Heresy 159

Black Crow

:laugh: if only they displayed warning points publicly. Very proud of that.

WarningPoints would be a good handle-

JNR we need mods because people get very angry with trollers and thread hijackers. It's very serious business.

Ok, i 'll be serious. Here's my question: will we ever learn what Hodor means, or will he ever say anything else? Not trying to be funny, I want George to explain it.

He might reply: words are wind.

As for glass candles, is quaithe supposed to have them, too? Mace, what makes you so sure they will amount to so little?

Eta: phone posting fuuucked

If it's a warning point you're after, you could always try bringing feminist principles into an argument about letting women into the night's watch :devil: worked for me!

Eira, I thought about this yesterday. Doesn't seem fair that women aren't given the same get out of jail free card, right? Cersei is terrible, but I'm sure if things hadbgone differently she'd have been executed.

Eira, I thought about this yesterday. Doesn't seem fair that women aren't given the same get out of jail free card, right? Cersei is terrible, but I'm sure if things hadbgone differently she'd have been executed.

Except perhaps it is her lannister status protecting her. very thin, I realize but it didn't protect her from public slut shaming. myself, given the choice... execution starts to look quite gentle and friendly. more so for Danny flint.

BTW, I try to be serious and add more meat to ongoing discussions, but you heretics make me laugh so hard, I get baited into joining in!!

Can you remind me about Dany Flint? I'm guessing a clan member, but only remember a Karstark girl going to the wall, but not to join the black necessarily, although I think she needed Jon's protection, right?

BTW, I try to be serious and add more meat to ongoing discussions, but you heretics make me laugh so hard, I get baited into joining in!!

My work here is done :). Isn't it nice to fit right in?

Can you remind me about Dany Flint? I'm guessing a clan member, but only remember a Karstark girl going to the wall, but not to join the black necessarily, although I think she needed Jon's protection, right?

Danny flint tried joining the Nights watch. When they discovered she was a she, the results were a public shaming of disastrous proportions (along the lines of Tysha and Lollys Stokeworth).

Alys Karstark is the girl on the grey horse, fleeing the unwanted marriage and Jon protects her, yep.

My work here is done :). Isn't it nice to fit right in?

Danny flint tried joining the Nights watch. When they discovered she was a she, the results were a public shaming of disastrous proportions (along the lines of Tysha and Lollys Stokeworth).

Alys Karstark is the girl on the grey horse, fleeing the unwanted marriage and Jon protects her, yep.

And you were warned for defending her?! No me digas! Do you remember where this was mentioned? I'm guessing Sam found her, but it sounds vaguely familiar. I think you should've taken a screen shot of the warning and accompanying message (if there was one) and start your own social justice thread! I'd join the wall if I could hang out with Sam and read in the basement too. Fuck the hard labor.

Sure. I think it is another parallel. Bloodraven was LC for 13 years, then made his way to a heart tree. Night's King was LC for 13 years, then made his way to the heart of winter.

Following on from this I can't help but feel there is a connection between the FM and the Targs. We have Bloodraven being a parallel as lord commander at the wall and then just disappearing to live the rest of his life on a weir wood throne. We also have the very FMish isle of faces where the only known visitors are a crannogman and 2 Targs. The wall, weirwood thrones and the isle of faces scream FM to me and yet here we have a targ link with all 3. Why???

Si seniorita, claro! Though it might have been more generally, challenging some of the premises underlying the arguments against women in the watch at all. Threads about that devolve pretty quickly and do not have heretical humor to help out.

The vitriole is, at times, breathtaking.

It was back in '12, not long after I joined.

Anyway, what's up with these glass candles??

Si seniorita, claro! Though it might have been more generally, challenging some of the premises underlying the arguments against women in the watch at all. Threads about that devolve pretty quickly and do not have heretical humor to help out.

The vitriole is, at times, breathtaking.

It was back in '12, not long after I joined.

Anyway, what's up with these glass candles??

Not sure, but you know someone will light one for real. I can't imagine that not happening. Question is, who will have the ability to do so? Maybe Sam will bring some magical influence to the wall. What's changed with Citadel? We have Sam with his books, and Pate with a questionable key.

ETA: I forgot about Marwyn. Carry on...

Classic GRRMbiguity. It promises nothing... yet it sounds promising.

Well, he was introduced as early as AGOT, so it's tempting to believe GRRM had plans of some sort for him all along.

Contrast with, say, Quentyn Martell, who definitely looks like styrofoam peanuts to me and who never got a reference until ASOS.

Sometimes it's not clear to me why a grownup site on the Internet needs mods...

Define 'grownup' :D

I'm taking some liberties (but when hasn't any heretic taking a liberty here or there)...(the preceding three dots should give you a hint).....since JNR has helpfully derailed the conversation I'm gong to attempt an get the train back on the tracks.

The issue at hand is on the person we know as Marwyn. We know little about him and so the discussion really gets boiled down to where you see his involvement in TWoW. I suppose one could ask the question on whether Marwyn becomes part of Dany's close council;.... but for me, I think he is really filler. In other words,...his glass candle will not amount to more than a flicker in the night.

Fixed that for you! :P

If Marwyn isn't staying in Westeros, then the glass candle thing may not happen at the Citadel? Though I do wonder if he's on his way to see Quaithe, or wherever else he's headed. Get the feeling if he's a loose end, he's going to be tied up offstage, and we may have to put two and two together to figure it out. Don't really see him marching in Dany's army at present. (wonder what a POV from him would be like :wacko: )

Not sure, but you know someone will light one for real. I can't imagine that not happening. Question is, who will have the ability to do so? Maybe Sam will bring some magical influence to the wall. What's changed with Citadel? We have Sam with his books, and Pate with a questionable key.

ETA: I forgot about Marwyn. Carry on...

So if one is lit, I don't think it'll be Marwyn. Sam could be?

Just another thought on the idea of Lyanna as a May Queen, and what role Rhaegar and Howland may have played. The image of Rhaegar giving Lyanna the crown of roses with his lance (was this in the books or just an image in the Worldbook?) in addition to the phallic imagery (or perhaps because of the phallic imagery) also resembles the Maypole, with the Lance as the pole and the crown of roses as the ring of flowers atop the pole.

I'm loving these May Queen connections. It's a glorious alternative to having to the idea Rhaegar loved Lyanna.

Undoubtedly. There are enough hints and suggestions surrounding Walgrave to make it clear that he's quite relevant to the larger picture. He was the lover of a Hightower daughter, the father of the maester blamed for Lord Rickard's "southron ambitions," and the breeder of those unusually large, unusually intelligent white ravens used by the Citadel to herald the change of seasons. He is a skinchanger, hypothetically the control center and information hub of the Westeros Raven Network, and possibly as old as Bloodraven. To top things off, he's got a gauntlet under his bed that once belonged to a prince, and a lock of someone's yellow hair. Mysteries abound with this guy...

I say it's time for some deep analysis and wild crackpottery on Walgrave. I'll get sweet galenas in rotation.

Following on from this I can't help but feel there is a connection between the FM and the Targs. We have Bloodraven being a parallel as lord commander at the wall and then just disappearing to live the rest of his life on a weir wood throne. We also have the very FMish isle of faces where the only known visitors are a crannogman and 2 Targs. The wall, weirwood thrones and the isle of faces scream FM to me and yet here we have a targ link with all 3. Why???

Ah but remember Bloodraven isn't really a Targaryen. Through his mother he is a Blackwood of Raventree Hall. She was the one who named him Brynden/Brandon and brought him up there [she was replaced as the royal mistress when he was less than two] and the Bittersteel business was personal on account of the age-old Blackwood-Bracken feud.

There is something else worth noting here in that if R+L=J is true rather than A+L=J as we've been discussing we have the self-same situation of a Targaryen father but a destiny beyond the Wall rather than in King's Landing

I think I mentioned this on a different thread, but my sister today told me she thinks GRRM trolls the boards. Maybe you got him too worked up. I LMAO when I read that, though! It's make believe!!

I'd say not, although if true it might explain why he takes so long to write stuff, on the other hand I can recall someone [possibly Werthead] mentioning that Parris does.

I think the bolded means "time is a wheel/history repeats itself" and that Bran and Jon will be on opposing sides in the end (not a new theory as far as I know).

But I do think there is something to our Bran possibly being several iterations of Brandon's in the past. Who knows if using the Weirwoods as a Tardis can enable skinchangers to warg historical figures? Bran's architectural excitement about Winterfell is strange, and I don't think it's mere exposition.

Not sure if any of you guys ever looked into this thread I made a while back

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125208-bran-starks-journey-to-brandon-stark/

But textually speaking, Bran has been being calling himself Brandon Stark more and more, culminating with ADWD having the most references, and Bran's last POV ending with him calling himself Brandon Stark instead of Bran Stark.

Hell yeah! Can't recall just how far things had gone into Dany Flint territory...

That's crazy. Jon must be a feminist though, because there's women "manning" the Wall now.

Looks like the thread moved quite a bit while over dinner! Might take a while to catch up

Not sure if any of you guys ever looked into this thread I made a while back

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/125208-bran-starks-journey-to-brandon-stark/

But textually speaking, Bran has been being calling himself Brandon Stark more and more, culminating with ADWD having the most references, and Bran's last POV ending with him calling himself Brandon Stark instead of Bran Stark.

Interesting, but I'd pretty much go with your initial conclusion. He has always been Brandon Stark and the increasing use of his "real" name is a way of showing him growing up and steadily transforming from the cute young kid called Bran into Brandon Stark the greenseer. I dare say that as a young boy his predecessor and now mentor, Brynden Blackwood, was once known as Bryn.

Archived