So he's gone? Dead? Not coming back?

Tooms

Agree that from a story perspective it makes no sense for Jon to be dead. I think the fact that even book fans are questioning it when they've long decided Jon isn't dead is exactly what the producers wanted.

I don't think it is possible to believe anything that is said by an actor about whether his/her character is dead, when the character's creator is being coy about the exact same thing.

In the books, Jon's cliffhanger revolves about whether he is dead or not. GRRM himself is not giving explicit answers about whether Jon is dead or not.

On screen, Jon is at exactly the same spot in his character's plotline. Why on earth would anyone imagine that the actor playing him would be any more or less explicit than GRRM himself?

He's not pining. He's passed on. This Jon is no more. He has ceased to be. He has expired and gone to meet his maker. He's a stiff. Bereft of life, he rest in peace. If you hadn't nailed him to the perch he'd be pushing up the daisies. His metabolic processes are now history. He's off the twig. He's kicked the bucket. He's shuffled off the mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible.

This is an ex-Jon.

:D

...For real, though, if Kit isn't coming back, I'm surprised D&D and Kit aren't being more cagey about it. You know, the usual: "Is he dead? Is he alive? Tee hee, we're not saying! You'll have to tune in next year to find out!" That they're all "Yep, he's dead, sorry folks, move it along" is surprising if he is indeed coming back.

Can everybody please read between the lines already? Or are we going to do this silly dance until somebody spots Kit Harington under a blanket in Northern Ireland?

Notice that when they ask the appropriate question directly, they do not answer?

Somebody finally got the message.

Can everybody please read between the lines already? Or are we going to do this silly dance until somebody spots Kit Harington under a blanket in Northern Ireland?

Notice that when they ask the appropriate question directly, they do not answer?

Exactly. I feel like people are asking the wrong questions. So they technically haven't lied.

Hah. Awesome response from Nutter.

I give the reporter in Variety credit. Instead of just asking whether Jon is dead, he followed up with the appropriate question. I am a lawyer, so this drives me nuts.

Oh, for crying out loud. This is the Lady Stoneheart/Michelle Fairley fiasco all over again. D&D and Kit could have been ambiguous and coy. They weren't. They were the opposite of ambiguous and coy. There's "reading between the lines," and then there's pure desperation; this sort of stuff reeks of the latter, right up there with "Stannis isn't actually dead because we never saw his head cut off."

As for David Nutter, his answers were the same as Alex Graves' when asked about the possibility of Lady Stoneheart in Season 5: I don't know anything, D&D don't tell me, all I know about is this season, and in this season it wasn't going to happen, blah blah blah. Guess who was notably absent from Season 5? Lady Stoneheart, that's who.

Oh, for crying out loud. This is the Lady Stoneheart/Michelle Fairley fiasco all over again. D&D and Kit could have been ambiguous and coy. They weren't. They were the opposite of being ambiguous and coy. There's "reading between the lines," and then there's pure desperation; this sort of stuff reeks of the latter, right up there with "Stannis isn't actually dead because we never saw his head cut off."

As for David Nutter, his answers were the same as Alex Graves when asked about the possibility of Lady Stoneheart in Season 5: I don't know anything, D&D don't tell me, all I know about is this season, and in this season it wasn't going to happen, blah blah blah. Guess who was notably absent from Season 5?

When GRRM himself is ambiguous and coy about what happened to Jon but the producers are not, I see a red flag.

When GRRM himself is ambiguous and coy about what happened to Jon but the producers are not, I see a red flag.

GRRM has the luxury of being ambiguous, as the showrunners pointed out in the EW article.

Weiss noted that when filming a show or movie, the ambiguity of Martin’s final Dance with Dragons chapter is tougher to pull off—a producer typically has to clearly commit to a character’s fate, one way or the other. “In a book, you can present that kind of ambiguity,” Weiss said. “In a show, everybody sees it for what it is. It’s that rule: ‘If don’t see the body then they’re not really dead.’ Like when we cut Ned’s head off, we didn’t want a gory Monty Python geyser of blood, but we needed to see the blade enter his neck and cut out on the frame where the blade was mid-neck—it was longest discussion ever of where to cut a frame; two hours of talking about whether to cut at frame six or frame seven or frame eight. And that’s all by way of saying we needed Ned’s death to be totally unambiguous. I remember reading the book and going back and forth, like, ‘Did I miss something? Was [Ned] swapped out for somebody else?’ There’s a level of ambiguity because you’re not seeing something starkly represented. In the book, you can write around things to preserve a certain level of mystery that you have to commit to on screen.”

You may see a red flag. I see grasping at straws on the part of fans. Not a good look, in my opinion.

GRRM has the luxury of being ambiguous, as the showrunners pointed out in the EW article.

You may see a red flag. I see grasping at straws on the part of fans. Not a good look, in my opinion.

You can think that, I just have more faith in Martin as a storyteller. If he built up Jon the way he did, the mystery surrounding his birth, his role in the fight against the Others and littered the entire book with the foreshadowing only to have Jon really be definitely dead forever. Gone. He's a poor storyteller. There's no way around that.

Archived