Stannis' Reaction to (F?)Aegon and Dany?

Ivan Campo

A dragon is nice and all, if it is big and trained and you know what you are doing. Dany's dragons are not that large compared with the real damage dealers of Aegon I, two are feral and the third is only allowing the very basics to Dany, she has a long way to go before she can control it in anything resembling the basic tactics. Not to mention that she lacks the gear to make sure she does not fall off, freeze to death, get shot, etc.

Tyrion will remedy that.

he does have the blood. And there are not to many of them. Is he likely to ride a dragon? nope, but he definitly can.

As far as Daenerys, she can ride just one. Most of the people I can think that can ride one at this point wont side with her.

Not everyone with valyrian descent can ride a dragon *cough* Quentyn *cough*.

If Stannis rides a dragon I'll eat my hat. :P

She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them. With such sorceries at her command, she should soon have no more need of the feeble tricks of alchemists and pyromancers.

I would not speak so boldly about this subject. With the right sacrifice, Mel could summon a shadow dragon.

Stannis has no need to acknowledge the claim of Dany or Aegon. Stannis was going to capture Dany and Viserys in Dragonstone, but narrowly missed them. If it was only his loyalty to his brother that stopped him from supporting the Targaryens, he should have sent men looking for Viserys after Robert's death. Instead, he proclaimed himself to be king. Because the Targaryen rule of Westeros was put to an end fifteen years ago, and Stannis was the true heir of Robert. (I personally think that Stannis, like Barristan, knew that Viserys was crazy like his father Aerys, too).

Since Aegon has already captured Storm's End, there is no need for him to get the support of Stannis. So even if Stannis is willing to marry Shireen to Aegon, Aegon may not want it. He can easily legitimize one of Robert's bastards as lord of SE and the Stormlanders will welcome that lord better than they did Stannis, some thanks to Stannis's dabbling with foreign religions. For Stannis's part, if he finds out Aegon was rescued by Varys, he will put two and two together and suspect Aegon to be fAegeon Blackfyre. One chance I see for people welcoming Stannis is if he defeats Aegon after Aegon's men spread greyscale.

Dany is a different matter. While Stannis has no need to accept her as the rightful heir to IT, he must know that her dragons are required to protect the South of the Wall from WW. Irrespective of what kind of ruler Dany turns out to be, I think Stannis will sacrifice his claim to protect the realm, unless Mel or someone finds a way to steal the dragons from Dany.

actually Quentyn has far less targ blood than Stannis. And even more, if you read the chapter correctly, he had a chance but he got confused and picked the wrong dragon.

And it was kind of dumb to try two dragons at once.

She was stronger at the Wall, stronger even than in Asshai. Her every word and gesture was more potent, and she could do things that she had never done before. Such shadows as I bring forth here will be terrible, and no creature of the dark will stand before them. With such sorceries at her command, she should soon have no more need of the feeble tricks of alchemists and pyromancers.

I would not speak so boldly about this subject. With the right sacrifice, Mel could summon a shadow dragon.

And Stannis is going to ride it? Seems unlikely to me.

Since he's a stickler for honour and law, and his attempt on the Iron Throne "is not a question of wanting" what do you think he'd make of their individual claims?

A few things. It is a question of wanting. Wanting more than anything else and ready to die for. Next, the law does not support a Targaryen claim to the Throne. It was won by conquest by a Baratheon. However, it is the first succession after such an event that really cements a new ruling family and Stannis is throwing a monkey wrench in that. He is questioning the succession to the king's son. Balerion the kitten said it well, hair color is a very weak thing to base a case of adultery on so unless he gets a confession by the Queen or her lover, he is usurping the throne from his nephew. Nothing wrong with that but at the moment, it's rebelling. Should Stannis succeed in winning the throne through conquest, then he can write the history books however he likes and make the Queen's treason a fact but for now, it's just a rumor he's started.

As I said, the Targaryens will try to reclaim the throne to conquest and that's how Stannis will view. Rightly so. I think he'll start thinking about Aegon when he learns about the attack on Storm's End. Until then, Stannis has other things to worry about. Depending on how many men he has after the Battle of Winterfell (yes, I am assuming he wins) he may want to head south but the weather and the threat of the Others will more than likely stop any moves he wants to make toward Storm's End. It's hard to say how many men will be left to him, which will be a big deal as we saw after his defeat at Blackwater.

Regarding Dany, I doubt he thinks about her at all since she's deep in the heart of Essos. Of course that will change when word reaches him that she's in Westeros and has dragons. At that point, he will no doubt believe he has 2 enemies that stand between him and the throne. There's no way he believes they have a stronger claim. Legally, they don't. Legally, he doesn't. He'll fight them however he can, unitl he breaks. Rightly so. No one will hand anyone the throne. Everyone will have to fight for it.

And of course there are always the shenanigans of Varys and Littlefinger to thwart someone's well planned efforts. And the unexpected elements of magic. Still, in the end it will be fight, probably to the death, for all the contenders.

The Baratheon claim to the iron throne is based on the Targaryen blood only for convenience. After the Battle of the Trident, crown Viserys would be a bad move, so choose a new royal house was the only solution. Between a charismatic leader with dragon blood and an old man with no relation to the Targaryen dynasty, it's obvious that the first option was a lot better. Therefore Daenerys and Aegon have no true claim to the throne (from Stannis' point of view).

Real or not real, Aegon is just a conqueror right now. If he conquers the throne, then Stannis will be the one with no claim. Simple as this.

However, when (or if) Stannis hears the news about Aegon and/or Dany, he'll be too busy with the White Walkers to think about them.

The Baratheon claim to the iron throne is based on the Targaryen blood only for convenience.

Real or not real, Aegon is just a conqueror right now. If he conquers the throne, then Stannis will be the one with no claim. Simple as this.

This. No one has a claim. There is a king sitting the throne. Everyone can rebel against him though.

Well, as far as Aegon is concerned, people don't trust his claimed identity, so Stannis could call him another pretender. And Dany is a woman, and Westeros has never had a ruling Queen, so he can call her claim irrelevant by her gender and continue to call himself the true king of Westeros.

Is the story really that hard to follow for some people?? This Balerion the kitten poster must have the reading comprehension of a toddler.

Targs USURPED power from the 7 kingdoms by conquest -> Targs lost power because of their crimes by conquest -> Baratheon line now has the only claim to throne

The throne is now held by Lannisters using BARATHEON claim not Targaryen!!!

Dany can say whatever stupid thing comes to her mind but she will always be wrong about her claim.

Stannis has the only legitimate claim on the planet because the throne currently belongs to the BARATHEONS and will not change unless the throne is taken by CONQUEST by another family.

Archived