Small Questions v. 10100

I don't understand the financial / currency matter. What does ___ buy? Visually speaking. LIke a house, horse, or a whore? And how many ___ = ____ .

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Currency

That should help you quite a bit I think. The info is sort of dropped-in in all the books in the series and spin-offs so it might be a bit difficult to catch. Not to mentions it's not always quite internally consistent (like how Anguy could spend the huge fortune he made by winning the Hand's archery competition in such a short time). I reckon it's one of those things GRRM didn't really think through when he started writing the series.

I don't understand the financial / currency matter. What does ___ buy? Visually speaking. LIke a house, horse, or a whore? And how many ___ = ____ .

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Currency

Has a list of examples of what some things cost. It also has the relative value of each coin, but that info comes from a semi-canon source and so it's not confirmed.

:ninja: 'd

Hello all

I wonder if someone has ever made the effort to summarize the books main events chapter by chapter. As the publication of book 6 fast approaches, I find myself wondering if I remember enough of the previous books and if watching the show has altered some of my memories. I would like to recap the key happenings of the past books while I do not have the time to re-read the whole saga.

Can anyone help me?

I wonder if someone has ever made the effort to summarize the books main events chapter by chapter. As the publication of book 6 fast approaches, I find myself wondering if I remember enough of the previous books and if watching the show has altered some of my memories. I would like to recap the key happenings of the past books while I do not have the time to re-read the whole saga.

Chapter summaries

This is a bit different from the other questions but it's been bothering me for a while. When jeyne (fake arya) said -

No. This is some trick. It's him, it's my... my lord, my sweet lord, he sent you, this is just some test to make sure that I love him. I do, I do, I love him more than anything.' A tear ran down her cheek. 'Tell him, you tell him, I'll do what he wants...or whatever he wants...with him...or...or with the dog or...please...

Was that hinting he made her have sex with one of his dogs or was that just something Ramsay threatened. I think I know the answer but I'm hoping against hope that it was just a threat. Jeyne's story is sad enough.

This is a bit different from the other questions but it's been bothering me for a while. When jeyne (fake arya) said -

Was that hinting he made her have sex with one of his dogs or was that just something Ramsay threatened. I think I know the answer but I'm hoping against hope that it was just a threat. Jeyne's story is sad enough.

You know the answer. :(

Well, all of Ramsays dogs are female.

Yeah but the new litters from which he chooses new bitches to bear worthy names are not due to immaculate conception. There's a stud around somewhere and it surely ain't Theon.

This is a bit different from the other questions but it's been bothering me for a while. When jeyne (fake arya) said -Was that hinting he made her have sex with one of his dogs or was that just something Ramsay threatened. I think I know the answer but I'm hoping against hope that it was just a threat. Jeyne's story is sad enough.

Is that even possible? I know dogs do hump peoples legs, but still, how could you get a male dog to do that??

I read that French Poodles were used by women of the courts a couple hundred years ago. The dogs would perform cunnilingus on them. Oh my, I can't believe I just typed that....

Is that even possible? I know dogs do hump peoples legs, but still, how could you get a male dog to do that??

I read that French Poodles were used by women of the courts a couple hundred years ago. The dogs would perform cunnilingus on them. Oh my, I can't believe I just typed that....

Um... please don't type anymore.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while: how the hell did Melisandre kill Varamyr's eagle? It seems like she made it burst into flames but what kind of spell was that? Can it be used on people?

I don't think we have solid answers to these questions. We know she burnt it from the inside. Could she do this to any animal or was she somehow taking advantage of the skinchanger bond? (We know she can "disconnect" Jon from Ghost so it seems she's not totally ignorant of skinchanging) I suspect if it could be effectively used on people she would have done it by now. For example using that method to burn any of the people she burnt would have been a nice public display of her power. (Though her powers are stronger at the wall, so this may be something she could not have hoped to do in the south. I'm not sure if anyone other than Mance was burned at the wall, and she probably couldn't do it to "Mance," as we know she was busy then with the glamour and in intense pain from the fire as a result.) When you think about it apart from Stannis and Davos not many people have seen her do anything really impressive.

If I had to guess I would say that burning the eagle hurt her too, or drained her energy, and that doing it to a human would be too much for her. There has to be some cost so that she's not just spontaneously combusting everything and everyone who makes her angry.

Are the Valaryans suppose to be pale because I have seen people say that they are but in the world book all the Targs except a few are tan or dark?

The blood of Valyria still runs strong in Lys, where even the smallfolk oft boast pale skin, silver-gold hair, and the purple, lilac, and pale blue eyes of the dragonlords of old.

So yeah, but it's not like an overriding trait like the magical Baratheon black hair. The Targaryens have mixed with other houses, including the Martells who have darker skin tones.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while: how the hell did Melisandre kill Varamyr's eagle? It seems like she made it burst into flames but what kind of spell was that? Can it be used on people?

When the ASOIAF folks make their voodoo I always imagine Barbara Eden dressed up like Aladdin's genie, folding her arms, nodding her head, and blinking. In my head I get to see her belly button :)

Archived