Small Questions v. 10100

Regarding Lady Dustin in the Winterfell Crypts. She knew the older generation of Starks for sure, Brandon, Eddard, Lyanna and Ben, but did she know Neds children that well? I just had a thought that she was in the crypts to get another look at the statue of Lyanna to remind herself of what Ayra was supposed to look like if she had heard that Ayra looked like Lyanna.

Thoughts?

Regarding Lady Dustin in the Winterfell Crypts. She knew the older generation of Starks for sure, Brandon, Eddard, Lyanna and Ben, but did she know Neds children that well? I just had a thought that she was in the crypts to get another look at the statue of Lyanna to remind herself of what Ayra was supposed to look like if she had heard that Ayra looked like Lyanna.

Thoughts?

No need. She already knows.

ETA

But perhaps that vist helped confirm her understanding as well as the missing swords.

No need. She already knows.

ETA

But perhaps that vist helped confirm her understanding as well as the missing swords.

Yeah, I was thinking that she knows about fArya but just wanted to double-check.

So whilst I'm here, any good threads on Lady Dustin and her motives? I suppose I just have to re-read the GNC posts, right??

Yeah, I was thinking that she knows about fArya but just wanted to double-check.

So whilst I'm here, any good threads on Lady Dustin and her motives? I suppose I just have to re-read the GNC posts, right??

I recall getting into one a while back but it all blends together in my small, Hodorish mind.

Quick question here:

Did Robb really needed Walder Frey so badly the second time? I understand why he had to cross the Twins on his way south but marching north with his army from Riverrun, why didn't he just crossed at the Ruby Ford? that way he wouldn't had any reason to make amends with Walder. I know that Robb says that he doesn't want Frey soldiers at his back but I suppose he could have left some rear guard, mainly from soldiers from the Neck or something who could bleed the Frey forces on their way north

Am I completely off here?

Robb had a good plan to take Moat Cailin, but it was still an obstacle. In military terms that obstacle would limit his movement, trapping his forces to some degree. If Frey joined Tarly and Clegane, Stark would have been between a rock and a very had place. And the execution of his plan to take Moat Cailin would have involved dividing his forces in the face of a superior enemy. He got away with that when he marched south, but that was a different situation.

Quick question here:

Did Robb really needed Walder Frey so badly the second time? I understand why he had to cross the Twins on his way south but marching north with his army from Riverrun, why didn't he just crossed at the Ruby Ford? that way he wouldn't had any reason to make amends with Walder. I know that Robb says that he doesn't want Frey soldiers at his back but I suppose he could have left some rear guard, mainly from soldiers from the Neck or something who could bleed the Frey forces on their way north

Am I completely off here?

Freys are one of the most important houses in the Riverlands. If Robb was to be the king of that area (which he would had lost retreating north anyways), he would need to keep them on-board. It's pretty much "what do I have to lose to satisfy Frey demands and hold onto their troops".

So the question is, why would he not try to hold onto Freys?

Does the custom of ladies giving their favours to their champions at tourneys exist in Westeros? Do we ever see examples of knights begging for tokens and then wearing the handkerchiefs, ribbons etc. on their arm, lance and so on when competing?

yes, it does...

"Many tourneys pit pairs of warriors in rounds, where the loser is eliminated and the winner proceeds to the next round. The winner of the last round is declared champion. This is similar to how many tournaments in real life were performed, with exception of the best-of-three rule. Some ladies allow contestants to wear their favors during a tourney. The queen of love and beauty can be chosen from the ladies by the competition's victor."

Jorah Mormont wore Lynesse Hightower's favour during Tourney at Lannisport. ..

yes, it does...

"Many tourneys pit pairs of warriors in rounds, where the loser is eliminated and the winner proceeds to the next round. The winner of the last round is declared champion. This is similar to how many tournaments in real life were performed, with exception of the best-of-three rule. Some ladies allow contestants to wear their favors during a tourney. The queen of love and beauty can be chosen from the ladies by the competition's victor."

Jorah Mormont wore Lynesse Hightower's favour during Tourney at Lannisport. ..

Great. Thanks a lot. I thought that Jorah might have been given a token by Lynesse but I wasn't sure.

Here is this quote:

"To celebrate his victory, Robert ordained that a tourney should be held outside Lannisport. It was there I saw Lynesse, a maid half my age. She had come up from Oldtown with her father to see her brothers joust. I could not take my eyes off her. In a fit of madness, I begged her favor to wear in the tourney, never dreaming she would grant my request, yet she did."

"I fight as well as any man, Khaleesi, but I have never been a tourney knight. Yet with Lynesse's favor knotted round my arm, I was a different man. I won joust after joust. Lord Jason Mallister fell before me, and Bronze Yohn Royce. Ser Ryman Frey, his brother Ser Hosteen, Lord Whent, Strongboar, even Ser Boros Blount of the Kingsguard, I unhorsed them all. In the last match, I broke nine lances against Jaime Lannister to no result, and King Robert gave me the champion's laurel. I crowned Lynesse queen of love and beauty, and that very night went to her father and asked for her hand. I was drunk, as much on glory as on wine. By rights I should have gotten a contemptuous refusal, but Lord Leyton accepted my offer. We were married there in Lannisport, and for a fortnight I was the happiest man in the wide world."

Here is this quote:

"To celebrate his victory, Robert ordained that a tourney should be held outside Lannisport. It was there I saw Lynesse, a maid half my age. She had come up from Oldtown with her father to see her brothers joust. I could not take my eyes off her. In a fit of madness, I begged her favor to wear in the tourney, never dreaming she would grant my request, yet she did."

"I fight as well as any man, Khaleesi, but I have never been a tourney knight. Yet with Lynesse's favor knotted round my arm, I was a different man. I won joust after joust. Lord Jason Mallister fell before me, and Bronze Yohn Royce. Ser Ryman Frey, his brother Ser Hosteen, Lord Whent, Strongboar, even Ser Boros Blount of the Kingsguard, I unhorsed them all. In the last match, I broke nine lances against Jaime Lannister to no result, and King Robert gave me the champion's laurel. I crowned Lynesse queen of love and beauty, and that very night went to her father and asked for her hand. I was drunk, as much on glory as on wine. By rights I should have gotten a contemptuous refusal, but Lord Leyton accepted my offer. We were married there in Lannisport, and for a fortnight I was the happiest man in the wide world."

That's wonderful. Thank you.

In Bran's 1st chapter in Dance Summer finds the dead men, presumably the mutineers from Craster's based on the description of Ollo Lophand. BUT Summer counts 10 and one of the mutineers broke his neck falling out of the loft at Crasters. So are these not the mutineers? Did they pick up another black brother along the way? Or is this an error?

Archived