College Football 2015: OSU, The Three-Headed Dragon

The Rice game wasn't that bad.  Living in Austin I get the Longhorn Network as part of my cable package and my girlfriend is a UT alum, so I'm on the hook for watching the 'Horns.

I think in college football there is a tendency to only look at the negative of your team than to concede that the other team might have played well.  Rice isn't a traditional powerhouse or anything but that was not a bad football team that I watched on Saturday.  Their RB is good, their QB is good.  They had some turnovers that Texas capitalized on and that is what cost them the game, despite playing well and putting up good numbers.  But that is what good teams do.  They make the other team pay for its mistakes and Texas did that very well.  

Two of Rice's TD's were in the 4th Q when they were already down 42-14.  Texas looked A LOT better this week than last.  Whether or not it'll be enough to carry them through the conference schedule and a bowl game remains to be seen.  In the preseason basically nobody predicted Texas would beat ND and most would have said they'd be 1-1 after two weeks of play.  That's exactly where they are and now they have the right guy playing QB.  I wouldn't jump ship on Strong just yet.

The Rice game wasn't that bad.  Living in Austin I get the Longhorn Network as part of my cable package and my girlfriend is a UT alum, so I'm on the hook for watching the 'Horns.

I think in college football there is a tendency to only look at the negative of your team than to concede that the other team might have played well.  Rice isn't a traditional powerhouse or anything but that was not a bad football team that I watched on Saturday.  Their RB is good, their QB is good.  They had some turnovers that Texas capitalized on and that is what cost them the game, despite playing well and putting up good numbers.  But that is what good teams do.  They make the other team pay for its mistakes and Texas did that very well.  

Two of Rice's TD's were in the 4th Q when they were already down 42-14.  Texas looked A LOT better this week than last.  Whether or not it'll be enough to carry them through the conference schedule and a bowl game remains to be seen.  In the preseason basically nobody predicted Texas would beat ND and most would have said they'd be 1-1 after two weeks of play.  That's exactly where they are and now they have the right guy playing QB.  I wouldn't jump ship on Strong just yet.

It's not so much that they're losing, it's what's happening that is troubling.  They played multiple special teams plays week 1 with only 10 players on the field. When you can't even get the right amount of guys on the field is what makes you worry.

It's not so much that they're losing, it's what's happening that is troubling.  They played multiple special teams plays week 1 with only 10 players on the field. When you can't even get the right amount of guys on the field is what makes you worry.

Yea they were absolutely unprepared for their visit to South Bend and they looked like shit.  No argument there.  We know Texas has talent, so I expected them to at least look like they had their act together out there even though I thought they'd lose, but they looked completely inept.  

But the second game was a lot better.  One bad game shouldn't be the end of the world.  They are playing a lot of young guys and they will struggle this season, but I do think they will get better.  I debate this with my girlfriend all the time, a lot UT fans expect to beat everyone 100-0 because of the name on the jersey, but parity has been with us for some time now.  If you don't have a good scheme and a good plan, you are likely going to lose if you come into contact with another P5 team that does have it together.  UT doesn't just get to beat teams like Baylor and TCU anymore simply because that's what they always have done.  They don't get to coast to 9 wins at minimum based on talent gap alone.  Other teams have caught up.  I think UT fans are still adjusting to that.

I'll be curious to see.  I think it depends on how the rest of the season goes.  Longhorn football fans strike me as having the same level of patience as UK basketball fans before heads must roll. 

Was texting a UofL friend of mine and he thinks Strong will finish this year and next and then be hired by UK. (Assume the implication is that Stoops would get a promotion somewhere.)

Was texting a UofL friend of mine and he thinks Strong will finish this year and next and then be hired by UK. (Assume the implication is that Stoops would get a promotion somewhere.)

Possibly Stoops gets promoted to Texas in a coach swap?   :stillsick:

I think it'll be a few more years than that before Stoops moves on.  We've won 2 games and people are acting like we're in the Rose Bowl.  Of course, presuming he does take a bigger-name job in 2 years I suppose that could only mean good things for UK in the interim.

I know Texas has the name, the brand, the tradition, the state loaded with recruits, but in my mind they haven't been a dynasty. Maybe when Vince Young was there and up to 2010 they were a force. I just, in my mind, never thought Texas was a National Championship contender year in, year out. Hell, growing up in the 80's and 90's they weren't anything special.

Should Texas be a perennial powerhouse? Yes. Are they really? IMHO, no.They had a few good 2-3 year stretches, but they never established anything like 90's Miami/Nebraska, 00-06 USC and 08-present Bama. Really and I'm not trying to be an ass, its an inflated opinion Texas has of themselves. They wanna say they have a dynasty, but I just don't see it. You have to respect them and know that with the talent they amass, they can be unstoppable any year. More often than not though, they fail to meet those expectations.

I cannot see how you can be talking about firing your coach in year two. Its unrealistic to think that he has his personel, and this is the team he truly wants to field. It takes 3-4 years for this to happen. Unless you walk into the perfect situation. And Strong did not, as I've seen many point out on here.

Relax Texas, give the man the opportunity he deserves. This isn't basketball where u can get one elite player and 4-5 decent ones and compete for a National title. Football is the embodiment of team sports, and you will not win without a TEAM.

Someone called into Kentucky Sports Radio today with the age old question, "How would Kentucky do in the Big Ten?" Normally, they don't engage in things like that, but they decided to work through how Kentucky would do playing tOSU's schedule this year. Here's what they came up with:

At VaTech L
Home Hawaii W
Home NIU W
Home W Michigan W
At Indiana W
Home Maryland W
Home Penn St W (Just lost to Temple)
At Rutgers W
Home Minnesota W (Acknowledge Minn to be on the up, but game is at home gives nudge to UK.)
At Illinois W
Home MSU L
At Michigan L

So just working through it they came up with 9-3, and as bizarre as it sounds... I can't disagree. Which doesn't say much for tOSU's schedule.

Kentucky would not be 9-3 on that schedule. There are a lot of coin flips you're just chalking up as wins.  The SEC East is no better than a Big 10 schedule, yet Kentucky has not managed to get bowl eligible playing that. That looks like a 5-7 to 7-5 for Kentucky on that schedule.

Kentucky would not be 9-3 on that schedule. There are a lot of coin flips you're just chalking up as wins.  The SEC East is no better than a Big 10 schedule, yet Kentucky has not managed to get bowl eligible playing that. That looks like a 5-7 to 7-5 for Kentucky on that schedule.

I might make Maryland and Minnesota coinflips, but I don't know that I would say its a lot of coinflips.

Anyways, all hypothetical. What's not hypothetical is that if UK wants to break this 30 year streak of losing to Florida, it has to happen this weekend. Next year is at the Swamp and even an improving UK team can't realistically expect to win that one and then in two years I expect Florida to be Florida again. :(

Someone called into Kentucky Sports Radio today with the age old question, "How would Kentucky do in the Big Ten?" Normally, they don't engage in things like that, but they decided to work through how Kentucky would do playing tOSU's schedule this year. Here's what they came up with:

At VaTech L
Home Hawaii W
Home NIU W
Home W Michigan W
At Indiana W
Home Maryland W
Home Penn St W (Just lost to Temple)
At Rutgers W
Home Minnesota W (Acknowledge Minn to be on the up, but game is at home gives nudge to UK.)
At Illinois W
Home MSU L
At Michigan L

So just working through it they came up with 9-3, and as bizarre as it sounds... I can't disagree. Which doesn't say much for tOSU's schedule.

Last year, Indiana won at Missouri if I remember correctly. If Kentucky is a below average SEC team, they would be lucky if this would be 9-3 for them. More like 6-6.

I might make Maryland and Minnesota coinflips, but I don't know that I would say its a lot of coinflips.

Anyways, all hypothetical. What's not hypothetical is that if UK wants to break this 30 year streak of losing to Florida, it has to happen this weekend. Next year is at the Swamp and even an improving UK team can't realistically expect to win that one and then in two years I expect Florida to be Florida again. :(

It is certainly all hypothetical, but I'm just saying if you look at that schedule and say 9-3, your expectations are just unrealistic.

I want Kentucky to succeed because of the Stoops connection, but if you're hoping for more than bowl eligiblity you're in for a rude awakening.

Archived