Hightower was able to find Rhaegar. How? Implications?

Mal Malenkirk

When the rebellion started, Hightower was sent to find Rhaegar. He suceeded readily enough. How?

If he had no information and no communication channel with Rhaegar, this would have been impossible. You can't search a continent the size of North America at random. So he at least had a damn good idea of where to look or who to ask. So how much information did Hightower have before hand? What are the implications?

The implications could be that Rhaegar secretly planned to usurp his father to make amends to those lords paramount that had been abused by the Mad King's actions.

We more or less know he planned to do something about his father. I'm thinking more specific, here.

For example, does it suggest Rhaegar told Hightower he planned to meet up with Lyanna and take her to the Tower of Joy and so if there was need of him, go get him there? That's a little bizarre but it implies Rhaegar planned meticulously the elopement and either already knew Lyanna would agree (how?) or that he was not going to take no for an answer.

Also, it means Hightower already knew where Rhagear was. Did he lie to Aerys, his king? Or did he tell Aerys and so the king also knew about the Tower of Joy?

Also, did Hightower come alone at the Tower of Joy? If he came with a small company, the ToJ couldn't have been much of a secret. If he came alone, however, why the Hell would Aerys send a lone man to look for/fetch his son? Would you send a single man to look for and retrieve your son in a continent at war if it were you? Bizarre.

Hightower, Dayne and Whent accompanied Rhaegar and a pregnant Lyanna (their eldest Meera) to ToJ. Hightower as Lord Commander was as obliged to return to KingsLanding until such time as either Aerys was safe (with the Lannisters assumed to be coming to Aerys rescue) or he was ordered to find Rhaeger. At that point it became incumbent on Hightower to skiddle to ToJ to protect the heir and his progeny....

Hightower, Dayne and Whent accompanied Rhaegar and a pregnant Lyanna (their eldest Meera) to ToJ. Hightower as Lord Commander was as obliged to return to KingsLanding until such time as either Aerys was safe (with the Lannisters assumed to be coming to Aerys rescue) or he was ordered to find Rhaeger. At that point it became incumbent on Hightower to skiddle to ToJ to protect the heir and his progeny....

You're saying Hightower was part of the party that eloped with Lyanna in the first place? I missed that. Source?

Rhaegar wasn't hiding. He just took a day off, to have fun with Lyanna. Buy Aerys was Aerys, and shit has hit the fan before Rhaegar and Lyanna were able to react.

Of course he was hiding. Crown prince don't publicly travel with only two or three guards. Brigands and assasssins would have a field day. The Tower of Joy was a secret location and the secrecy is what protected them, not swords. No matter how good three King's guard are, history proved that 7 competent fighter are enough to take them out so obviously secrecy is paramount when you are that vulnerable.

I don't think Hightower was part of the original party, I think minor detective work could have been done without too much difficulty though. Obivously someone reported that Rhaegar abducted Lyanna so someone saw something, and could easily be asked which direction they headed. From there all you do is follow the path and say hey, have you seen the crown prince, you know, the best looking guy in the realm with silver hair and purple eyes? Oh you have? What direction did they go? Heres a silver for your trouble.

Ned managed to find Lyanna & Rhaegar's hiding spot. I'm assuming Gerold found it the same way, through other people who might have had an idea of their whereabouts. Like daenerys said "A queen must listen to all. The highborn and the low, the strong and the weak, the noble and the venal. One voice may speak you false, but in many there is always truth to be found". Although minus the queen bit.

Of course he was hiding. Crown prince don't publicly travel with only two or three guards. Brigands and assasssins would have a field day.

Of course he didn't travel with transparent where "Hey, brigands and assassins, I am the prince!!!" was written, but indeed he was traveling alont.

Rhaegar often liked to visit the ruins of Summerhall with only his harp and when he returned he sang songs of such beauty they could reduce women to tears.

I don't think Hightower was part of the original party, I think minor detective work could have been done without too much difficulty though. Obivously someone reported that Rhaegar abducted Lyanna so someone saw something, and could easily be asked which direction they headed. From there all you do is follow the path and say hey, have you seen the crown prince, you know, the best looking guy in the realm with silver hair and purple eyes? Oh you have? What direction did they go? Heres a silver for your trouble.

If it was that easy, Hightower wouldn't have been the only one to find Rhaegar so swiftly. He was a person of interest, so to speak.

Of course he didn't travel with transparent where "Hey, brigands and assassins, I am the prince!!!" was written, but indeed he was traveling alont.

And so we are agreed he was hiding, contrary to what you said in post #6. So we're back to how Hightower found him so easily?

You're saying Hightower was part of the party that eloped with Lyanna in the first place? I missed that. Source?

I'm suggesting that they were present "not 10 leagues from of Harrenhal" (TWOIAF) guarding Rhaegar when Lyanna eloped was taken or kidnapped (your choice) to ToJ

And so we are agreed he was hiding, contrary to what you said in post #6. So we're back to how Hightower found him so easily?

If not screaming on every corner: "I AM MOTHERF***NG PRINCE RHEAGAR!!! ATTACK ME, BANDITS" means hiding, then yes.

But for me "hiding" means "hiding" not "traveling without screams, transparents and army of personal guards".

This too has always had me stumped somewhat: Rhaegar goes in secret hiding with Lyanna, far away from KL at the ToJ, but Hightower was sent to find him and found him rather swiftly to fight Robert at the Trident, and then afterwards Ned finds out Lyanna was at the ToJ too. But how did either Ned and Hightower find out where to go?

Barristan hints that certain members of the Kingsguard were closer to Rhaegar than he was, which indicates Hightower, Whent and Dayne, with some likelihood. As for how they found him, why wouldn't he have told them? If the abduction of Lyanna was premeditated, they probably knew what was going on. Hence: where did Rhaegar know? Well, they knew where. Hence he was easy to find, unless they weren't already travelling with him at the start.

If not screaming on every corner: "I AM MOTHERF***NG PRINCE RHEAGAR!!! ATTACK ME, BANDITS" means hiding, then yes.

But for me "hiding" means "hiding" not "traveling without screams, transparents and army of personal guards".

So you do not characterize what he was doing at the Tower of Joy as hiding?

I believe you are wrong.

Archived