as I said before -- there's no way any knight could aim something of that length with any accuracy from horseback using only one arm.

So it seems possible Rhaegar was actually trying to point it at someone else, and the whole thing was a big misunderstanding. Who else is sitting near Lyanna in that picture?

Like VotFM suggested, this would be a good thread. I'm afraid that it would get locked in an hour, so you'd have to give us warning so we could post beforehand.

How does FPM=Lightbringer fit into this theory of yours? I estimate you have 2-3 hours to let us know before BC wakes up.

To answer your question, maybe Ned? But yes, I see Jon Con sitting on the other side of her :)

I'm taking some liberties (but when hasn't any heretic taking a liberty here or there)...(the preceding three dots should give you a hint).....since JNR has derailed the conversation I'm gong to attempt an get the train back on the tracks.

The issue at hand is on the person we know as Marwyn. We know little about him and so the discussion really gets boiled down to where you see his involvement in TWoW. I suppose one could ask the question on whether Marwyn becomes part of Dany's close council;.... but for me, I think he is really filler. In other words,...his glass candle will not amount to more than a flicker in the night.

Says the man with the Michael Jackson jokes...

So there is this then (ETA Sorry I don't know why it's a bit weird).

http://grrm.livejournal.com/412882.html

Classic GRRMbiguity. It promises nothing... yet it sounds promising.

Well, he was introduced as early as AGOT, so it's tempting to believe GRRM had plans of some sort for him all along.

Contrast with, say, Quentyn Martell, who definitely looks like styrofoam peanuts to me and who never got a reference until ASOS.

Like VotFM suggested, this would be a good thread. I'm afraid that it would get locked in an hour, so you'd have to give us warning so we could post beforehand.

Sometimes it's not clear to me why a grownup site on the Internet needs mods...

I think I mentioned this on a different thread, but my sister today told me she thinks GRRM trolls the boards. Maybe you got him too worked up. I LMAO when I read that, though! It's make believe!!

:laugh: if only they displayed warning points publicly. Very proud of that.

Archived