Golden Company's numbers-why so many?

The Skinner

The books say that the GC has 10,000 men, and while I know they have many soldiers from all over, but it's said that it's largely made up of exiles and the sons of exiles from westeros. Whiles the other companies like the Second Sons, company of the cat, windblown, stormcrows all seem to only have a few hundred and some of them have been around for much longer. How does the GC have so many men

The books say that the GC has 10,000 men, and while I know they have many soldiers from all over, but it's said that it's largely made up of exiles and the sons of exiles from westeros. Whiles the other companies like the Second Sons, company of the cat, windblown, stormcrows all seem to only have a few hundred and some of them have been around for much longer. How does the GC have so many men

The company was formed as a way to stop all the exiles of the blackfyre rebellions scattering to the multiple sellsword companies in essos , the bulk will be essoso born and bred ie infantry etc but its officer corps are blackfyre exiles and others

They have many men as they started with a lottla exiles and unlike most free companies they have a good reputation (constant work) as well as a binding vision to keep its officers together rather than branch out and form their own forces.

I think some of the other mercenary companies number in the low thousands, if I'm not mistaken? Either the Stormcrows or Second Sons, I thought, had around 2,000 men?

That said, I think the Golden Company is so big because of what hodor said above - a lot of them are descended from a large group of exiles. Plus, their reputation probably allows them to keep their ranks filled more than other mercenary groups. Plus, I think it's also a device of GRRM to give Aegon an army that is close to the size that Dany has - not counting dragons, of course.

I think some of the other mercenary companies number in the low thousands, if I'm not mistaken? Either the Stormcrows or Second Sons, I thought, had around 2,000 men?

That said, I think the Golden Company is so big because of what hodor said above - a lot of them are descended from a large group of exiles. Plus, their reputation probably allows them to keep their ranks filled more than other mercenary groups. Plus, I think it's also a device of GRRM to give Aegon an army that is close to the size that Dany has - not counting dragons, of course.

2000 is the number given to the second sons by the show. In ASOIAF its more like 500 second sons and 500 storm crows.

Success. No more, no less. Just success.

Nope, 300 each, the lousy troops.

The Company of the Cat is the second-biggest known to us with 3,000.

Success. No more, no less. Just success.

Success is the main part but I wouldn't say it's just success. Its got a dedicated officer corp in it's Westerosi exiles and their descendants, to some of them it's not just a job its a cause.

Which means it can afford to take a few hits to go with its success. A lesser company that takes a big loss might just fade away or lose most of its remaining strength to other more successful companies. The GC can afford to take a hit or two on its way to success cause it has a mainstay of guys who will stick with it.

But yeah mostly success, after a while I'd assume it reaches a sort of critical mass as to why its so much bigger than the others. Its gets a reputation as the best, most loyal sellsword army around so If you are at the stage where you need and can afford an army (rather than just a band, which is probably the best way to describe the smaller companies in comparison to GC) why would you go with anyone other than the GC?

To support that many guys and stop them deserting you'd need near constant work so with the GC getting all the best big contracts the other company's simply can't afford the have enough guys to compete with them.

Esprit de corps arising from an emphasis on discipline and a nominal greater purpose mixed with that while often maligned by all the sneaky tricksters in the books certain things like 'being honorable' (aka keeping your word) aren't simply morals but also fairly profitable in the long run.

Being the one mercenary company you can trust allows you to charge a premium on that trust, ergo maintain a larger force.

At a more meta level... Martin likes his Glen Cook and wanted to add a badarse mercenary group so he had to make one a little different then the rest so had to make them a credible threat?

Am I right in assuming that the Brave Companions had 1200 calvary when hired by Tywn? Didn't Vargo spilit his forces into four reaving groups of 300.

I think if that were the case 10,000 total is not an outlandish number considering the reputation of the Golden Company.

The 10,000 men are not all exiles from Westeros or their descendants, many of the infantry I'd say honestly 8/10 men are born is Essos but mostly all the officers are exiles of the 7k. The men from Essos fight for the GC because of there reputation and constant work.

Yep. And a few Essosi men have been promoted alongside the usual Blackfyre loyalists/lordly Westerosi exiles in the officer ranks, like Black Balaq (Summer Islander) and Lysono Maar (Lysene).

A mercenary company is basically a corporation.

A corporation that starts out with a strong mission statement, talent, and most importantly a large amount of capital always do better than ma and pa hops.

If peace breaks out a regular free company will slowly disintegrate. Men sign on for one year (I think, right? We know that the Windblown and Golden Company both do one year terms.) and if that particular year is slow (not much plunder to be had) guys will drift off to another profession/employer.

The Golden Company has the funding to keep men on even during times of recession (AKA peace) which might account for some of their size.

Also as mentioned above success is definitely part of it.

If you are going to sign up as a killer, you want to be surrounded by the best killers out there.They undoubtedly have more applicants than the other free companies.

I always wondered what the Golden Company did with their women and young. Do they march with the company? Is there a "Little Kings Landing" (like "Little Havana" in Miami) located in Braavos somewhere?

Am I right in assuming that the Brave Companions had 1200 calvary when hired by Tywn? Didn't Vargo spilit his forces into four reaving groups of 300.

I think if that were the case 10,000 total is not an outlandish number considering the reputation of the Golden Company.

At best they have 300, which is how many horses they were given to raid the Riverlands after Jaime got captured.

I always wondered what the Golden Company did with their women and young. Do they march with the company? Is there a "Little Kings Landing" (like "Little Havana" in Miami) located in Braavos somewhere?

Surely not Braavos but on of three on the Disputed Lands might be more possible.

Other possibilities would include not following their husbands into exile and being quietly sheltered by their families.

Then of course where go camps so go camp followers.

Surely not Braavos but on of three on the Disputed Lands might be more possible.

Other possibilities would include not following their husbands into exile and being quietly sheltered by their families.

Then of course where go camps so go camp followers.

1. Yeah they might have a base on one of the stepstones or something. I was just using Braavos as an example.

2. If their women stayed in Westeros then there wouldn't be successive generations of exiles. "Gold for four generations" wouldn't be a thing.

3. It just doesn't seem like lords/knights would be ok with their wives being camp followers aka washerwomen aka whores, but maybe its one of those "desperate times call for desperate measures" deals.

1. Yeah they might have a base on one of the stepstones or something. I was just using Braavos as an example.

2. If their women stayed in Westeros then there wouldn't be successive generations of exiles. "Gold for four generations" wouldn't be a thing.

3. It just doesn't seem like lords/knights would be ok with their wives being camp followers aka washerwomen aka whores, but maybe its one of those "desperate times call for desperate measures" deals.

They also might not exactly care as strongly about bastardry in the Westerosi sense since if they ever manage to achieve victory that's a comparatively minor gift to have erased, plus they were founded by one to pursue the cause of a bastard house. They're all basically bastards in Westerosi eyes I'm sure.

Also while camp follower is a euphemism for whore of course it does exist as a term for all people doing any number of tasks (including washing clothes) as civilians following the army in question without having to be just that. Here's an interesting (though probably overly glowing) article on American ones, and there was probably something similar for more armies then not. Its totally true today too, where goes the military so go civilian contractors and no military in history has ever provided everything their troops might want.

Given I'm not sure that GRRM has exactly noted any such thing off the top of my head.

For the Gold Company in particular it would be nice to get a bit more explanation on that front. We know the Dothraki are a nation on the move for example.

I think george gave the golden company such numbers is so he can have aegon war quickly and successfully in a very short amount of time. I don't see George wanting to spend more than one book describing aegon and his conquering.

Prediction; I remember jon connington saying that no war horse can stand against the elephants.

He's right, but I'd wager George somehow gets the wildings and the GC in battle, and with their experience with mounted giants, they will take some out "Empire strikes back style" with relative ease. I want this more than otherized Jon Snow.

Archived