MMA & Boxing (v16)- Get it together, man.

Ramsay B.

Damn what a great weekend of fights. UFC 189 is going down as the best UFC ever. Every single fight (on the main card, the prelims weren't great) was a back and forth battle that ended in a stunning finish. Great stuff.

So happy Conner won. The only problem was Mendes got the takedowns fairly easily and was able to control Conner on the ground. It looked like we were on our way to 5 round decision snoozefest. Mendes seemed like he was waiting for the round to be over and Conner caught him resting. I'm not taking anything away from him or his victory, but his wrestling is still a concern.

Exactly. You know Frankie Edgar started salivating when he saw McGregor trying to talk the ref into standing them up. McGregor won, and legitimately beat an elite wrestler; his supposed kryptonite. But he did not look like the invincible force he markets himself as.

That's not a knock on him. One of my buddies stated how Conor had backed up all his claims. I had to point out that that was not so. While Conor has proven himself elite, and title shot worthy, nobody ever living or to come is or will be as good as McGregor claims to be.

Also. Fuck McGregor's suits. I've watched a lot of promotional material before this fight, and it dawned on me while watching embedded the day before the fight that I had seen way, way, too much footage of Conor McGregor trying on suits and checking himself out in suits. Fuck his suits.

But then, I found myself split on who to root for in his fight Saturday because fuck Mendes' "Merica" walk out music.

Everybody watching the fights was worried after the first round of Lawler/McDonald that it was going to be one of those weird too much respect and a whole lot of looking at each other fights, but wow, did that ever change quick. Would have loved another Canuck ww champ, but Lawler is just about the only guy in the division I can think of that I was split on who to root for. Great fight by both. Crazy.

Word is that Conor tore his MCL before the fight. So stopping 3 out of 7 takedowns with a messed up knee isnt too bad.

Should be a fun time watching Conor and Faber back and forth coaching TUF.

I think Rory will be wearing that belt eventually. That was such a great fight. That stare down after the 4th round was epic.

Exactly. You know Frankie Edgar started salivating when he saw McGregor trying to talk the ref into standing them up. McGregor won, and legitimately beat an elite wrestler; his supposed kryptonite. But he did not look like the invincible force he markets himself as.

That's not a knock on him. One of my buddies stated how Conor had backed up all his claims. I had to point out that that was not so. While Conor has proven himself elite, and title shot worthy, nobody ever living or to come is or will be as good as McGregor claims to be.

Before the fight, I heard that Conor tried betting Dana White 3 million dollars that he would KO Mendes in the second round. Dana wouldn't take the bet, of course. Still, holy fuck it's creepy how accurate his predictions are.

Everybody watching the fights was worried after the first round of Lawler/McDonald that it was going to be one of those weird too much respect and a whole lot of looking at each other fights, but wow, did that ever change quick. Would have loved another Canuck ww champ, but Lawler is just about the only guy in the division I can think of that I was split on who to root for. Great fight by both. Crazy.

Yeah I was concerned about that too. I actually dozed off in the middle of the first round and jolted awake in the second to see Rory wearing a red mask.

I haven't seen it yet, coz I was watching Frampton, but fair play, that's the first time I've been impressed by something he's done so far.

Frampton had a tougher than expected night against a far better than advertised opponent. Came out a bit sloppy and went down twice in the first, but recalibrated and took over from there, though he didn't look quite as sharp as normal. Apparently had a bit of an issue making weight and may move up a division.

Wow, can't believe Crolla hasn't won after Perez was docked two points for low blows. Strange one. It would have been a real feel good story as well after all the stuff he's gone through.

I missed the start of the Frampton fight but, yeah, perhaps not as impressive as Quigg's win but sounds like it was a good fight.

Should be a fun time watching Conor and Faber back and forth coaching TUF.

Without the promise of them fighting at the end I'm not sure how enticing that will be. I'm sure they will put on a great show but it will be lacking.

If Fedor does indeed come back, and signs with the UFC (what, I can dream can't I?), Mir would be a great first fight for him imho.

No way Fedor comes to the UFC. Not with the limitation on sponsorships. More likely he will go to Bellator where Cocker would be more likely to co-promote with M1. Kimbo v Fedor, who's in?  :-p

Yeah, I know. All of the old reasons Fedor didn't sign with the UFC would probably remain, plus add in Fox and Reebok constraints to boot. Still. There were some serious talks before Fedor's father died of him coming in and Brock Lesnar to return for that fight, so perhaps it isn't absolutely impossible.

For sure, if Fedor came back with Bellator, him vs. Kimbo would be the money fight and therefore is what I suspect Bellator would do. I think Fedor vs. Kongo or another of the serious heavy weights over there would be more appealing and legitimate, personally. I mean, does anybody not think Fedor would basically tool Kimbo?

Yeah, I can't really see Fedor signing with the UFC, but I would love if he did. He's got a relationship with Coker already, so I would guess it's gonna be Bellator. Is the M-1 must co promote thing still a thing?

Man it would be really depressing to see Fedor come back to fight someone as terrible as Kimbo. I don't think sponsorship is a hindrance to Fedor signing with the UFC at all, they can throw large amounts of money at him. It's true he has a good relationship with Coker and a bad relationship with the UFC but from what I hear a deal with the UFC is still very possible.   

Yeah, I can't really see Fedor signing with the UFC, but I would love if he did. He's got a relationship with Coker already, so I would guess it's gonna be Bellator. Is the M-1 must co promote thing still a thing?

Fedor is a co-owner of M-1, so yeah, it's still a thing. 

Archived