So he's gone? Dead? Not coming back?

Tooms

Another thing actually, why would GRRM test D&D by asking them of Jon Snow's parentage? If that isn't important, why ask it??

He said that he was testing them to see if they actually read and thought about the books. He's been in situations where people wanted to buy the rights to his works yet have no idea what they're buying.

This happens a lot. Studios will buy the rights to stuff just to make sure other studios/people don't get it first. Especially if it's really popular. For example, the producers bought the rights to Resident Evil, a game about zombies. They hired a writer, and when they got the script back, they were surprised it was about zombies. True story.

He's not going to be permanently dead. And the point about cutting LSH makes a lot of sense. This story can't get too familiar with resurrections. There's too many "oh he's not really dead" characters anyway. The Hound is still out there, potentially. The Mountain is alive in some form. LSH. Mance being swapped. Bran and Rickon/farm boys. Stannis?? I realize I'm mixing show and books....

But Jon will be back. 100%. It sucks that we have to deal with a year of this debate. No point.

He's not going to be permanently dead. And the point about cutting LSH makes a lot of sense. This story can't get too familiar with resurrections. There's too many "oh he's not really dead" characters anyway. The Hound is still out there, potentially. The Mountain is alive in some form. LSH. Mance being swapped. Bran and Rickon/farm boys. Stannis?? I realize I'm mixing show and books....

But Jon will be back. 100%. It sucks that we have to deal with a year of this debate. No point.

Agreed, look what it's done, no one believes anyone is dead anymore unless their head comes off, and apparently that doesn't even work anymore thanks to Qyburn.

The other thing that makes me doubt this news is the fact that we haven't heard anything about Kit Harrington having a big project lined up to film next year. Remember we heard about Richard Madden landing the role of Prince Charming in that Cinderella movie weeks before the Red Wedding happened, same with Michelle Fairley and her role on 24, which should have signaled to everyone that she wasn't coming back for Stoneheart. If he's keeping his schedule open, it's because he's contractually obligated to.

WRG to the next book, Martin basicly said I'm working hard on it to get it out.

WRG to who is or isn't dead I think all these cliff hangers are D & D way of giving GRRM the chance to give us the answers or clues first, I say if the book is out by February, that be time enough for most people to find the answers they crave.

I didn't read the entire thread, but thru the first 4 pages or so it seems like everyone is overlooking one big thing: The EW article says that Kit is under contract through season 6.

the article I read quoted kit as specifically being angry about the reports of him having a season 6 contract, says it's made up. I don't believe him, but he did say it.

Well, he has to come back to film his pyre scene, doesn't he? He could have said that, and it would have been enough to keep people guessing, yet allow for him to still be cast or seen later this year.

But he didn't say that. He said they told him flat out he was done with the show. Not just character dead but that he would not be back. Just like with Selmys actor, etc. I can't see him lying so easily when he had no need to.

I've not much hope left, but we shall see. Without him, I'm really not all that interested in St. Tyrion or Dany Deadpan. Or Batman and empowered by rape, yet still a damsel in distress Sansa. Or psycho killer Arya. Or stupid Sand Sluts.

The Fans Remember. Sweeps are Coming.

Oooh, virgin post here! :)

I heard it suggested that the reason D&D are going on this "deny deny deny" campaign is to put the surprise back into the hands of GRRM for the upcoming TWOW. I'm a book reader and a show watcher....and even though I've spent the last few years enjoying delving into the many potential ways Jon comes back, while enjoying the show as a supplement - that interview with Kit Harrington put just enough poison into my certainty that Jon is THE central character in the story that it has me actually posting on this forum for the first time, even though I've been around reading it for ages.

They've succeeded in making me even MORE anxious for the next book than I already was. It's brilliant, really. It's really shitty, but completely brilliant.

1) Freak out all the show-only watchers: CHECK!

2) Make the long time book readers move uncomfortably in their seats: CHECK!

3) Put Jon's fate (and likely the most significant reveals of his story) truly back into the hands of GRRM (in terms of timing): CHECK!

The marketing potential for generating additional book sales and additional HBO subscriptions between now and April 2016 has just skyrocketed......

My money is still on Jon (and Kit) returning....but I'd be lying if I said this hasn't made me less comfortable.....(CHECK!)

Yes!!! This is correct.

Can everybody please read between the lines already? Or are we going to do this silly dance until somebody spots Kit Harington under a blanket in Northern Ireland?

Notice that when they ask the appropriate question directly, they do not answer?

Somebody finally got the message.

Interesting 'answer' to that question, thanks for posting it. I just think if Jon doesn't get brought back to life somehow, then there's extremely slim pickings on a character that we have to root for. Which is dangerous for any series, especially one with so many characters in it!

GRRM has the luxury of being ambiguous, as the showrunners pointed out in the EW article.

You may see a red flag. I see grasping at straws on the part of fans. Not a good look, in my opinion.

just sticking solely with show canon- why the discussion on rhaegar and lyanna this season... hmmnnn?? to say all that and then render it irrelevant. I call BS.

He's not pining. He's passed on. This Jon is no more. He has ceased to be. He has expired and gone to meet his maker. He's a stiff. Bereft of life, he rest in peace. If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies. His metabolic processes are now history. He's off the twig. He's kicked the bucket. He's shuffled off the mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible.

This is an ex-Jon.

:D

Well played. I will counter with: he's only *mostly* dead.

Seriously, GRRM screwed Princess Bride fans once already. He best not do it again.

WRG to the next book, Martin basicly said I'm working hard on it to get it out.

WRG to who is or isn't dead I think all these cliff hangers are D & D way of giving GRRM the chance to give us the answers or clues first, I say if the book is out by February, that be time enough for most people to find the answers they crave.

he hasn't got that long. He has until they start filming the next season. Although i suspect that AA reborn will be heading north, so the thing to watch for will be a film unit showing up in Iceland.....

Archived