MMA & Boxing (v16)- Get it together, man.

Ramsay B.

RDA is horribly, horribly, underrated imho. If the guy who beat Pettis keeps showing up, that is going to be a tough one to dethrone. The money had RDA as a two to one favourite, but it seemed like most fans and analysts had cowboy taking that fight. I don't get that. I love cowboy, and my heart wanted him to win, but my head knew that wasn't going to happen. I heard some talk of RDA getting a "fluke" win over Pettis to take the belt. That's madness. McGregor/Aldo could be a fluke (not saying it is, saying could be). Five rounds of slick technical and physical dominance against one of the best isn't a fluke. It's scary to behold.

I hope they give Ferguson the shot. That's another guy in the division who is sinfully underrated in my eyes and has been for some time. He's impressed me right out the gate. That would be a crazy fight. Loved Ferguson/Barboza!

He also KOd Benson in the first round prior to destroying Pettis, that was no fluke either. Cordeiro has turned him into a monster on the feet, and his dominance on the ground speaks for itself. The reason I think so many morons (fans/media) were picking Cowboy is that there was rampant and baseless speculation that RDA was juicing which allowed him to beat Pettis and the thinking was that he was off it due to USADA testing. Even guys like Chuck Mindenhall were claiming that RDA looked less muscular than the Pettis fight. Of course he didn't but the double standard for Brazilian fighters is relentless. 

I was just surprised, being new to watching that division, how easily Cerrone got slaughtered.

I mean, what was that, that was worse than what happened to Aldo.

Aldo just got caught by one bad punch right out of the gate. Cerrone just stood there taking a massive beating, completely hopeless performance. Presumably he is actually a decent fighter based on the past, but that was terrible.

The co-main between Overeem and Dos Santos, no #2 ranked even, was also a disappointment, despite a fine knockout.

Still, phenomenal fight from Nate Diaz, so enjoyed watching that. I have to think he will be crushed by a better fighter though, he took a lot of risks that Johnson could not capitalize on. But he has great style to watch. I think Conor would take him though. Not so sure how Conor would deal with Dos Anjos though, I think he'd find that very, very tough. Cerrone would probably get destroyed by McGregor as well.

So I hope that is what is being rumoured happens, McGregor to fight Dos Anjos first and then Edgar for the featherweight belt.

Yeah, the Diaz fight was the best of the night by far and I can't stand that guy. I expected more from Cerrone. I have seen him fight several times and this just didn't look like him, something was off. Would definitely buy a McGregor Dos Anjos PPV fight.

I don't know what you expect Cowboy to do in that situation, he got hit by a monstrous knee to the liver 30 seconds in. We know it's a weakness from the Pettis-Cerrone fight, his body shut down, it was pretty much over at that point. RDA knew exactly what to do and he set up that knee very well, Cowboy tried to hide it but you can see in the replay he was hurt bad and after the follow up kick to the body he could do nothing but capitulate. 

Cerrone is a monster who just, every so often, and unfortunately for him, usually at the time of his title shot, doesn't get going fast enough and gets taken out by one of the division's best.

Mark my words. That man will go on another brutally dominant eight fight win streak, but then in a championship fight or number one contender's match, will get beaten down. Rinse and repeat for a career. He'll be one of the most loved and highest paid fighters to never win UFC gold.

If you want to see why Cerrone was so highly regarded, just watch his last eight fights. In fact, watch just about any fight against people not named Pettis, Dos Anjos, Diaz (remember him!) or Henderson (and even in a couple of those, he showed slick skills), and you'll get the picture. A great fighter.

Just not right now RDA great. I'm sorry, but I'll call it now, that man slaughter's McGregor. I suspect McGregor and the UFC both decide the fight just isn't financially worth it. Conor's got money fights to make, not beatings to take.

McGregor has to feel that this is his massive challenge though.

This would be a tremendous matchup for him, and yes, he could get crushed here by Dos Anjos, who's a real weapon.

We all want to see that fight, so let's have it already. And McGregor vs Edgar as well.

I don't think McGregor would think that Dos Anjos is not a fight he wants, to the contrary in fact, he'll want it badly. So it will happen. Question is, will he fight Edgar first.

BTW for those asking about what Glory is, this is a link to the most recent fight from Verhoeven.

It's a short one. Fight starts at 7 minutes in the video.

I do wonder how he would in MMA but I'm not sure it's desirable that he makes the transition at all.

I do believe he beat Overeem, who just ko'd out Dos Santos.

Does anyone know how to fucking delete the "Gears of the Beast" quote above? I've tried highlighting and clicking my delete key and it doesn't work. Alos there doesn't appear to be an option to delete a post draft anywhere. WTF?

Anyway, what I wanted to post was about Anderson Silvia. He's only lost to Weidman, so I don't see why they would write him off. He can't be that far away from a shot a Rockhold. I don't like his chances there but give the greatest MW of all times a little respect. 

I didn't say I liked his chances against Rockhold. I just said I think he's earned it. 

I understand, but I am just saying why they write him off. When he was champ, a large part of his success was that his lateral quickness allowed him to stay several steps ahead on his feet. Anderson no longer has that advantage. It's really not so strange that people are writing him off.

It's also somewhat of an elephant in the room kind of topic, but when Anderson was the champ, his competition was not exactly stellar. Sure you had Henderson or Franklin now and then, but it was hardly the murderers row that you see right now in the division.

Anybody else salivating for Lawler/Condit?

If that doesn't end up being a scrap, I'll be shocked.

It is also a rare title fight where I can't picture a favourite and would be equally happy with either guy winning. Two of my favourites.

Anybody else salivating for Lawler/Condit?

If that doesn't end up being a scrap, I'll be shocked.

It is also a rare title fight where I can't picture a favourite and would be equally happy with either guy winning. Two of my favourites.

Yes I am also salivating. Although I like Condit wayyyy more than Lawler, I think Lawler is going to win. My thinking is similar to my thinking prior to Weidman vs Rockhold - my brain is saying the challenger has the skills to win the fight as I see it playing out. But my gut tells me the champ is going to find someone way to win (either by shit decision e.g. Hendricks 2) or simply by raw ferocity, determination and championship heart. I was wrong about Weidman Rockhold, let's hope I'm wrong again. 

Not sure what you mean by "stuck in the mud" ...

McGregor's notorious putdown of the toughest division in the sport at the Go Big presser. 

If he's bigger he disses their height. If he's smaller he disses their speed.

If they're human and not named Ronda Rousey he disses their earning power.

Archived