College Football 2015: OSU, The Three-Headed Dragon

Scott Frost to UCF.  That's a great move for both parties. That's a place you can win at, and will be a nice stepping stone if he does succeed.

I know OU reached out to Frost about becoming the OU offensive coordinator last season, although he obvioulsy declined.

Quick question for the stat heads like Kal, is there a VORC stat? Value Over Replacement Coordinator? I feel like Odom would be top in the country in such a stat, just as Pellum would be last.

There is, but it's not a publicly accessible one. There's one that evaluates coaches and how well they're doing in that way. 

Pellum probably isn't last - Oregon did pretty well against Stanford and USC after all - but man. MAN. Ugh. 

I have mixed feelings about Frost leaving. Many times his offense was off the hook awesome, and then there were times we'd line up in the wildcat on the goal line and lose 10 because we're awesome that way. Frost seems like he's going to be incredible if he can get a good passer, and really really bad if he can't. 

Out of curiosity, since college football went to a 12 game regular season, how many FBS teams have gone 12 and 0?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_undefeated_NCAA_Division_I_football_teams

That link wouldn't count those that went undefeated in the regular season but lost their bowl, but several teams have gone 12-0 or better over the years.  Yale went 16-0 in 1894 and Penn went 14-0 the next year!  Since 2006 

Yea and WVU only recently recovered from that Pat White endorsement after the Fiesta Bowl.  Stewart was a very nice man, but a mediocre coach and was not good at landing recruiting classes.  I was reading an article on a WVU site recently about some of our recruiting classes during the Stewart era and there was one where only like 3 guys actually played a down for the Mountaineers.  The class rankings under Stew were consistent with what you'd expect at WVU and he did bring in some pretty stellar players but there were so many non-qualifiers and no-shows that it killed the depth.  There was no depth.  It's why I give Holgorsen a bit of a pass for some of the beatings WVU has taken in the Big 12 early on.  He was able to make the most of his players when he had Bailey, Austin, and Smith but three good players and no depth (or defense) is not going to cut it in the grind of a tough conference.  This is the first year under Holgorsen that we have had good depth and despite a rough October the depth has shown in this being the first Holgs WVU team to not collapse down the stretch.  If WVU beats KSU this weekend he'll end the regular season on a 5 game winning streak with a chance at a 9 win season and that is the best result since the year that WVU pounded Clemson in the Orange bowl.

Of course USC is in a better position to have that kind of hire where the guy is basically a temporary fix but with an opportunity to prove himself.  I never want to see that happen again at WVU though.  Legit coaching searches only and the players don't get any input.

My feelings exactly. S Jon after that Fiesta Bowl when obliterated Oklahoma and White endorsed Stewart, I knew he'd be our coach. And was extremely pissed to say the least.

You know, if we beat K State this has been a decent season. Won every game we should have and lmost to OK State when we gave that game away. I feel much better about our program then I did 5 weeks ago. But, I know i sound like a broken record, but we need a legit passing QB. Dont get me wrong, I love are running game an glad Holgs has brought that back. WVU has always had top tier RB's. Just to compete and beat the big dogs of the BIG12, we need a QB who can air it out. Fingers crossed. Only QB commitment we have at the moment is Tyhree Pratt from Charleston, WV (Capital H.SS). He's a stud, with a strong arm and 4.4 speed. He's raw, but a gifted athlete and who will most likely be red-shirted. 

The defense is what scares me next year, as we basically lose everyone. So we will have to points on the board to win games. I do have some optimism the direction we're heading in.

Richt has agreed to coach Georgia in their bowl, correct?

I have not looked at the match ups for ACC/SEC schools.  Is there any chance at all that Georgia could be matched with Miami for a bowl?

Year one of Harbaugh at Michigan went well. Reasonable fans expected to lose against MSU and OSU, almost beat one. Curious to see what recruits Michigan lands after seeing the impact the coaching staff has had on the team. There are a lot of senior starters so I could see a drop off next year.

Losing DJ Durkin to Maryland could be a huge loss, one that I have been worried about for the last few weeks now. I am scared that a large part of the huge improvement on defense was due to him.

Richt has agreed to coach Georgia in their bowl, correct?

I have not looked at the match ups for ACC/SEC schools.  Is there any chance at all that Georgia could be matched with Miami for a bowl?

Ha! I hadn't thought of that before but it's very possible. ACC and SEC have 4 potential lower-tier bowl matchups. Surely those in charge of bowl selection wouldn't do such a thing? It'd be awesome if they did, though. :devil:

Missouri hired Odom!

Great news, imo.

You all should read spencer halls article on Iowa and wazzu btw, just read it, it's awesome.

On the recent solid verbal they were talking about top five jobs and casually mentioned Georgia was one of the top five jobs in college football. I don't think so, I'd say the top five jobs are (not in order)

Usc

Michigan

Oklahoma

Alabama

Norte dame

Georgia is probably a top twenty job, but top five is kind of an absurd claim.

Round out the top ten with Ohio st, Miami, Oregon, Florida st, and Texas/Nebraska (I have. Them tied for 10th) then you have the 10-20 range populated with all the second tier sec jobs, Georgia, Florida, auburn, Tennessee, lsu, South Carolina, Texas a &m

I'm curious why you would make Florida State and Miami as better jobs than Florida. 

One of the reasons I often saw listed as a reason Jimbo would be willing to leave FSU for LSU is that FSU doesn't have a commitment to facilities on par with other top jobs and that "recruits have to pass through Gainesville to reach Tallahassee." 

As far as I'd go, here'd be my top 5:

1. Ohio State
  2. USC
  3. Notre Dame
  4. Alabama
  5. Texas

Texas was the one I waffle on, but they've got such a crazy amount of money that it's hard to say no to them. I don't think Oklahoma is in the same league as Texas as far as a destination school for a new coach. 

Florida State has problems with funding. Miami is a huge dumpster fire that basically has the 80s as their reason for being at all good; the stadium is horrible, the facilities suck and the boosters are bad. FSU also has problems with funding and boosters. Florida suffers from being in the same state as FSU and Miami, though they're pretty close. Georgia doesn't have the recruiting base that the other places mentioned do. 

Archived