So he's gone? Dead? Not coming back?

Tooms

...and this is what you get when you end a season on a cliffhanger like this.

Interviews asking the question over and over again. What does everyone expect?

"No I'm not dead I'm signed for next year and I'll be back."

Please, of course it's going to be denial regardless of his true fate.

They probably ended the season this way strictly for GRRM in case he gets his new book out between seasons.

It was a stupid idea otherwise to end the season with a cliffhanger like that. It would have been a better penultimate episode with a bit of a followup in episode 10. If they didn't have a book unreleased they may have done it that way. The fate of Jon is probably such a big deal they would have spoiled Martin's reveal in the book if they put in in screen this past weekend.

The following characters have to be alive at the end or near the end...

Dany

Arya

Tyrion

Jon Snow

I am not saying they will all live but they should be around towards the last 2 or 3 episodes. Everyone else along the way is expendable. Nobody gives a shit about Bran or Rickon. Nobody is going to stick around to see Littlefinger lay claim to the throne. Killing off the above 4 but keeping Sansa around isn't going to satisfy anyone. Only Jon and Sam are remotely familiar with dragonglass and the need for it in the upcoming war with the White Walkers. Only Dany is going to have the vehicles (dragons) to deliver a knockout blow to the wights. Killing Arya is just another fuck you to those who are invested in the Starks as the only available Stark the fans have really fallen in love with. Killing Tyrion / Peter Dinklage would be incredibly stupid unless it happens the last episode or two of the entire series. Jon Snow needs to be resurrected for anyone to even give a shit. If Jon Snow is completely dead and gone, who else is there to invest time in? Nobody is going to give a shit if it is LIttlefinger, the Sand Snakes and the Boltons defending the Realm of Men against the White Walkers.

Dany

Arya

Tyrion

Jon Snow

I am not saying they will all live but they should be around towards the last 2 or 3 episodes. Everyone else along the way is expendable. Nobody gives a shit about Bran or Rickon. Nobody is going to stick around to see Littlefinger lay claim to the throne. Killing off the above 4 but keeping Sansa around isn't going to satisfy anyone. Only Jon and Sam are remotely familiar with dragonglass and the need for it in the upcoming war with the White Walkers. Only Dany is going to have the vehicles (dragons) to deliver a knockout blow to the wights. Killing Arya is just another fuck you to those who are invested in the Starks as the only available Stark the fans have really fallen in love with. Killing Tyrion / Peter Dinklage would be incredibly stupid unless it happens the last episode or two of the entire series. Jon Snow needs to be resurrected for anyone to even give a shit. If Jon Snow is completely dead and gone, who else is there to invest time in? Nobody is going to give a shit if it is LIttlefinger, the Sand Snakes and the Boltons defending the Realm of Men against the White Walkers.

Completely agree with that list.

To be essentially built up like this and to be said a billion times by Melisandre that "there's power in him", and the obvious R+L=J visual indications and foreshadowing they kept throwing at us this season, and then to be killed off completely uneventfully is beyond stupid intern writing.

Seems normal for D&D though.

That's exactly what happened in the book.

Jon Snow is dead,,,,Jon (or Aerys, Baelor, Daeron) Targeryan will born on the first episode of season six

doubt that. May be reborn but not next season. Next season he is Ghost. Kit said outright he was not back for season 6 and I do not believe he was lying.

It won't happen IMO until there is some sort of general consensus that it should - maybe when there are no heroes or claimants left.

This is the most enlightening post I've seen on this subject, coming from a Newbie (albeit one who is obviously very clued in) it puts to shame all you veterans who are so sure Jon is dead. Seriously what would be the point Jon and Dany are Ice and Fire end of story. If his arc ended so abruptly after all the foreshadowing it will eat my books.

This is the most enlightening post I've seen on this subject, coming from a Newbie (albeit one who is obviously very clued in) it puts to shame all you veterans who are so sure Jon is dead. Seriously what would be the point Jon and Dany are Ice and Fire end of story. If his arc ended so abruptly after all the foreshadowing it will eat my books.

That's one way to interpret it. If Jon is truly a Targaryen...he could be Ice and Fire on his own. That's another way to interpret that title.

While I agree it is unlikely Jon is dead, theoretically there would be a point to Jon dying, and that would be for GRRM to make his point in no uncertain terms that there are no heroes and saviours, only people, and they fuck themselves over while trying to one up each other.

Jon was set up as the potential saviour, but the people he would save kill him. The hero is dead.

Dany

Arya

Tyrion

Jon Snow

Agree as well. Though personally I would add Bran ad Sansa to the list. But the point is certain characters are inexpendable and even ASoIAF has to follow certain conventions.

While I agree it is unlikely Jon is dead, theoretically there would be a point to Jon dying, and that would be for GRRM to make his point in no uncertain terms that there are no heroes and saviours, only people, and they fuck themselves over while trying to one up each other.

Jon was set up as the potential saviour, but the people he would save kill him. The hero is dead.

That would strike me more as something that happens at the climax of the story, rather than 2/3s (?) in.

I love how before the episode aired, there were so many people saying they'd be p*ssed off if D&D spoiled the fate of Jon before the next book.

They've done the opposite. Left it for GRRM to reveal (or not reveal) and everyone's still p*ssed off! 😂

First off though, Jon's death would be so pointless if they just revealed him to be alive and well and returning next season. The shock would instantly be gone.

I also agree with those who have said the reason LSH hasn't been introduced is for that reason too. The shock of Jon dying would completely vanish if we just thought he was gonna be resurrected.

People said this scene wouldn't break the internet, but it kinda has when you think about it. 😉

Last year, HBO signed Game of Thrones for seasons 5 and 6 at the same time. I don't know a thing about TV contracts or production. I do remember reading that this was not the norm, and that most shows are re-upped on a season by season basis. My thoughts are if they have a contract for season 6 last year while shooting season 5, they could shoot scenes for season 6. I am not going to assume the fate of Jon Snow, but it would be brilliant if they have already shot his scenes from season 6. They know the fans follow the production very closely and know if Kit showed up on set this summer it would spoil his return. Just a thought.

...and this is what you get when you end a season on a cliffhanger like this.

Interviews asking the question over and over again. What does everyone expect?

"No I'm not dead I'm signed for next year and I'll be back."

Please, of course it's going to be denial regardless of his true fate.

They probably ended the season this way strictly for GRRM in case he gets his new book out between seasons.

It was a stupid idea otherwise to end the season with a cliffhanger like that. It would have been a better penultimate episode with a bit of a followup in episode 10. If they didn't have a book unreleased they may have done it that way. The fate of Jon is probably such a big deal they would have spoiled Martin's reveal in the book if they put in in screen this past weekend.

Ok I'm officially toucanned out. GRRM finishing WoW by next year! Good times.

To reiterate what a couple of other posters have hit upon

1. Kill the boy so the man can be born. You cannot get more literal than this.

2. Another poster said when Jon Snow is resurrected or comes back he will be no longer held by the vows of the NW. I sort of agree and sort of disagree. When Jon Snow wakes up, there will be no NW. There is no purpose for the current instantiation of the NW if the surviving wildlings are already south of the wall. Tormund will kill the shit out of them, at least those who are disloyal to Jon. The remainder will be in "figure it out" mode.

3. I suspect Jon will be in a coma-like state until someone figures out who his real parents are. Most likely, Mel will figure out his blood is King's blood. Someone else will show up and either find a clue in the crypts of Winterfell or be a stand-in for Howland Reed.

He is not dead dead, Kit was already spotted in Belfast and he has his Jon Snow haircut (Filming begins in July).

Nah, he's like visiting friends and taking in the sights....in Belfast. Nothing wrong with Belfast but you know, it's Belfast.

Archived