The Americans v.2

MoIaF

I'm really surprised Black Sails is being mentioned anywhere near a show like The Americans. I tried to watch and find it all very stale. Might give it another shot. Glad Banshee is cited as good tv as that's the next show on my list to check out.

As for The Americans, this season is getting better and better. I was not happy that so much focus would be on the kids, but that mostly has to do with kid actors generally being terrible. These kids are pretty kid and they are given decent dialogue to work with. The show has a slow pace, but it's still enough that I feel tense and anxious for every minute of it. I know logically that the family isn't going to be discovered imminently, but there is just so much to go wrong. The dialogue and the acting sells this constant state of fear and stress very well.

Good grief, a new thread! :)

That scene with the old lady must be there to come back and haunt Elizabeth, especially when the woman was shocked to hear she had children and could do what she did. And of course, Elizabeth's answer back that what she did would make the world a better place is probably meant to come back and bite her in the ass. I can foresee a change of mind about Paige's future....

But it was also another chilling reminder that these people are cold-blooded murderers.

The tension I felt the other week about Martha has been put on a back burner with the lid on. I expect that pot to over boil by season's end.

Who knew scrabble could be so intense! If it wasn't for the phenomenal scene with the old book keeper, it'd have been my favorite of the episode. The way they gave both of our protagonists foils to work off of was brilliant.

This show is so damn good, and this episode ramped it up to a new level.

I can't think of a scene that I didn't like. The wanna be spy almost screwing the pooch because he's an amateur and infatuated with Elizabeth.Oleg and Stan's plan was interesting and there was so much subtext there. The quick scene with Paige and Gamer!Henry was there to let us know they're still alive, and emphasize just what is at stake for . Even the scene with Martha, which, I usually dread, was interesting because of the surreal quality to it.

Amazing.

Just watching the repeat now.

That young South African (what is his name? Hans?) is a good foil to Martha. Just like Martha doing anything for Phillip, he wants to do whatever Elizabeth asks of him.

Goodness, I was trying to remember who the actor playing Gabriel was. Frank Langella. Geez. :facepalm:

I had to check out the woman who plays the elderly lady, Lois Smith. She looked familiar. She played Helen Hunt's mom in Twister. She's mainly a stage actress and has been named to the American Theatre Hall of Fame.

Anyone wonder where the story is going with the Russian defector? Is it only a vehicle to rescue Nina, who's rescuing herself?

ETA: *wipes tears from her eyes*

I watch the repeats immediately afterwards too. This show goes deep, so a rewatch really comes in handy to make sure I'm catching everything.

Next week's episode looks like it's going to be pretty intense too - although, that last scene with Gabriel and Philip was breathtaking.

I don't know if anyone watched the previews of next week's episode, but there was a brief scene shown between Philip and the youth minister where the YM tells Philip he should treat Paige as more of an adult. The LOOK on Philip's face does not bode well for what comes next!

Yeah, this episode gave me some serious feels. I want to watch it over and over.

I'm now sort of hoping that Martha is the savior of the children. Paige and Henry, I mean. She's someone that Phillip could use to protect the kids if/when things turn sour. Phillip has now declared that the safety and future of his family matter more than the mission. He's a wildcard. Elizabeth may soon follow.

can't see a good end for Martha but this is actually a really nice theory

Anyone else think Gaad and Aderholt are suspicious of Stan now?

I also dont see Martha making it through, but there has to be a reason Philip wants to keep her around, something beyond simply having developed real feelings for her. I'm not seeing how it could all work out in the way I'm thinking, though.

And yes, I think Stan is now officially under suspicion. His connection with Nina and his anger that she wasn't protected the way a CI should have been will be used against him. Plus, iirc, I think he also attempted to ask Gaad advice about something, back when Gaad was under investigation and Gaad told him not to say anything. This was back when Stan was considering stealing Echo for the Russians.

Heartbreaking scene with Elisabeth and the old woman. If I could cry I most certainly would at that scene.

I forget, do we know how Elisabeth's dad come to die? Did he die in the war?

Just this season, there was a scene where Elizabeth asks her mother to go to some war memorial event, and her mother refuses. I think she has always refused. Elizabeth presses her, and her mother says the war memorial is for heroes, her father was a coward who ran away. I can't remember now if she also said he was shot for running away, or if I'm imagining that. :)

Just this season, there was a scene where Elizabeth asks her mother to go to some war memorial event, and her mother refuses. I think she has always refused. Elizabeth presses her, and her mother says the war memorial is for heroes, her father was a coward who ran away. I can't remember now if she also said he was shot for running away, or if I'm imagining that. :)

Thanks! If the day ever comes when Elisabeth wavers in her loyalty to the USSR, her father's fate could certainly be played into that decision in a great way.

So what know anything about Phillip's parents?

Archived