College Football 2015: OSU, The Three-Headed Dragon

He broke the school single-game all purpose yards record tonight. I haven't checked in several weeks, but I wonder if he still has a shot to break  Barry Sanders' single season yards record, thereby creating a situation where the only person who can save Barry Sanders' record is is his son, Barry Sanders.

Heisman is down to 4: Derrick Henry, Baker Mayfield, Deshaun Watson, and Christian McAffrey. Mayfield is hurt by only having one game left, while McAffrey is hurt by not being in playoff contention.  Obviously any of these guys is eliminated with a bad game or a loss.

That was bad offense, watching the same plays fail the same ways down after down.  Ezekiel Elliot publically blasted the play calling after the game then announced he wasn't going to be returning for his senior year.  It was pretty classless but I agree with his complaints.  

At least the Gophers won today.  It was nice to see that team finally get a win after playing so well in some close games with great competition.   

Elliot wouldn't be playing another down for me after that, were I Urban Meyer.

Anyone else already fucking sick of the Jimmy Kimmel New Years' Day bowl games commercial? Talk about overkill.

I love the young woman who gets to have a threeway with the UCLA bruin and lady bruin. 

Elliot wouldn't be playing another down for me after that, were I Urban Meyer.

Me too.  I couldn't let that slide if I were in charge.  I guess the only saving grace is Elliot has done well academically and has been, up to this point, a positive leader on the team.  We'll see what kind of team takes the field in Ann Arbor.  With bruised egos and this discord, I can't see this Saturday going well.   The Wolverines are in prime condition to disembowel them.  I hope I'm wrong...

Me too.  I couldn't let that slide if I were in charge. 

Totally the opposite. You don't let it slide if he's been a problem. If he's one of the leaders of your team and one of the people everyone looks up to, you don't punish someone for being a good leader and saying something is a problem. 

The best way to find out that something is wrong with your organization is to make sure that the people in it have a voice. The best way to make something wrong with your organization is to make sure that the people in it don't.

The outrage over Elliot is ridiculous.  He said two factually correct things, the playcalling sucked and he's going pro, and we're going to rip the kid for that?  Meyer handled the situation perfectly, saying that the comments were correct, the forum was not.

The funny thing is that his comments clearly show that he does care about the team, since if he had mailed it in and was just thinking about the draft he'd probably be pleased to get out of there with a light workload and not have to worry about a championship game or playoffs either.

I disagree.  Urban Meyer coached the team to a 23 game win streak including a national title.  Ohio State is 31-2 in the B1G since Meyer took over and until Saturday the Buckeyes had not lost a conference game in two years.  I'd like to think that coach knows what he's doing, whether Elliot likes it or not.  But as soon as they lose a game this this kid is crying and whining and announcing that he's going to take his ball and leave?  The kid who only managed 33 yards on 12 carries and was nursing a leg infection the week before?  Yes, give him the ball more, he's been averaging 2.8 yards a carry, that'll show Sparty.  

It's pretty well documented that Meyer lost control of the team at Florida.  I'd be punishing public dissent, if I were him.  Keep it in the meetings, that's fine, but he was out of line. 

I disagree.  Urban Meyer coached the team to a 23 game win streak including a national title.  Ohio State is 31-2 in the B1G since Meyer took over and until Saturday the Buckeyes had not lost a conference game in two years.  I'd like to think that coach knows what he's doing, whether Elliot likes it or not.  But as soon as they lose a game this this kid is crying and whining and announcing that he's going to take his ball and leave?  The kid who only managed 33 yards on 12 carries and was nursing a leg infection the week before?  Yes, give him the ball more, he's been averaging 2.8 yards a carry, that'll show Sparty.  

It's pretty well documented that Meyer lost control of the team at Florida.  I'd be punishing public dissent, if I were him.  Keep it in the meetings, that's fine, but he was out of line. 

He was out of line for taking it public. You tell him he was out of line, he learns his lesson and you move on. This is such a trivial "offense" and people are acting like he should be removed from the program.

So I've read that LSU wants to make a play for Jimbo.  Can anyone tell me what the draw is for Jimbo at LSU over FSU?  Seems to me like he would have similar recruiting grounds, but one would have a significantly easier route to the playoffs...

So I've read that LSU wants to make a play for Jimbo.  Can anyone tell me what the draw is for Jimbo at LSU over FSU?  Seems to me like he would have similar recruiting grounds, but one would have a significantly easier route to the playoffs...

Maybe.  The SEC is rarely better than any other conference, yet gets absolute benefit of the doubt in any tiebreaker. Alabama has had a significantly easier path to the playoff than Clemson, for example.

There was a guy on the radio today (I think it was Chris Lowe from ESPN) talking about how Florida State, despite what we are led to believe, isn't the best place to coach. His quote was something like, "Just because Bobby Bowden and Jimbo have been good coaches, they have made Florida State look better than it is." 

Apparently big money boosters are much fewer and far between at FSU. He talked about how its really hard there to come up with donations to build stuff like good practice facilities and whatnot. There was also a quote that went something like, "It's not the easiest place to recruit either, because everyone you want to recruit out of Florida has to drive through Gainesville to get to Tallahassee."

Those arguments, if factual, would make LSU more attractive over FSU, I think.

Maybe.  The SEC is rarely better than any other conference, yet gets absolute benefit of the doubt in any tiebreaker. Alabama has had a significantly easier path to the playoff than Clemson, for example.

Not remotely true. Clemson has had two hard games and otherwise has been a cakewalk. Alabama has beaten 7 teams that are going bowling. While LSU looks like a tire fire now, they were amazing a few weeks ago. 

Clemson has beaten 5 teams going bowling, and their best two wins are significantly better than anything Alabama has. And LSU has been a tire fire all year, they were just propped up by the typical awful SEC schedule. Clemson will face a much better opponent in the ACC championship game than Bama will in the SEC.

The SEC is a complete fraud.

I don't know about all this Jimbo to LSU stuff.  To be honest I am not all that convinced that Fisher is an elite coach.  As a fellow West Virginian I should have his back, but I feel like he is an excellent recruiter but not necessarily an excellent coach.  FSU can simply out-talent every single team in their conference, save perhaps Miami who they have other advantages over.  

You don't necessarily need a great coach to put yourself in a good position every year when your talent is better than everyone else in the conference, you just need an adequate one and that is what Fisher is.  A win is a win, but FSU is no stranger to close calls against inferior opponents and I'm not convinced that FSU doesn't get their ass handed to them a couple times a season if they didn't play in the ACC.

I fail to see how he is the guy to take LSU to the next level when LSU plays  in a harder conference and division than FSU does and when recruiting has never been the problem at LSU.  Ditching Miles for Fisher looks like a lateral move to me.

Clemson has beaten 5 teams going bowling, and their best two wins are significantly better than anything Alabama has. And LSU has been a tire fire all year, they were just propped up by the typical awful SEC schedule. Clemson will face a much better opponent in the ACC championship game than Bama will in the SEC.

The SEC is a complete fraud.

Alabama doesn't remotely look like a fraud.

Also, Oklahoma got beat by Texas.

Lsu has not been a tire fire all year. Any more than Oklahoma was when they lost to Texas.

Alabama doesn't remotely look like a fraud.

Also, Oklahoma got beat by Texas.

Lsu has not been a tire fire all year. Any more than Oklahoma was when they lost to Texas.

Alabama is what it always is.  A team that's built to beat SEC-style teams.  If they get to face Michigan State and Notre Dame in the playoff, they'll cruise. If they face Oklahoma and Clemson, they're in trouble.

Not sure what Oklahoma losing to Texas has to do with the price of tea in China.  It was a terrible loss. They've played really well since then, and put themselves in a position to go to the playoff.

LSU has been the same all year, one of the most one dimensional teams I've ever seen.  They played the toughest competition on their schedule the last 3 weeks and have gotten slaughtered.

Archived