Make Life more Fun

litechick

I don't need a ton of space for living myself but I would like a yard and a garage. I think I'm at the stage in life where both of those things would be fun. I think a lot about all the domestic projects I want to do and the skills that I want to acquire that aren't really possible without that extra space.

But for straight up fun with no real life lesson / educational benefit?

I'd buy 2 or 3 pinball machines.

I have an artist live/work loft so it's just a bathroom and a closet with all the rest of the space open. About 1200 sq ft, the first third is workshop/warehouse for gear, flowing into kitchen area, then office area. I sectioned off an area 12' x 25' for personal living space and that works fine for me. 13' ceilings, brick and timber, concrete floors. I can use my table saw and my router in my pink fuzzy slippers. I can do a soldering project in front of the TV. If you want the ultimate in bachelor life rentals you should give it a try. (Unless, of course, you want to keep your sawdust separate from your kitchen. I can't help you there.)

I am making a tally: secret doors/passages, slide, pinball machines. Keep the ideas coming. :)

What do you want? What would make life more fun?

This may sound ridiculous, but I have often fantasized about having a house built around a massive in-ground aquarium... In my dreams it is an aquarium, a water feature, a swimming pool, a recreation/relaxation area, and a grand foray all in one. The surroundings are landscaped to make it look like a natural pond, the rest of the room is planted (including small fruit and nut trees, and a small vegetable garden) and filled with all manner of flora and fauna (even certain bugs, birds, and critters). It is the center, entrance, and main portion of the house ...and one must travel through it to get to any of the other rooms of the house (which are all have doors to connect to the central room, but not to each other). There are paths and walkways through it, but there are patches of sand and bare earth also. In my vision, there is even a few rooms of the house with basements that offer window views of the pond from below.

A fishing hole out the back door. It doesn't have to be world class or anything, just decent pan fishing and maybe a sizable bass once in a while. Catch and release of course.

I'd also like a good quality TIG welder. The welder I have now is kind of crappy and can't do aluminum. I enjoy being able to fix things that everyone else considers broken. Makes me feel like a big man.

Also I think everyone should have an old scooter or moped (or a newer nicer one if you can afford it). Anytime you are feeling blue you can take a cruise on your moped or scooter and feel 2 shades brighter, guaranteed. I heard someone in my scooter club say "scooters saved my life" because she was a depression case and her scooter cured it.

I fantasize about making my house into a cat playground, a la https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/d0/9e/30/d09e30552bfc157302f5998fa7fd3845.jpg or https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/13/a2/94/13a294a06e491ee25ed3dc7f9e2f024a.jpg

For me, I want a zipline into a pool, an extra 8 hours of recreational time each day (or I could quit working/studying), a load of friends who don't work, a bottomless bar, and a helipad with a helicopter, all of it situated in a log cabin type place on the West coast in some place really green. Also, a bright green Kawasaki ninja.

I can think of other things if I sit here long enough and avoid doing my pre-interview technical questions. Human wants are endless.

I keep saving my money for things like "Retirement" and "Savings"

My life would be a lot more fun if I would just stop doing that and buy a nicer motorcycle and maybe a boat. Or a camper.

Also: I keep using my vacation every year to visit my parents and to let my kids see their grandparents

My life would be a lot more fun if I would use that camper I bought with what used to be retirement savings and go visit a new state and National Park every year

I keep saving my money for things like "Retirement" and "Savings"

My life would be a lot more fun if I would just stop doing that and buy a nicer motorcycle and maybe a boat. Or a camper.

Also: I keep using my vacation every year to visit my parents and to let my kids see their grandparents

My life would be a lot more fun if I would use that camper I bought with what used to be retirement savings and go visit a new state and National Park every year

DO IT! Your kids would love you for it, too - in several years if not right away. Your parents can use their retirement savings to see their grandchildren. LIVE YOUR LIFE, MAN!

It's easy to say live your life when you're young and retirement is a distant concept. After all, being "old" is soooo far away it's like another planet. Treat the "Now You" to all that life has to offer - screw the "Then You." Hell, it may not even happen, right?

Sounds like I'm saying save your money so you can have a comfortable retirement, right? Wrong. Live your life now. By the time you're old, you feel like shit anyway and won't be able to enjoy any trips you had planned.

It's easy to say live your life when you're young and retirement is a distant concept. After all, being "old" is soooo far away it's like another planet. Treat the "Now You" to all that life has to offer - screw the "Then You." Hell, it may not even happen, right?

Sounds like I'm saying save your money so you can have a comfortable retirement, right? Wrong. Live your life now. By the time you're old, you feel like shit anyway and won't be able to enjoy any trips you had planned.

LOL! Also, sometimes try to do things that would impress childhood you.

In the interest of fun I just took the plunge on my first really fun car: a new Audi A7. I feel conflicted about such an indulgence but the sheer fun of driving, coolness of the gadgets and overall magpie instinct for something new and shiny makes it net positive. I was very seriously considering a Maserati instead -- fuck, that is a fast car and fun to drive -- but my wife is less into the pure sports driving mentality so we settled on the A7. Besides, the Maserati probably would have got me so many speeding tickets that I would lose my license. Thus ends a decade in Hyundai and Honda. My last attempt at a fun car was a Ford Probe (15 years ago).

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to some laser tag and go-karting with my son this summer. 8 year olds have a much stronger direct wiring for fun. You should just see his face when I'm galloping around giving him a horse-back ride (or do you call it a piggy-back ride?).

We already took two really fun trips in winter/spring this year (Orlando and Hawaii), so I'm not really feeling like more travel until later this year. Chicago in summer is more fun than most tourist destinations. We'll go to water parks on some sunny days.

In the interest of fun I just took the plunge on my first really fun car: a new Audi A7. I feel conflicted about such an indulgence but the sheer fun of driving, coolness of the gadgets and overall magpie instinct for something new and shiny makes it net positive. I was very seriously considering a Maserati instead -- fuck, that is a fast car and fun to drive -- but my wife is less into the pure sports driving mentality so we settled on the A7. Besides, the Maserati probably would have got me so many speeding tickets that I would lose my license. Thus ends a decade in Hyundai and Honda. My last attempt at a fun car was a Ford Probe (15 years ago).

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to some laser tag and go-karting with my son this summer. 8 year olds have a much stronger direct wiring for fun. You should just see his face when I'm galloping around giving him a horse-back ride (or do you call it a piggy-back ride?).

We already took two really fun trips in winter/spring this year (Orlando and Hawaii), so I'm not really feeling like more travel until later this year. Chicago in summer is more fun than most tourist destinations. We'll go to water parks on some sunny days.

Good to know. We're taking the train to Chicago in a couple weeks. Both of us have been there on business, but this is the first time together for leisure.

My husband's a car guy. He's owned many fun cars throughout his life, among them a Porsche 928, a 'vette, a TR6, a '30's vintage Chevy with a rumble seat, and others. The only one that I really loved and hated to eventually sell was the TR6. I guess I'm not really a car person. They're simply transportation for me and my dog. :P

Good to know. We're taking the train to Chicago in a couple weeks. Both of us have been there on business, but this is the first time together for leisure.

My husband's a car guy. He's owned many fun cars throughout his life, among them a Porsche 928, a 'vette, a TR6, a '30's vintage Chevy with a rumble seat, and others. The only one that I really loved and hated to eventually sell was the TR6. I guess I'm not really a car person. They're simply transportation for me and my dog. :P

Your husband sounds fun, hang on to him. I'm not a complete gear head but I enjoy driving fast and somewhere deep down there is still that teenager who lusted after exotic cars.

I hope you have fun in Chicago. The city just comes to life to make up for the long winter. Let me know if I can provide any local tips, although we have other boarders with much longer history here. They're probably cooler than me too.

I had a couple of friends who owned TR6's. I loved driving in them also. I once saw one with a bumper sticker that read "All the parts falling off this car are of the finest British workmanship."

I had a couple of friends who owned TR6's. I loved driving in them also. I once saw one with a bumper sticker that read "All the parts falling off this car are of the finest British workmanship."

:lol:

If I was someone who put signs on cars, that would definitely be one I'd consider.

None of the parts fell off of it - my husband wouldn't let anyone (me or him) drive it long enough for anything to fall off. :(

Today I took an actual lunch break away from my desk. I met my wife and son in the new kids park downtown right next to my office and enjoyed 40 minutes of sunshine and fresh air.

I'll definitely do that more often.

I should go back on a weekend to try the climbing walls too.

Archived