Careerchat

Inigima

Good luck chef!

While I'm in here I might as well discuss where my head is at career-wise. I like my job, but upon approaching 2 years it is becoming clear that I do not love it. Advancement is not even something I am sure that I would like to do here, but if I did, it would probably take getting a PhD to really make the most of it. The problem is that the nature of my job is to manage all of our field work and there is just no way that I can go away on short notice if I have classes, which is more or less my #1 job requirement. I don't think my bosses would go for it and I'm not even remotely sure that a PhD is something I am interested in anyway.

Another thing that has my mind wandering is salary. I have a lot of connections within the private sector of my industry and I know that I am making a lot less money than I could potentially be making. I think I could nearly double my income. Life isn't all about money, but I took the job that I have knowing I wouldn't make as much based on the premise that I would get to work on some really cool shit. In the end, what I do day to day is really not very different from what I have done at other jobs so I'm beginning to rethink things.

My plan is to stick it out for another year or so and see what I can accomplish in my time here. But, ultimately, I think I will have to leave the job and therefore, the area. There really isn't anything else out here for me unless I make a career switch. Right now I am really thinking about trying to go back to the DC area. The other key area for me in jobs is California and I'm just not a California person. Love to visit, it's a great place, but I don't want to live there. Austin (where I live now) is so fucking cool, it really is, but there is no replacement for the many great friends I have in the DC area - plus my family is not too far away and I'm maybe getting to the age where I appreciate that. Perhaps I've learned a life lesson about grass being greener, but I needed to at least explore somewhere else before I could accept my fate. Gonna gradually try to win the girlfriend over on the idea and I think she might be up for it. But I'll give it some time before I decide for sure. Probably a year to 18 months.

Otter, dc is certainly ready for the return of dr. Otter PhD!

Today I had not an interview but a 'conversation' with the regional director of people services.

She was really friendly. She was showing me photos of her son who I reminded her of. The gist of the chat was to gauge my interest in the new company and whether or not I fit with the culture of the company.

Culture of an organization has never really mattered to me. I am a bit of a mercenary chef in that. My motivations have always been advancing my skills, working with people I like and respect, putting out nice food and a paycheck.

This company sells a rather nice tale. They are jointly guest and employee focused and expanding rapidly. I am wanting badly to buy into their world. At 39 I am a bit too old to continue bouncing around chasing cuisine. A bit of settling down could do me good.

Hopefully the next update is I have signed an offer letter. A massive concern is that this new company has been really noncommittal about whether we will negotiate salaries. I know I am underpaid for my position in the market. It would be nice to sign on with this new company at a competitive salary.

Worst case I am still being courted by s recruiter looking for a chef for a upcoming spot.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering if any actuaries or people who work with actuaries could tell me if getting a Masters in Actuarial Science would be worth it for me.

For some background, I took and passed a few actuarial exams a few years ago, but have spent the time since working as a strategy consultant instead. I recently took the GMAT and did well with the intention of getting an MBA. But after some introspection, I realized that I'd probably be better off going in a more quantitative or "nerdy" path. I'm considering going back to school or data science or statistics.

WWTR - I'm an actuary.

A masters in actuarial science is useful IF you want to be an actuary and you could use a head start with early exams and/or make your resume stronger for job applications.

If you don't want to specifically be an actuary, then a masters in quant finance, statistics or similar has broader application.

If you already have actuarial exams and some experience that will make your resume attractive, then you don't need the masters.

Do you have other questions?

WWTR - I'm an actuary.

A masters in actuarial science is useful IF you want to be an actuary and you could use a head start with early exams and/or make your resume stronger for job applications.

If you don't want to specifically be an actuary, then a masters in quant finance, statistics or similar has broader application.

If you already have actuarial exams and some experience that will make your resume attractive, then you don't need the masters.

Do you have other questions?

Thanks.

I think I'd prefer to be an actuary, but I'm not sure how viable it is to try to make the switch. I remember a few years ago I had a bit of trouble since I hadn't had any actuarial internships. I also remember I had the impression that most actuaries are in the Northeast, though I might be completely off base on that.

Also, does anybody know if I should take the GRE, or are most Masters programs fine with the GMAT? I know that many say they accept it, but they always have preferences they don't like to announce.

What kind of actuary do you want to be? Most consulting jobs are in pensions, but that sector will decline hugely in the next 10-20 years.

Most life and P&C actuaries work for big insurance companies. Hartford, DesMoines and a few other spots like that are the hubs for those companies, but there are some scattered everywhere, e.g. USAA in west Texas. But generally there is some north east bias, as in most financial services.

I would have thought GRE is a better fit than GMAT, but I've never looked at the requirements for an actuarial masters.

So, today I officially applied for an early termination of service from the military. The process could take up to 12 months to complete, so I've got a lot of time to look around for work and take courses and learn new skills, but it's still a little nerve-wracking. I've wanted to do it for a while, I just had to stop procrastinating and do it or there would have always been some sensible reason to wait just one more month.

Do you know if I became an Actuary after getting a Master's degree, I'd be starting at entry level?

I understand that transitioning careers often involves a pay cut, but I'm wondering how severe.

It depends on whether you some relevant experience that allows you to do more than entry-level work. Career transitions are always tricky. You can look for a very specific role where you don't need to take much of a step backward, or you can have lots of possible roles available where you start from the bottom. How choosy can you be?

• 2 weeks later...

Any advice on interviewing for one job while applying for another with the same org? They're both internal; I'd prefer the second job, but it wasn't posted until well after I had applied for the first, and I still want the first if I can't get the second. It takes them a good while to process these things -- my interview for job 1 is next week, and I applied two months ago.

Ini,

This one is 100% timing. You could be screwed by timing if job 2 takes as long as job 1. If you interview for Job 1 this week and get an offer in the next couple of weeks you are not going to be able to wait two months to give them a decision if you wanted to wait for Job 2. The only thing you can really do is work the back channels on Job 2 to see if you can get some idea of:

1. Timing - is their recruiting cycle going to align with your decision timeline if you are to get an offer for Job 1? Hopefully they can move faster so you are interviewing for both jobs close to the same time.
  2. Interest - can you get any sense of how interested they are in you?

If you have assurances you would be a lock to get job 2 then bail on job 1 now. If you are not sure you probably want to go for job 1 if they make an offer. Why turn down a guaranteed offer for a chance at another job?

Liffguard:

Best of luck going forth. :-)

Ini:

Tough one.

I don't think you're obligated to disclose your application to position 2 during your interview with position 1. So go in and do the best you can, and don't borrow worry until it shows up. If they bring it up, you can easily say "since I cannot be sure that I will get this position, I decided to apply for position 2 as well, and really, it's for mostly the same reasons - I feel my current position is not promoting my professional growth any more and I am seeking new challenges in areas that I can contribute meaningfully. This position and the other position both offer those opportunities, although in different ways. I will be happy to have either offer."

And if it happens that you get offer to job 1 while job 2 is still in the process, then you will just have to make a calculated decision on whether it's worth the risk to decline.

In my org at minimum the recruiter usually knows if the employees are interviewing for multiple jobs. Usually bigger companies track applicants in a system so it is easy to see when someone is in process with multiple jobs. The recruiter/hr person may or may not disclose all the activity to both managers. We generally do let all the hiring managers know the status of the search. Each group is different but it is not a given that you can keep both groups unaware of the other.

It's not a secret. In fact both are under the same director. I am just wondering whether it's feasible to compete for both jobs under the circumstances.

Hard to advise here.  It seems very situational.  Could you chat with the director to share your thinking on this, or is the interview process managed more strictly than that?

On the plus side, you're showing motivation to move to his group and you're not creating an awkward competition with another group.  You applied for 1 before 2 was available.  It's OK to test which would be the best fit for you and this new group, but you want to be upfront about which is your preference and don't have them reject another candidate for the job you don't really want.

Best of luck with the interviews.

Archived