So he's gone? Dead? Not coming back?

Tooms

just sticking solely with show canon- why the discussion on rhaegar and lyanna this season... hmmnnn?? to say all that and then render it irrelevant. I call BS.

Was any more time spent on this than on Greyworm and Missendei interactions (even in the episode where he gets wounded)? Or on the Sand Snakes' silliness (even back to when they were torturing the captain with scorpions and a basket on his head)?

This is clearly not so well planned that each and every piece of dialogue needs to have some deep overarching purpose or integral connection to everything else. If I were to look at the importance in terms of the time and emphasis given to the stories I would say that Myrcellas love for Trystane, or Hizdhar's zo Loraq's heritage is far more significant to the story than anything about Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Was any more time spent on this than on Greyworm and Missendei interactions (even in the episode where he gets wounded)? Or on the Sand Snakes' silliness (even back to when they were torturing the captain with scorpions and a basket on his head)?

This is clearly not so well planned that each and every piece of dialogue needs to have some deep overarching purpose or integral connection to everything else. If I were to look at the importance in terms of the time and emphasis given to the stories I would say that Myrcellas love for Trystane, or Hizdhar's zo Loraq's heritage is far more significant to the story than anything about Rhaegar and Lyanna.

sigh. i hope logic finds you some day.

Oooh, virgin post here! :)

I heard it suggested that the reason D&D are going on this "deny deny deny" campaign is to put the surprise back into the hands of GRRM for the upcoming TWOW. I'm a book reader and a show watcher....and even though I've spent the last few years enjoying delving into the many potential ways Jon comes back, while enjoying the show as a supplement - that interview with Kit Harrington put just enough poison into my certainty that Jon is THE central character in the story that it has me actually posting on this forum for the first time, even though I've been around reading it for ages.

They've succeeded in making me even MORE anxious for the next book than I already was. It's brilliant, really. It's really shitty, but completely brilliant.

1) Freak out all the show-only watchers: CHECK!

2) Make the long time book readers move uncomfortably in their seats: CHECK!

3) Put Jon's fate (and likely the most significant reveals of his story) truly back into the hands of GRRM (in terms of timing): CHECK!

The marketing potential for generating additional book sales and additional HBO subscriptions between now and April 2016 has just skyrocketed......

My money is still on Jon (and Kit) returning....but I'd be lying if I said this hasn't made me less comfortable.....(CHECK!)

great post

Don't worry. John IS the song of ice and fire. Without him the rest of the story in meaningless.

That is the name of the book series. But the phrase has made no appearance in the show. it is missing from the house of undying scenes (as is any mention of Rhaegar, or the three heads of the dragon, or any mention of Rhaegar's obsession with the PTWP prophecy, or any mention that the PTWP was believed to come from the line of Aerys, or any mention of the warging ability of any Stark child other than Bran--with no mention of Nymeria--or any mention of Melisandre seeing "Snow", or any mention of her seeing a man-wolf-man, or anything about the Last Hero, or any emphasis on the prophecy at all other than from a fringe fanatical follower of a somewhat obscure religion --in the show at least-- who was clearly wrong about who it applied to).

I think we'll soon learn if Jon Snow is truly dead from an unlikely source..

A group of people that feed irrelevant drivel to the masses of which they're never sated. They're loved or hated by all; with a spy network that would rival Varys'.

Dun Dun Dun...

The Paparazzi!

First they'll lay siege to Kit Harrington's home, garage, and mailbox only to find he's not home. Then they'll venture to his supposed "holiday" only to learn he never went. Their other little birds will then spot him smuggled on a ship filled with onions sailing towards the Game of Thrones set.

Then the world will know that Jon Snow lives!

I didn't read the entire thread, but thru the first 4 pages or so it seems like everyone is overlooking one big thing: The EW article says that Kit is under contract through season 6.

Obviously they just need him for a few corpse shots and by union rules he still needs both credit and payment for such shots.

/sarcasm

I'm going to echo what others have said. If Jon was Ned level dead the interview wouldn't be about how totally dead Jon Snow is, it would be about Kit's upcoming projects.

When Jon Snow returns, he will no longer be bound by the vows of the Night's Watch. When a member of the Night's Watch dies, the final words spoken at the funeral ceremony are, "and now his watch has ended," or something like that. Not sure what this means, but it seems important. He is certainly dead, but he will be "reborn." If it doesn't happen, this epic tale, by definition, is an utter failure.

I think we'll soon learn if Jon Snow is truly dead from an unlikely source..

A group of people that feed irrelevant drivel to the masses of which they're never sated. They're loved or hated by all; with a spy network that would rival Varys'.

Dun Dun Dun...

The Paparazzi!

First they'll lay siege to Kit Harrington's home, garage, and mailbox only to find he's not home. Then they'll venture to his supposed "holiday" only to learn he never went. Their other little birds will then spot him smuggled on a ship filled with onions sailing towards the Game of Thrones set.

Then the world will know that Jon Snow lives!

Or you could find out by watching this video right now!

https://youtu.be/mVzhcD1LdfA

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have this story go in a way I don't expect and not have Dany and Jon be the heroes they have been set up to be, however there are good ways to do that and there are bad ways. Just killing him now is just bad writing. David and Dan or Martin, if they want to subvert tropes there are ways to do it. Ned's death was great, the Red Wedding while painful made sense in the story. This doesn't. It's illogical from a story telling standpoint and I have more faith in DavidandDan/Martin.

Killing Jon actually does have a point, but not one that I think would be palatable or even make sense in the current structure. Since there is R+L=J, that entire sub story would be useless if Jon dies.

Now for the other side....I don't buy this, just pointing out a possible pov.

If RLJ did not exist, then Jon dying would define human stupidity in the fullest. Even though the NW rebels attacked jon for his plans on Winterfell, his death would essentially dissolve the glue holding the Wildlings and NW together. There would be no reason for them to trust the people who killed Jon. Jon is by far the most level headed person on the wall, and the defense against the Others is going to need individuals who can set aside age old prejudices to bind people together. Having Jon killed could be used as a way to show how one of humanities greatest weaknesses is its failure to accept and adhere to progress quicker.

I just want to make it clear that I do not believe that Jon is dead, but if he were to die that is one possible consequence.

I might also add that if Martin pulls the same BS as he did with the last two books and we have to wait until DoS for another Jon Chapter (or only 1 chapter at the end of WoW), he would definitely be a poor writer.

Having said all that. Jon Snow is dead, but Jon Stargarayen is not. :).

Archived