Careerchat

Inigima

interviewing for a job i have and am doing very well should be a hoot. i will do my absolute best to take the whole thing seriously. 

i am pretty excited about the company though. they have a pretty cool culture about them. the way they are expanding opens up huge avenues for me to move around or at the very least be involved in some openings of new properties all over the world. 

So, say one was applying for jobs, and had gone through several levels of interviews at several organizations, only to withdraw from consideration after accepting a postion at organization A. Now, after a short period of time, 6-8 weeks, a succession of increasingly alarming red flags at Org A are raised until the point where any future at Org A has become untenable. Is there any good way of potentially re-applying for a postion at Orginizations B, C, D, or E, where prospective position has not been filled?

MC - making people who are already in the role interview for their position is one of the biggest pet peeves I have. I've had division heads try to pull that policy on us in the past and I've fought it. It sends such a crappy message. Basically, all you've done for the company is discounted and the message is that it means nothing and you have management that cant take the time to analyze your results or even worse, has no metrics to reflect back on your performance. Total shit show :) . Anyway its happening regardless. A couple of things that I think are fair to ask before the interview

- Have them give you some sense of the areas they plan to discuss during the interview so you can compare.

- Ask them about what the tone of the interview will be? Explain that its unusual to have to interview for tha role you are already in and try to find out if this is just a case where they are following HR's defined process or if you need to go into this from the perspective of needing to win the job?

RRL - You can circle back around with the other employers and explain to them that the position you accepted is not working out due to the company environment. Its likely that if you left it on good terms with the other prospective employers they may be willing to revisit your candidacy. I cant tell you that when these cases come up I often ask myself and discuss with the hiring managers the candidates decision making ability. My conversations generally start off with " do we really want to revisit him/her at this point with the understanding that they are bailing on their new job after 6 weeks? Whats going to happen if everything does not go exactly as planned with us? Will they pull the same thing with us after a month or two?" 

We try to give people a clear picture of what to expect for their first 6 to 12 months so there are no surprises but its tough to cover everything. The other factor we consider is the career history. If the candidate has bounced around recently then my assumption is usually that there is something on the candidate side versus the employer.  Good luck!

Zelticgar, thanks for the feedback. This company portrays itself as cuddly and very people driven. Human resources is known as people services. But I am wary.

I will update my resume. Like a real interview I will arrive pressed, shaved and sharp. It all sits kind of strange though.

With luck I will be able to negotiate my salary. The old company had a 'this is it, take it or get fucked' salary negotiation policy.

interviewing for a job i have and am doing very well should be a hoot. i will do my absolute best to take the whole thing seriously. 

i am pretty excited about the company though. they have a pretty cool culture about them. the way they are expanding opens up huge avenues for me to move around or at the very least be involved in some openings of new properties all over the world.

By all means, do not snicker and become sarcastic during the interview. (I'm sure you know this, but still)

Smile a lot without looking sappy. (I've never seen you so I don't know if this is a worry.)

See if you can find out ahead of time who the interviewer is and what their style is. Has anyone else gone on their interview yet? they should be a source you can rape and pillage - I mean learn things from.

Be sincere and friendly! Tie your hair back if it's long.

All this would seem to be self-evident, but it never hurts to repeat it.

Try to find something in common with the interviewer, no matter how little you may actually HAVE in common.

If this actually **is** a real interview and not a done-deal, be prepared to show this person what you bring to the table (heh) and how valuable you are to them.  Don't take for granted they know your numbers.  It's amazing sometimes how little interviewers are prepared. 

I've made the mistake in the past by assuming the person interviewing me knew all the things the job entailed - you'd think so, right?? - only to find that the person who was hired hand-held the interviewer throughout the whole damn thing and [b] demonstrated [/b] what they actually did.

Be overprepared rather than under.  You won't be sorry. 

I'll be praying to the old gods and new that your interviewer is a death metal and craft beer fan! 

So, say one was applying for jobs, and had gone through several levels of interviews at several organizations, only to withdraw from consideration after accepting a postion at organization A. Now, after a short period of time, 6-8 weeks, a succession of increasingly alarming red flags at Org A are raised until the point where any future at Org A has become untenable. Is there any good way of potentially re-applying for a postion at Orginizations B, C, D, or E, where prospective position has not been filled?

Probably depends on the type of job/industry.  If you're an actor or tech, no biggie.  If you're a accountant, it'd probably signal some HUGE red flags.  That being said, you don't have much to lose by reaching out informally to B C D E, besides that you may be ineligible to work there for a couple years if they don't like what you did to firm A.   I knew a ton of people who went Countrywide because they offered good pay and inflated titles. Pretty much everyone was miserable going there (and knew it would be).  That sort of decision would weigh negatively on you.

One option if you haven't been there that long is to simply show it as a work gap and never mention the position on your resume or otherwise. 

So ... found out last night that I am interviewing tomorrow for a position with the potential client company that I mentioned a few days back. Been half a decade since I interviewed for anything, so feeling really rusty! And the 'meeting' is at a steakhouse. Now I really feel like a grown-up.

I'm going to be upfront about potential conflict, due to my involvement with the bid that my current employer is working on for this potential employer's jobs.

The main curve ball is that the interview is for a more senior position than I originally thought I would be interviewing for. Hopefully all goes well. I feel like I'm not that great at selling myself, as I've never seen much virtue in bragging. Gotta focus on letting that reluctance just slip away.

So ... found out last night that I am interviewing tomorrow for a position with the potential client company that I mentioned a few days back. Been half a decade since I interviewed for anything, so feeling really rusty! And the 'meeting' is at a steakhouse. Now I really feel like a grown-up.

I'm going to be upfront about potential conflict, due to my involvement with the bid that my current employer is working on for this potential employer's jobs.

The main curve ball is that the interview is for a more senior position than I originally thought I would be interviewing for. Hopefully all goes well. I feel like I'm not that great at selling myself, as I've never seen much virtue in bragging. Gotta focus on letting that reluctance just slip away.

Good luck, LoON! I think that prefacing any discussions with your comments about potential conflict is wise, and they will appreciate you being upfront. :)

PS - did you see that the antenna on top of the Trump Tower is swaying (1 metre in either direction) and they've closed down the intersection? You worked there didn't you. Maybe you shouldn't mention that.... :P

RRL - You can circle back around with the other employers and explain to them that the position you accepted is not working out due to the company environment. Its likely that if you left it on good terms with the other prospective employers they may be willing to revisit your candidacy. I cant tell you that when these cases come up I often ask myself and discuss with the hiring managers the candidates decision making ability. My conversations generally start off with " do we really want to revisit him/her at this point with the understanding that they are bailing on their new job after 6 weeks? Whats going to happen if everything does not go exactly as planned with us? Will they pull the same thing with us after a month or two?" 

We try to give people a clear picture of what to expect for their first 6 to 12 months so there are no surprises but its tough to cover everything. The other factor we consider is the career history. If the candidate has bounced around recently then my assumption is usually that there is something on the candidate side versus the employer.  Good luck!

Cool thanks! So, in your position, would you ask the candidate "What happened?" What other considerations would you take towards a candidate in this position?

For the record, the candidate is not myself, and the reasons for leaving are not at all related to any kind of performance expectations.

PS - did you see that the antenna on top of the Trump Tower is swaying (1 metre in either direction) and they've closed down the intersection? You worked there didn't you. Maybe you shouldn't mention that.... :P

Hah, yes. I was. This is literally the very first thing that came up in the meeting. 

I actually know the guy who was working on the spire the day before yesterday, and made the call that led to the closure, so it ended up being a well received story. The whole thing was blown way out of proportion, as evidenced by the fact that engineers just deemed it perfectly safe an hour or so ago.

By all means, do not snicker and become sarcastic during the interview. (I'm sure you know this, but still)

Smile a lot without looking sappy. (I've never seen you so I don't know if this is a worry.)

See if you can find out ahead of time who the interviewer is and what their style is. Has anyone else gone on their interview yet? they should be a source you can rape and pillage - I mean learn things from.

Be sincere and friendly! Tie your hair back if it's long.

All this would seem to be self-evident, but it never hurts to repeat it.

Try to find something in common with the interviewer, no matter how little you may actually HAVE in common.

If this actually **is** a real interview and not a done-deal, be prepared to show this person what you bring to the table (heh) and how valuable you are to them.  Don't take for granted they know your numbers.  It's amazing sometimes how little interviewers are prepared. 

I've made the mistake in the past by assuming the person interviewing me knew all the things the job entailed - you'd think so, right?? - only to find that the person who was hired hand-held the interviewer throughout the whole damn thing and demonstrated what they actually did.

Be overprepared rather than under.  You won't be sorry. 

I'll be praying to the old gods and new that your interviewer is a death metal and craft beer fan! 

thanks for the tips!

i always have my hair back at work actually. haha. today i finished up my resume to hand off to my potential new overlords. my wife was a huge help in getting it organized. she went as far as to offer up some good things to speak about in an interview.

there is not a question about whether i am good at my job. my numbers and the people are proof of it. word is the only thing that will prevent someone from getting a job is 'if they don't fit the culture.' that is a huge worry for me. i am very self sufficient. i am kind of gruff and strange. to be in a interview and have to sell them who i am might be hard for me. 

Just got a call inviting me to a second interview. While I'm happy that they are still interested in hiring me, I hate second interviews. I've already talked to them. Why do I need to do that again? Being interviewed like that is no fun at all. *grumbles*

In my (limited) experience, the first interview tends to be HR and somebody from midlevel, whilst a second interview frequently involves a more senior member of staff being brought in to the process.

Cool thanks! So, in your position, would you ask the candidate "What happened?" What other considerations would you take towards a candidate in this position?

For the record, the candidate is not myself, and the reasons for leaving are not at all related to any kind of performance expectations.

Sure, I usually ask the candidate to walk me through the events that have transpired since we last spoke. I would listen and then ask them what steps they have taken to fix whatever problems they perceive to exist. I  want to know if they have put in any effort to help fix the problems or if they are just running away. I'm also looking to see if the story is really a case of a mismatch or bad hire by the company.

Archived