GRRM himself weights on on "Maegor the Third", Night's King

This could be one of the rare changes I like.

The Night's King is an interesting character, especially if the show include the backstory and not just the cool name. I will be disappointed if the Others have no leader/character to associate them with in the books. Giving them a leader makes it look like they have intelligence and a strategy as opposed to being a disorganized force being controlled by god knows what. They would just be a species where you can't differentiate one between the other, an army without a King or a commander. Maybe, it is just me but I don't find that appealing. It also means we are likely to get an epic duel between the Night's King and Jon (possibly Dany via dragon back) which would be cool.

And them not having a leader but acting with intelligence, cohesion and purpose would make them all the more alien and unknowable. I think alien and unknowable Others/White Walkers are far better antagonists. I also think the lack of leader works better with the unrelenting horde of death that is the metaphor for the cold and unforgiving long winter.

I'm surprised they didn't set up the scene with Jon fighting the WW at Hardhome with an earlier scene in which the WW sits in a ice-brothel looking to rape the youngest zombie - you know, just so we know he's a bad guy.

I'm surprised they didn't set up the scene with Jon fighting the WW at Hardhome with an earlier scene in which the WW sits in a ice-brothel looking to rape the youngest zombie - you know, just so we know he's a bad guy.

Because he's not - otherwise they would have. Remember how nice the White Walker was with that baby in season 4? Gentle, paternal, shelterring the fleshy infant from the cold and then the Nights King imbued it with the power to survive the cold. The Nights King is the hero of this saga - the people are the bad guys.

Jeez, how much is it going to take for everyone to work it out? What level of human depravity does a human audience have to be subjected to before they give up on the human characters? This is the question this saga is asking and obviously the answer is a lot - humans have more faith in humans, even when they are shown at their most flawed and better options exist, than what they are logically worth. Our species is biased towards itself, which is really quite immature, when you think about it.

Seeing all these D&D fan-fiction comments REALLY makes me curious what people would say if say GRRM was the one at the show-runner helm and overseeing the writing process of the show in its entirety.

Seeing all these D&D fan-fiction comments REALLY makes me curious what people would say if say GRRM was the one at the show-runner helm and overseeing the writing process of the show in its entirety.

It would be a completely different show.

Because he's not - otherwise they would have. Remember how nice the White Walker was with that baby in season 4? Gentle, paternal, shelterring the fleshy infant from the cold and then the Nights King imbued it with the power to survive the cold. The Nights King is the hero of this saga - the people are the bad guys.

Jeez, how much is it going to take for everyone to work it out? What level of human depravity does a human audience have to be subjected to before they give up on the human characters? This is the question this saga is asking and obviously the answer is a lot - humans have more faith in humans, even when they are shown at their most flawed and better options exist, than what they are logically worth. Our species is biased towards itself, which is really quite immature, when you think about it.

Yeah, because it's not like the Others commit huge massacres or anything. No, they are fun loving, light hearted and sit around playing pat-a-cake all day, shitting rainbows and singing hymns on high

Why? The books mention there being a Great Other i.e leader of the WW. Who gives a fuck if the show calls him/her/it the NK instead? How does that affect the overall plot?

Because

Jon is about to be stabbed for no reason.

It would be a completely different show.

I meant a scenario in-which we got the exact same show, all the same creative choices with the sole difference being Martin being the guy behind them all.

Not following you. The leader of the WW hasn't been named in the show. FTW isn't about the WW, it's about the Wildlings and pink letter.

FTW makes no sense because no one is going to give a crap about wildlings when it has just been confirmed that WW are leading a massive army of zombies south.

"Fellow men of the Night's Watch. We have seen the horrors that filled our childhood fairytales. They are real and they are marching on the wall! No one will survive. Not a wildling, not you, not your families. No one. We must band together..."

*stab* *stab* *stab* For the Watch!!!

"Wha...why did you just stab me. This makes no sense."

Wildling lover!

"Umm, you realize your going to have your head eaten by zombies in a couple days, right?"

For the Watch!

"It's like you're following through with a plotline that no longer makes any sense given what has just happened to us all."

For the Watch!!

FTW makes no sense because no one is going to give a crap about wildlings when it has just been confirmed that WW are leading a massive army of zombies south.

"Fellow men of the Night's Watch. We have seen the horrors that filled our childhood fairytales. They are real and they are marching on the wall! No one will survive. Not a wildling, not you, not your families. No one. We must band together..."

Wildling lover!

"Umm, you realize your going to have your head eaten by zombies in a couple days, right?"

For the Watch!

"It's like you're following through with a plotline that no longer makes any sense given what has just happened to us all."

For the Watch!!

Same as the books then. The Watch fought WW at the Fist of the first men. They know what's out there. Doesn't mean that they all agree with Jon that having the Wildlings south of the wall or interfering in the politics of Westeros isn't breaking their vows.

Wildling lover!

For the Watch!

For the Watch!!

So people making dumb decisions due to their stupidity, ego, vanity or any number of prejudices or character flaws which've been the catalyst for ALL the bad things that've happened in this universe for ages now? Also, Jon, Sam, Thormund along with the Wildlings are the only guys who've seen this zombie army, the rest of the Watch hasn't.

Same as the books then. The Watch fought WW at the Fist of the first men. They know what's out there. Doesn't mean that they all agree with Jon that having the Wildlings south of the wall or interfering in the politics of Westeros isn't breaking their vows.

Maybe they don't all agree but FTW is going to be such a eye-roller now that Jon himself has slayed a white walker and convinced wildlings to come south of the wall. The motivation will be absent. Which is why they have Olly all cocked and loaded, perhaps.

Maybe they don't all agree but FTW is going to be such a eye-roller now that Jon himself has slayed a white walker and convinced wildlings to come south of the wall. The motivation will be absent. Which is why they have Olly all cocked and loaded, perhaps.

You're just wrong on this. The show has clearly established that the watch know the WW's are back and gathering an army. Sitting behind a 700ft magic wall would give you a sense of over confidence.

You're just wrong on this. The show has clearly established that the watch know the WW's are back and gathering an army. Sitting behind a 700ft magic wall would give you a sense of over confidence.

Right. I know if I was a member of the military and my general returned from enemy territory with the enemy, relating to everyone that we have to put our differences aside because magical ice creatures have amassed an army of the dead and are heading south, I know my first inclination would be to assassinate my general because 'guy code'.

Nonsense.

Archived