College Football 2015: OSU, The Three-Headed Dragon

It doesn't have as good a base as Ohio State, USC, Texas or Notre Dame do. And it is a bit racist to basically rank recruiting for football based on african americans, no? 

Really? We're going to pretend that African-American populations don't produce high level football players at a signficantly higher rate than other races? Doesn't really matter whether it's a genetic or cultural thing, it's the truth.

And there were double the number of 4 or 5 star recruits in the state of Georgia this year than Ohio.

Really? We're going to pretend that African-American populations don't produce high level football players at a signficantly higher rate than other races? Doesn't really matter whether it's a genetic or cultural thing, it's the truth.

And there were double the number of 4 or 5 star recruits in the state of Georgia this year than Ohio.

Well, for starters percentages doesn't matter as much as actual people. Texas has a lower percentage, but they have significantly more recruiting stars overall. Big math problem there. 

And yeah, I think that it might be a lot better to look at regional stars instead of percentage of black population, because again, yes, we are going to pretend that how many African American populations produce football doesn't really matter. What matters a lot more, as it turns out, is how many kids play football in that region (instead of, say, basketball). And in the South, football is king, period. 

As to Ohio State - yes, the state of Ohio doesn't produce as many top recruits as Georgia does. Neither does Alabama or Illinois. But the recruiting footprint for Ohio State is huge. Ohio State basically competes with maybe one or two schools in their region for top players and can recruit in the South and Cal pretty effortlessly. Georgia recruits, well, in Georgia and nearby, and gets almost no one else. 

Well, for starters percentages doesn't matter as much as actual people. Texas has a lower percentage, but they have significantly more recruiting stars overall. Big math problem there. 

And yeah, I think that it might be a lot better to look at regional stars instead of percentage of black population, because again, yes, we are going to pretend that how many African American populations produce football doesn't really matter. What matters a lot more, as it turns out, is how many kids play football in that region (instead of, say, basketball). And in the South, football is king, period. 

As to Ohio State - yes, the state of Ohio doesn't produce as many top recruits as Georgia does. Neither does Alabama or Illinois. But the recruiting footprint for Ohio State is huge. Ohio State basically competes with maybe one or two schools in their region for top players and can recruit in the South and Cal pretty effortlessly. Georgia recruits, well, in Georgia and nearby, and gets almost no one else. 

Georgia has a commit from the #1 QB in the country. He's from Seattle. A.J. Green came form South Carolina. Geno Atkins Florida. Knowshon Moreno New Jersey.  Matt Stafford Dallas. They can clean up in the state of Georgia (28 4 or 5 stars in state this year), and pick and choose national recruits, which they've done to great success for a long time.

As for demographics, again, quit being obtuse.  Let's take Iowa and Mississippi, two states that where football is king and with almost identical populations. Iowa has 5 3 star or better athletes.  Mississippi has 20 3 star or better athletes this year.

Georgia has a commit from the #1 QB in the country. He's from Seattle. A.J. Green came form South Carolina. Geno Atkins Florida. Knowshon Moreno New Jersey.  They can clean up in the state of Georgia (28 4 or 5 stars in state this year), and pick and choose national recruits, which they've done to great success for a long time.

As for demographics, again, quit being obtuse.  Let's take Iowa and Mississippi, two states that where football is king and with almost identical populations. Iowa has 5 3 star or better athletes.  Mississippi has 20 3 star or better athletes this year.

That #1 Qb is going to Miami with Richt. So probably not a good argument. They've been able to get good recruiting but it isn't because Georgia is a major hotbed. I do think it's better than Notre Dame though. It's not just about recruiting. That's a big part of it, but it's not the only thing. 

As to demographics - Iowa football isn't king nearly to the degree that Mississippi is. Like, if you want to figure out what is big in Iowa? Wrestling. Lots and lots of wrestling. How many top wrestling recruits come from Mississippi? Like, zero. 

That #1 Qb is going to Miami with Richt. So probably not a good argument. They've been able to get good recruiting but it isn't because Georgia is a major hotbed. I do think it's better than Notre Dame though. It's not just about recruiting. That's a big part of it, but it's not the only thing. 

As to demographics - Iowa football isn't king nearly to the degree that Mississippi is. Like, if you want to figure out what is big in Iowa? Wrestling. Lots and lots of wrestling. How many top wrestling recruits come from Mississippi? Like, zero. 

He was going to go to Georgia which is the point. Teams always lose a bunch of recruits when the coach leaves.

And Mississippi had about 22% more HS football players than Iowa, and will send 4 times as many players D1.

African Americans account for 68% of the the player base in the NFL, while accounting for 13.2% of the American population. this isn't rocket science.

African Americans account for 68% of the the player base in the NFL, while accounting for 13.2% of the American population. this isn't rocket science.

They also account for how many of the poor people in the American population? There might be a reason for that. 

The same thing has been said about African Americans and basketball players - except what we're seeing is a whole bunch of players from Europe now. The same was said about Jews at the turn of the century as far as them being better boxers (no, seriously). 

I mean, by your logic New York would be the second best state (since it has the second highest African American population). But...nope! Illinois would also be high up there. Nope! Hawaii should suck, but they don't. Utah should suck, but they don't. Nebraska should really suck, but it has quite a few top recruits. You're right that it isn't rocket science, but it's a lot more than 'black people == better recruits'. 

Here - here's a map. And they're saying Georgia wins due to them being the only major school in town basically (other than GTech, I guess). But still - the numbers don't correlate well with % African American population at all. 

And here's a graph too. Georgia produces a TON of recruits, but again - New York has 3 million African Americans and is between Colorado and Arkansas as far as recruits produced in football. 

Here - here's a map. And they're saying Georgia wins due to them being the only major school in town basically (other than GTech, I guess). But still - the numbers don't correlate well with % African American population at all. 

And here's a graph too. Georgia produces a TON of recruits, but again - New York has 3 million African Americans and is between Colorado and Arkansas as far as recruits produced in football. 

New York's AA population is overwhelmingly located in NYC, and NYC basically doesn't offer football in its public high schools. As a result, the top football athletes move elsewhere to play.

The overwhelming majority of recruits from both Utah and Hawaii are pacific islanders, another group that is overrepresented by about 1000% in the NFL vs. their percentage of the U.S. population.

Wow. East Carolina fired their coach for being black. Damn.

What?  I admit I was surprised to hear he was fired, and so it seems is most of the college football world.  I haven't really looked into that much, but a quick google search on Ruffin McNeil doesn't turn up any racial allegations about his firing - have you seen something different? 

What?  I admit I was surprised to hear he was fired, and so it seems is most of the college football world.  I haven't really looked into that much, but a quick google search on Ruffin McNeil doesn't turn up any racial allegations about his firing - have you seen something different? 

I read that as commentary on how little sense the firing made in any other context. 

ETA: With Bama's win and Baylor's loss, OM gets the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma St. Given where I thought we'd end up after the Memphis game, I'll take it.

White coaches don't get fired like that.

Yeah its completely commentary on my part.

It'd be funny if he went to south carolina.

I don't care too much which of y'all wins this between Stansbury and SC, but I'm glad it's become a game after it looked for a while like Stanford would run away with it. 

Man, before that big completion to McCaffrey, Hogan was 3-6 for 11 yards in the 3rd. 

Why not just expand the schedule to 20 games next year and we could claim an even newer all purpose yards record for some new clown?

Sanders 11 game total is the mark McCaffrey surpassed today (in his 13th game)

The media cant even be bothered to include Barry's 1988 12 game total ( 3,471 all purpose yds) because the NCAA didnt include bowl game yardage till after this period, yet the media has no trouble trumpeting a record broken in 13 games that was set in 11 games. 

Bythefucknway this McCaffrey poser has still not passed Sanders in 13 games if we include his 12 game total ( with the bowl game) of 3471. FukitI I cant stand even trying to explain this damn travesty to records. Suffice it to say this is the GRANDADDY OF ALLTIME ASTERISKS RECORDS if there ever was one!!!!!!!

Sanders 1988 season the real record setting season, not the bullshit being reported by these TZM, ESPN, pickaBC joke media stations of today. 

Screen-Shot-2013-09-12-at-3.35.17-PM.png

Archived