Boarders Writing A Novel: Part 13

Kyoshi

My last manuscript was 63k, and I am pretty sure that was the reason I had almost zero success querying. So if you're trying to go the trad route through an agent, I wouldn't recommend trying with 60k. For small presses or self-pub, sure.

I think you're right. There are probably some things I could expand. Really 10,000 doesn't feel horrible. I mean it's a vampire story--I can do something I'm sure.

I've had a pretty long story in my head for a little over a year now, but I'm still developing my skills as a writer and I don't think I'm "good" enough to write it yet. In fact I know that I'm not. But the longer I go developing the story in my head, the harder it is to avoid putting it to paper.

I'm wondering now if I should just work on something else until I'm ready to do the story I have in mind justice, or write it now and then rewrite it as necessary over the next few years.

If anybody whose been writing for a while has some insight into this kind of thing any advice would be much appreciated.

Get it down now. Revision is a part of writing, but you can't revise if you don't have a story.

Winter's Discord, my YA fantasy, was originally pitched at 99k. First agent likened it to a shorter work and requested a slimmed down rewrite and came it at about 83k. Got a revise and resubmit asking for a bigger book and rewrote it up back up to 130k. That got me my agent. The sequel went from 80k to 144k to 136k to 131k. 

My other fantasy project went from 95k to 117k. Waiting on betas for a polish draft on that one soon because I want to get that out to publishers soon. 

Winter's Discord, my YA fantasy, was originally pitched at 99k. First agent likened it to a shorter work and requested a slimmed down rewrite and came it at about 83k. Got a revise and resubmit asking for a bigger book and rewrote it up back up to 130k. That got me my agent. The sequel went from 80k to 144k to 136k to 131k. 

My other fantasy project went from 95k to 117k. Waiting on betas for a polish draft on that one soon because I want to get that out to publishers soon. 

I had a similar experience with The Rules of Supervillainy.

They said it was too large for a superhero book.

My next guy said to split it in half.

Then the guy who published it said to split it in half but then expand the two halves into something roughly 75% the size of the original.

What a world.

My last manuscript was 63k, and I am pretty sure that was the reason I had almost zero success querying. So if you're trying to go the trad route through an agent, I wouldn't recommend trying with 60k. For small presses or self-pub, sure.

I signed with an agent on a manuscript about that size, but the first thing she requested was that the manuscript be longer. Of course, that was the agent who later dumped me via email so, OK, bad example. 

So I've had an idea for a story recently, sort of like a mix between GoT's world and a Haloesque Sci-Fi story.

So it would have Thrones' gritty fantasy world, but instead of magic, you have high tech groups of "warlocks"/"witches".

Could anybody here give me titles of similar stories? Give me something to go of of so I can take it in a semi-original direction?

So I've had an idea for a story recently, sort of like a mix between GoT's world and a Haloesque Sci-Fi story.

So it would have Thrones' gritty fantasy world, but instead of magic, you have high tech groups of "warlocks"/"witches".

Could anybody here give me titles of similar stories? Give me something to go of of so I can take it in a semi-original direction?

:)

Dune would be a good inspiration.

I haven't read it, but maybe Roger Zelazny's Amber series?

Amber doesn't really have any Science Fiction elements in it, unlike Zelazny's [i]Lord of Light[/i] which uses the 'sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' concept.

Julian May's [i]Saga of the Exiles[/i] is another one that has a mix of Space Opera and Epic Fantasy elements.

Reading some old star wars books to get a handle character development. I don't mind George's writing style but he puts a lot into his writing and it can be some what heavy handed and hand holdy (like R+L=J in GOT) and I don't like that.

George Lucas didn't write any of the Star Wars books. The novelization of Episode IV has his name on it but was ghost-written by Alan Dean Foster.

I've read many SW books and they might not be the best source for learning how to develop characters. Because each movie novelization (and many many many of the Expanded Universe books) were written by different authors, you tend to get different interpretations and sides of the same characters. It's not always consistent. A series written by a single author might prove more insightful in this matter.

Reading some old star wars books to get a handle character development. I don't mind George's writing style but he puts a lot into his writing and it can be some what heavy handed and hand holdy (like R+L=J in GOT) and I don't like that.

Try Shakespeare instead. Different medium (plays vs books), but he's the most famous writer in the English language for a reason.

Archived